Notices

Class of March 2010

Old 04-03-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Great job, rr! 5 more days and you'll be at a whole month!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
AA Member

3/3/10

Hello all, I checked into detox on 3/2/10 so my first dry day was 3/3/10 one month today..feeling pretty good today its been a lot of ups and downs emotionally and physically but getting better. for me AA has worked, also working a intensive outpatient program threw the hospital. it took 30 yeas and lots of false starts to get to this point. this is the first time i got outside help and i am glad i did. so with AA and SR i am looking forward to living a sober life...
Old 04-03-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'm not new to SR as this is my 3rd attempt to get sober. (m.o. is to drink 1+ bottles of wine at night). I've been sober since March 29. It's going pretty well with the exception of a nagging headache that doesn't really want to go away. Feels good to be back
Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dawning of Day 7

Happy Easter Bunnies to all!

Today is one week, gosh that sounds great. Feels like a milestone.

No headache at all yesterday, so can confirm "yes, they do go away". Didn't even have that vague tight band that I had on day 5.

Slept fitfully, almost 6 hours, but that is fine for my age and the fact that I am traveling today. Like a kid I always get excited when I am going somewhere and tend to wake early.

I posted last night on the Alcoholics thread about a BBC documentary I found on here called Rain in My Heart. It is the tragic story of 4 alcoholics who are at the end. It is very sad and a wake up call that we are lucky to have made this decision for sobriety before it is too late. I recommend it to all of you. It was filmed some time ago, but still very current for all of us.

Wishing all of you another awesome day of sobriety. Good Luck!

Last edited by Dee74; 04-03-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: removed forum link
Old 04-03-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

The links LifeIs mentioned are here:

PART 1:
http://www.youtube.com/v/NP0InrPZpjg

PART 2:
http://www.youtube.com/v/8Tcm3IDZ2ho

PART 3:
http://www.youtube.com/v/ISDRoVKH5D8

PART 4:
http://www.youtube.com/v/ySypPv_L_Wg

PART 5:
http://www.youtube.com/v/udOntjDQ3Gg

PART 6:
http://www.youtube.com/v/bX7z41o_k04

PART 7:
http://www.youtube.com/v/n9z3413-jqA

PART 8:
http://www.youtube.com/v/EhXUGB69ITs

PART 9:
http://www.youtube.com/v/GEj3wLwjG78

PART 10:
http://www.youtube.com/v/EQdJ5vchsGs

BONUS: "Revisiting Rain in My Heart"

reading: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/7140605.stm

video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...nbwm=1&bbram=1

D
Old 04-03-2010, 10:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Pretty sure I've missed Easter gatherings with my family due to drinking. I'll be missing one tomorrow, but it's legit: I'm working. But at least I'm telling them the truth this year when I say I have to be at work! Like, working for real money, not working on killing a 12-pack.

Oh, I'll be working on my recovery as well. Definitely gonna hit an Easter meeting before work.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Two weeks in... six minutes You guys are all awesome. I am so glad I found this place.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Easter gang

D
Old 04-04-2010, 01:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I totally ruined last Easter. Won around £300 at the bookies on the Wednesday and then hit the booze on the Thursday through to the Monday. If I remember correctly, I never even spoke to my Girlfriend last Easter Sunday.

Here's to a Happy and sober Easter.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well, Easter Sunday almost done, or at least lunch is finished, all kinds of foods and lots of wine flowing, have your pick, red or white. It wasn't all that tough, I mean, I sort of expected it to be harder to say "no thank you". But it all went quite smoothly.

I have a headache now, but think it could be from the tension of the long drive this morning in the pouring rain, plus the worry about the lunch and wine. I don't know, but am glad that I made it through my first "public appearance", even though it was all family.

I hope everyone else is enjoying their Sunday and the holiday sober free.

I am just glad I have SR to reach out too every moment that I feel the need, thanks so much to everyone who reads and posts, so many threads and posts give me the courage to stay sober, ideas to think about and the knowledge that I am not alone. I think that last one is probably the most important for me right now.

You all Rock!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
AA Member

Happy Easter all, this will be the first holliday I can remember being sober in a long long time..looking forward to remembering the time with my two boys. I am so grateful for this sight and being sober.. I hope every one has a great day..
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Finishing up Day 8

Have been busy today, almost a normal day, no headache or anything. Slept well and that helps a lot!

Sitting in this house surrounded by all kinds of bottles... have small "moments" of like thinking... "well, no one would know", "no one would see", but I shake myself and pull myself together... I did keep busy with family most of the day and that helped. Am going to bed soon, so that will help and tomorrow I need to be out most of the day to do the last things for my big trip on Wednesday. Looking forward to this nice long holiday.

Spoke a long time to my brother today, he said since I arrive too late on Wednesday night, we will go to an AA meeting first thing on thursday morning. It is going to be wonderful for me to be staying with him and the support I know I will have. I can't wait, he was already offering advice on a sponsor for me, but then pulled back and said, but you have to choose who you are comfortable with. He is so sweet, I do love him dearly.

Well this is Italy signing off, handing the posts now over to North america, where there is still sunshine. Good night to all.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I had an awesome day. Got to go to Opening Day and watch my Braves put a hurtin' on the Cubs. Surrounded by beer the whole time, and I didn't want any. Kept thinking of how much money I was saving by not paying $6.50 for a 16oz beer, how much money the team and city were taking in with all the beer lines jammed up for miles, how I wasn't acting like the drunk fools in the stands and how I would remember the most awesome game forever since I wasn't wasted.

Took a cooler with 3 Cokes and 3 waters. Total cost: $9. Staying sober at the game: Priceless.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 9

Wow, not sleeping enough... Am I still in withdrawal or is it just the excitement of my trip tomorrow? So many last minute things to take care of today. I am feeling anxious and nervous. The euphoric feeling of being sober seems to have passed.... oh I loved that feeling. Now, am I just stuck with me??!??!

