Notices

Class of March 2010

Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their support yesterday! I had a real wobbly. I thought to stay up in that Pink Cloud as Anna called it forever! Well, I guess life, as we know it, is still here and needs to be dealt with.... Okay, got it, one day at a time! So that is exactly what I will do.

I am up awful early, but had a good night sleep. Dawning of day 10! Remember as a kid I thought 10 was magical because it was 2 full hands, when I was really little (before I could count) I always thought 10 or the "2 full hands" was the max, so that is going to be my attitude for today. I have reached 2 full hands.

Another day of sobriety to look forward too and hope everyone is doing well.
:ghug3 Signing off now and my next post will be from the Gulf Coast! (that is sparkling water with a lemon twist in that glass, in case anyone is wondering!)
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Marchies,

Really thankful for all your posts. I have been off wine for over a week now. My headache is finally gone. Still feeling depressed but not hungover so I'll take that.

Best to all
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

LifeIs, you will have a lot more Pink Cloud days, but there will be some difficult days, as well. I hope you enjoy your vacation in Florida!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I agree with Snarf in the sense that I spent so much time drinking, thinking about drinking, or recovering from drinking, and that if I can spend even a fraction of that time on my recovery I think I will be in pretty good shape. It's worked so far, even though the euphoria of my initial few days of sobriety has vanished.

Last night I dealt with my first serious, pull your hair and kick the cat (jk) craving, and I just kept thinking about all the progress I've made and how crappy it felt to wake up from a night of getting hammered. I made myself an orange juice and sparkling water "cocktail" in my favorite wine glass, sat on the sofa and read a book I WANTED to read (full time student here as well) and that helped calm me down a bit. I think part of the reason I had such a love affair with booze is that, in a weird way, it helped me recognize when I needed to slow down and take a break. Only that break would end up being two bottles of wine and some xanax... So I've learned that I need to listen to myself in terms of stress and feeling overwhelmed.

I spent so much time drinking, both in hours of the day and years, that I think I constructed my whole sense of who I was around booze. It's been my biggest hobby and the thing I have devoted most of my time to for a decade. Now that the initial "YES! SOBER!" period has passed for me, I feel like I don't know who I am or what I want out of life. Anyone else feel like that? I kind of feel like Rip Van Winkle waking up after years of slumber and having no idea what just happened to me. Weird feeling.

I guess it could be a positive thing that I get to reinvent myself according to healthier values and a humbler perspective on life, but sometimes the emptiness, loneliness, and anxiety is hard to cope with. I guess it's an adventure either way... What I know for sure is that I can't go back to the way I was living two and a half weeks ago. I keep telling myself that I don't have to see the top of the mountain to take the first step, but it's a bit scary not knowing where I'm going.

Hope all is well with all of you. This forum does keep me sane in a big way, so thanks to you all for being here and sharing

Amy
Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SoberSoFar,

I understand what you're saying.

I read a book by the actress Mia Farrow called "What Falls Away". When I started to read it, I was intrigued by the title, but didn't really get it. In Mia's case, what falls away during a time of crisis, was almost everything she had believed about herself. What was left behind - the core of who she was. And, that's how I felt when I stopped drinking. My beliefs about myself were shattered and I had no idea who I was. And, that's what recovery is about.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I've passed the 2-week mark, everybody! Thanks for being here. Everybody has been a huge help in staying away from the booze. I'm so very thankful for my March classmates and for the SR community as a whole.

Let's make today an awesome day!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Congrats Snarf! Awesome work
Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
AA Member

Way to go on Snarf !!!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

23 days are officially behind me. Staying strong but darn it I missed the pink cloud this time. Maybe hopefully it will come late! Congrats to everyone.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jhay View Post
Staying strong but darn it I missed the pink cloud this time. Maybe hopefully it will come late!
Me too, Jhay

Congrats on 23 days, that is huge!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Great job, guys! It's amazing to me how I used to fight having a drink (and I always lost that fight), but now it's like the desire has been lifted. I know there are better things to do with my time/money.

A friend of mine decided to stop drinking this week (Monday). She's having a bit of a rough time with the fact that she will have to do some things sober that she used to do drunk. She couldn't believe that I went to the Braves' opener Monday without drinking. I told her it was easy; I just didn't walk up to the beer stand and hand the guy $7. The Braves allow you to bring in your own non-alcoholic beverages in plastic bottles, so I spent $12 on Cokes and bottled waters for my fiancee and me, took them into the game, and they lasted the whole time.

