Notices

My ego

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I feel like this is the only place I can be truly honest with what's going on with me. I went to a meeting about a year ago and it just didn't work for me. Looking back I am starting to see that I was just so full of myself I don't think I wanted it to work. The Mr. Hyde in my brain wanting to keep the addiction alive. I really don't want to come off as some jerk complaining all the time. I just feel so desperate and alone.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

In answer to the question, how to get sober(?), follow the path others have followed, listen to their advice. Recognize that you probably can't do this thing alone, and that it is going to be a job and quite a bit of work to get sober.

And, what is wrong with that?

If you are like the rest of us, you have spent a lot of time and effort being drunk so sobering up will probably take about the same amount of time and effort. So why not give it that time and effort?

I would suggest a program: whatever and wherever. AA, or a secular alternative.
Going to one meeting and not liking it is like saying you didn't like reading that one book. All of us have read at least one book we didn't like, but that didn't stop us from reading.
Give another meeting a chance!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueBlaze View Post
I feel like this is the only place I can be truly honest with what's going on with me. I went to a meeting about a year ago and it just didn't work for me. Looking back I am starting to see that I was just so full of myself I don't think I wanted it to work. The Mr. Hyde in my brain wanting to keep the addiction alive. I really don't want to come off as some jerk complaining all the time. I just feel so desperate and alone.
First of all your not alone. My first question to you is do you have any booze in the house? If so you need to dump it get rid of the temptation. Sounds to me like your going through withdrawals not to worry they don't last for ever. I remember I had many sleepless nights when I first quit,....I took a lot of long walks and probably watched to much TV I just rode it out. I was paying the piper is the way I saw it. Eventually I started sleeping better. I went to as many meetings as possible. Telling people about my disease came later when I was comfortable about first admitting it to myself. If you truly want recovery you can start by praying for those you look down upon. Just my thought is all,....you need to find what works for you,...but I strongly recommend meetings.

By the way thank you for sharing.....you can do this!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael

Admitting we're an alcoholic is one thing...accepting it is another.

I can tell you what not to do - don't ignore it, don't put it off, don't let despair overwhelm you and drive you back to the bottle.

Bottom line - there's only one way to get out of this cycle - and thats to stop drinking. Now.

Do that first...(and whatever you need to keep that up, be it counselling, AA or whatever)...worry about everything else - telling people, accepting it, lies coming back... after that.

First things first.

Whatever you have to deal with, you'll be better placed to do that sober, mate

D