Notices

Class of March 2010

Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Class of March 2010

Hi to all of you who began your sobriety during the month of March.

I am opening this thread for those who wish to post their day to day progress, problems, hurdles, obstacles (both faced or overcome).

Any ideas or thoughts one may have. Anything that anyone would like to share.

We are here to support ourselves and one another, let's make the most of it and maybe even be encouragement to those that follow as so many here are encouraging us.

All the best and keep strong!

LifeIs...

Sobriety Date: 29 March 2010
Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 5

Am on my 5th day today, slept rather well last night almost 7 straight hours. Headache is practically gone.... I guess I can stop fretting about having a stroke now from the detoxing on my own!

It is getting better and better and I have not been so happy in a long time. This was a great decision.

I have chosen to live!

Life Is....

Sobriety Date: 29 March 2010
Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Shocking Truth

I am on Day 6 and it's been too easy. That's why I'm here. I want support for when it gets difficult.

I AM SO HAPPY
Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One week sober. Feeling good, but trying not to get too excited about it yet. Thanks to all on this forum. What a great site!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day four for me and the way I felt on Tuesday morning seems like a different world to how I'm feeling now. No inclination to booze but the hard work is still ahead.

All the best to everyone of us!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

6 days...

Hi all, I would love to join this class! Last time I drank was 3/27. I have to admit as always the thought of drinking again is starting to run through my mind. I am usually sooo sick after one of my binges that it seems impossible to want to do that to myself again. The thing is that because of my PMDD I only get out of control-violent- during the end of the month and drink without incident any other time. I definitely do not drink normally and haven't since the first time I drank, age 13 so I know I have a real problem with drinking. Since I am a binge drinker I feel like it's not as hard for me as some of you others to go a week but right now is my hard time. If I can get past this next week then that's something for me. I have to admit my motivation right now is my 15 year old son who had to witness once again his mother being thrown to the ground, hand cuffed and taken away by the police. He definitely does not understand why I would WANT to drink. Actually neither do I??
Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Jekyll, keep that memory of your son's pain fresh in your mind. Tell yourself every single day that you never want him to witness or hear of something like that again.

I'm on Day 9. I feel fantastic, like a new person. Actually, I kind of feel like I did when I was a teenager, before I started drinking heavily. I'm excited about things. I see little signs every day pointing me in the right direction. And when something has been weighing on my mind, I've been able to sit back, ask my God to take the burden and place it on him, and I've felt a freedom that I can't quite recall ever feeling.

I've done it with AA, my sponsor, schoolwork, a commitment to show my girl that I am changing my ways, a promise to myself to lead a new fruitful life, and of course, the wonderful people here on SR.

I know AA isn't for everyone, and it wasn't for me 4 years ago when I first went in those rooms. But it's been great.

Though I have some legal troubles upcoming, I feel I can accept what is given to me. First of all, I don't have much of a choice and can't control the outcome, and second, I believe that I will have the strength to withstand anything.

I have been given but a tiny glimpse of the life I can lead. If I feel this good this early in my recovery, what in the world could make me want to turn my back on it? Certainly not another booze-filled bender crashing me back to Earth. The high I'm on right now is so much better than the lows I felt with the bottle. I assume it will only get better, and I can't wait.

First day post-alcohol: 25 March 2010
Old 04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post

I know AA isn't for everyone, and it wasn't for me 4 years ago when I first went in those rooms.
Same here, June '06, I think it was. Still don't know if I'll go back but I can see the advantages in it.

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
I've done it with AA, my sponsor, schoolwork, a commitment to show my girl that I am changing my ways, a promise to myself to lead a new fruitful life, and of course, the wonderful people here on SR.
Those parts ring very true with my own situation also.

Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Frank, I'm lucky. I live in the Atlanta area, and there are 1200 meetings a week. It's easy to "shop around" until you find the meeting(s) that suit you best. And I don't always agree with or like everything that people say in AA, but I always take something away from a meeting that I need.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For our newly sober members......

Congratulations!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To AA or not to AA, that is the question

This is my first time ever quitting, but I have accompanied one of my brothers to a few AA meetings. I rather liked them, AA actually helped 2 of my brothers. I am agnostic but still if I had AA available, I think I would give it a go. Actually, I have practiced on and off and studied Buddhism for the last couple of years.

I am visiting my brother from mid next week in Florida and WILL attend and am looking forward to the further support. Right now it is only me and this computer link to SR... I would love to have real people to talk too, a sponsor all for me! Gosh a hug would be great right about now, believe me. They have AA here in the big cities, even in English, but I would need to drive 3-4 hours to get there and the same coming back.

So, everyone says that AA is not for everyone, BUT, hell, from my prospective, I would take all the help available, despite color, creed or whatever. Anyway, can't hurt to try it.

What ya'll think?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

AA is what has worked for me so far. I wonder if you may be able to find online AA meetings. I'm sure there's a way to find a sponsor that can help you one-on-one but not fact-to-face. Good luck to you!
Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you guys doing so well

D
Old 04-02-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've returned. I was in last year's class of April and went back out after almost 4 months. My name is Jenn & I'm an alcoholic and an addict. This is day 16& this time I'm serious about it. It's a life or death situation for me & I have survived & am being given another chance @ life. Seeing my old sponsor again, going to @ least one meeting everyday, & went back to my psychaitrist so I can healthily medicate myself & work through things instead of escaping.

It's a beautiful day to be alive & sober. Hang in there guys.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

lifeIs.....

Here is the official AA site.

Alcoholics Anonymous :

Check out the information on.....Loners AA
Old 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back jhay, and focused on your recovery.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back jhay!

D
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dawning of Day 6

Didn't sleep as long as I would have wished, but due to the excitement of traveling soon, rather than the detox I am sure. So much to do today!

I didn't really even have a headache yesterday, just a bit tight around the forehead. Hey, ya know, I think I am out of the woods. Still took an aspirin last night when I went to bed, for little achy pains, but that could be age, too! Ya know I haven't taken the best care of myself in a LONG time, surprised?!?!

My eldest lives in the canary islands, we speak on skype just about every day. I told him that I was an alcoholic last night, he wasn't surprised. I also told him I had been sober for 5 days (as of last night). He said that was the BEST news I could have ever given him, he had tears in his eyes! Okay, one down and 2 more to go!

I do have something that made me sad and a little worried... I went through really old posts on this thread yesterday and saw so many people like us, posts full of hope, expectations and will to live.... just like I am now. People shouting out "day 3", "day 6", day 10", etc... then nothing more. No more posts at all. I began wondering about these people, did they not make it? Is this a bad omen, will it happen to me? I found it depressing and scary. I can't afford to fall off the wagon, it will kill me. I know I need to shake the feeling, continue with my positive attitude, but it gave me thought.

Hope the rest of my comrades are still hanging in there and thanks to everyone! We all have another awesome day of sobriety to look forward too!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by LifeIs View Post
I went through really old posts on this thread yesterday and saw so many people like us, posts full of hope, expectations and will to live.... just like I am now. People shouting out "day 3", "day 6", day 10", etc... then nothing more. No more posts at all. I began wondering about these people, did they not make it? Is this a bad omen, will it happen to me?
The only way it will happen to you is if you pick up a drink. As long as you don't do that, you'll be OK. I know that's part 1 of my plan: "DON'T PICK UP A DRINK!"

Stay strong. We need to show these other months what we're made of!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i have been sober since march 8th, hard at times but looking and feeling better already.