We used to spend like $50+ on beer alone! My bank account is happy with me right now.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

What happened to March, people?! Where did everyone go? I have been sober for 29 days. Today, I realized that I have always thought that 4 weeks was 30 days was a month. Turns out 7+7+7+7=28 LOLOLOL!! Ah, it's the little things in life, isn't it? Hope all of you March-ites are well.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Doing great! Now on Day 27, and feeling soooooo much better (physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually).
Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Day 21 now - three weeks. Longest period of abstinence in a very, very long time.

Long may it continue.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

21 days for me today I've been keeping busy, lots to do around here. I have been drinking Sprite Zero in a wine glass at night (I really like holding the glass??). I've had a major craving or two, but pouring the sprite in the wine glass and thinking about why I am having the craving seems to help. The first week was really hard... I was very depressed and had no energy. Now my energy is back and I have a really clean house to boot!

I love NOT having a massive headache when I wake up in the morning. I love NOT waking up at 3 am feeling like crap and not being able to get back to sleep for 2 hours. I am so thankful that when I am sober, I do NOT pick fights at night with my poor husband (and not remembering why in the morning). Crazy stuff. I have a 12 year history of doing all that (and plenty more!) garbage. I have a LONG way to go, but I am thankful that I started this journey again.

Thanks for continuing the thread SSF. I was wondering what was up with the March folks too. Keep at it
Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Reubena, that's funny, I also use my wine glass when I have a craving and it helps for some reason. Glad to see everyone is doing well.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

SSF: Looks like you hit the month mark
Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

March 25, 2010: my Independence Day.

I've always gone along with the crowd, yet always somehow managed to become the leader of the crowd. Always got myself roped into situations I didn't want to be and/or knew I shouldn't be in, but once there, I took charge and became the lead partier. Somewhat of a leader-follower, if you will.

But that changed 1 month ago today. Now when I get off work and people ask if I want a drink, instead of not wanting one but having it anyway (and then another, and then another...), I can say, "No thanks," and head home. When friends are going to a bar, rather than going and spending money I know I can't spend, I'm OK just staying home and watching some TV. I finally feel content doing what I want to do.

Heard something cool in a meeting today. When I'm faced with certain situations, rather than struggling and looking at it as saying "No" to something (a drink, or going somewhere I don't need to go, or whatever), I can look at that decision as saying "Yes" to something else. "Yes" to my sobriety, or to God, or to my future, or whatever. It's a lot easier to say "Yes" to something positive than "No" to something negative.

Hope all my March classmates are doing well!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
It's a lot easier to say "Yes" to something positive than "No" to something negative.
Excellent Snarf, I agree. Glad you are doing so well
Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Back from the dead, the March 2010 thread lives!

Just wanted to pop in an see how everyone's doing. Myself, I turned 29 last Saturday and I think it was the first sober birthday I've had since 18. Today, I'm celebrating 6 weeks without the booze. And I've found some struggles along the way, but my biggest struggle is facing my problems in a mature manner without resorting to alcohol.

Those first couple weeks of sobriety, it seemed as though all my problems had vanished. I had asked God to remove from me the affliction of alcoholism, and he did. I asked him to ease my mind of things that had been bothering me, and he did. I asked for his will, instead of mine, to be done in my troubled relationship, and I believe it was his will that things have greatly improved with my fiancee. I was floating on Cloud 9 those first 3 weeks or so.

Then reality hit me. I still had bills, I still had school, I still had unaddressed legal issues, I still had family responsibilities, I still had a home life to manage, only I had been avoiding all these things and drinking instead. Now not only were these problems still there, but I had to actually deal with them! And go to meetings and talk to my sponsor and read the literature and all that! How in the world was I going to make this work? And how could I take on all this without having a drink or 12 to unwind?

Well, I'm making it work by keeping things as simple as possible. "One day at a time," they say. It's not perfect, but I try really hard to not worry about things in the future. I try not to get inside my head and concern myself with the outcomes of events that haven't even happened yet. All I can really do is try every day and to take the right steps toward staying sober, being a decent person and contributing to this world in a positive manner. And I've found that the only way I can do those things is to give up my will, which always lead to trouble, and to ask my God to use me as a tool to do his will. Only by giving up, giving in and accepting that I'm not in charge was I able to find any real empowerment.

Now I wake up in the morning and go to the gym to work out before my day gets started. I go to work and I go to meetings. I check in on SR every day. I read my books. I'm kind to people. But these things don't happen by my will. My will got me drunk and in jail and caused me to lose relationships that I really cared about. Only through my God's will have I been able to stay sober and on the right track. And I am so thankful that I no longer go to bed or wake up with regrets over my actions. I am thankful that I have peace.