I don't know, did I expect that bright new feeling of sobriety to stay with me forever? Well, it would have been nice, it was a good high! It is so much easier not to drink when you are feeling all warm and fuzzy about yourself. I am afraid it is going to be a tough day. Good I will be out all morning running errands from one end of the city to another, which is so stressful anyway (yea, left too much for the last day). I just hope the utter exhaustion of the traffic, etc doesn't get me down even more.

Anyone have any magic words to help me feel better? What is everyone else feeling these days? Anyone with similar symptoms?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Don't have any magic words, LI, but now on Day 13 I'm also over the initial euphoric feeling of abstinence. But throughout the day I think of the ridiculous nonsense I used to do when I was drunk or the absurd lengths I went to get drunk. Then I think about what I did yesterday and it makes me realize that I really like myself a lot more now. I'm going to meetings every day (think I'm between 27-30 now after 12 days...I lost count). I'm reading the Big Book. I talk to my sponsor. I get on here. It's like the BB says, helping others with their problems helps me to stay sober. How can I help someone else if I go out and have a drink?

I also have a lot to do to keep me busy. I work full time and I'm a full-time student. There's always some reading or homework I could do, and I work in a restaurant, so I can usually pick up a shift if I want to. Working keeps me busy, and I make money. Only now I don't spend half that money at the bar when I get off; it actually comes all the way home with me. Kinda neat. Also, I went to the Braves game yesterday. Yes, I was surrounded by beer, but I'm a serious fan. I listen to the game on the radio while I'm watching it, take pictures for posterity, hand out with my girl and friends...All good, clean fun (as long as you don't drink alcohol).

Positive reinforcement has been a big help for me as well. My fiancee left me a voice message while I was in jail for my second DUI (13 days ago) saying she was over it, I needed to move out, she didn't want to ever talk to me again, etc. That was heartbreaking; we've been together nearly 7 years. But she's seeing the changes in me. After about a week, our relationship starting getting better day by day, and now toward the end of the second week it's stronger than it was before. I ask her how her day was, and how she's feeling, because I'm not drunk and I actually do care. I cook dinner. I look her in the eyes and tell her how much I love her. I put her new air filter in her car the other day. The little things. But I can see how they are strengthening my relationship, and I know how shattered we both would be if I drank again, and there's no way that's happening.

Like I said, I work in a restaurant. Booze everywhere. People who work in restaurants drink a lot. Many of my friends have seen me leaving without drinking after my shift. They ask if I'm staying for a beer and I say no. Now they're saying things like, "Man, I wish I could stop drinking," or, "Man, that's awesome. Wish I could control it." I tell them they can. That helps me a lot as well. Plus my sponsor is seeing progress, so that's really good motivation for me to keep going.

At the game yesterday, my best friend told me he was proud of me for doing the AA program and for staying off the booze. He was drinking at the game, but my girl and I had our Coca-Cola and bottled water. Another of my buddies before the game, while we were grilling burgers and dogs, said he wished he could stop drinking (as he was pounding beers). I said he could if he wanted to. I planted a seed. He now knows he can talk to me about my experience if he wants to stop. So I can't drink if I ever have hope to help him, right? My other buddy said I was doing a great job just drinking my water while we were cooking. That positive reinforcement goes a long way.

Find the things about your sober self that make you feel proud. Do those things, and if you can't do them, just think about how good they make you feel. Think about how that would be ruined if you picked up a drink. Don't ever think about how good a drink COULD be; think about how bad you KNOW it can be. Some days we're gonna feel down, and yes, we will want a drink. But we can't let that happen. It will always be worse than you imagine it will be, and I have a feeling that with patience, willingness, an open mind and daily action my sobriety can be better than I imagine it will be. May not happen tomorrow, but I've seen the evidence in the AA rooms. I've seen the long-termers who have happiness and peace and serenity. And I know they didn't get that way after 2 weeks. I put a lot of time into my drinking. I'm gonna put more into my sobriety.

Stay strong!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
AA Member

Hi LifeIs, i know what you are talking about with the withdraw feelings. for me it has been 34 days and within the last week i am stating to feel better. i did get the euphoric feeling the first two weeks or so... I am going to an out patient treatment program and was told about PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) this is a good link explaining PAWS.. Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma it dose get better.. vitamins help me especially the B vitamins. hope your trip goes well.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LifeIs,

I never experienced the 'pink cloud' feeling that people talk about. I think I was so distressed about hurting my family and my health, that I just stumbled through a kind of grey fog in my first week of sobriety.

You will have to learn how to live life without alcohol, but know you can do it. You really can. You can learn how to deal with your emotions and life's ups and downs. Doing that will give you strength and peace in your life.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

End of day 9

Thanks to those who replied. Miss the pink cloud, but maybe it is just the nervousness of flying tomorrow that is getting me down. I really hate flying. I mean, heck, I am sober and I am now finishing my 9th day. I have so much to be proud and happy about.

Read everything I could find on PAWs and sent the link to my brother, too. It is quite interesting that a strong possibility is there that we will have these insidious triggers for a long time to come.

Got everything done I needed today, so am all set to go. Will be checking in, probably not tomorrow, but soon, 6 hours behind where I am now.

Hope everyone else is keeping sober, too and stay strong!:ghug3
Old 04-06-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Life Is

I missed this thread

My experience with PAWs is that the feelings came and went pretty quickly and each time it happened I was more and more capable of dealing with it

It's another recovery challenge but it's certainly not ever present or insurmountable
D
Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Been sober since march 20th.. Seems so long ago..