Notices

Yet another wakeup call

Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yet another wakeup call

Not sure if this is a big arrow pointing to me because I am not sure how common this is and I apologise if anyone closely affected by this terrible occurance reads this and it upsets them - I am sorry for your loss.

I just recieved a phone call telling me a member of my extended family has passed away from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome - I honestly did not know it even existed. The person who who passed was only in his early 20's and by all accounts fit, happy and healthy, just going about his work and fell down with no warning - there was nothing anyone could do. There is no one to blame, no prank gone wrong, no illness, no silly behaviour, no drunk driver, it just is.

The family is obviously devastated and in shock - this has me thinking about all the stupid things I have done and all the times I have put myself in danger through drinking - how selfish to not even consider the affect on those left behind - I feel terribly ashamed and more than a little guilty that these tradgedies can happen to good people when I happily put myself in harms way and came out unscathed anyway I guess I just needed to tell someone, I have realised I don't have many people I speak to while sober except for my family and they are all dealing with the grief themselves and I don't think subjecting them to my self pity would be vary fair. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drama, I definitely get it. I have a friend who died of liver cancer and she was a vibrant woman in her 30s who was very healthy in her behavior. I don't fully understand the background to it, but it really hit me (especially when it comes to the liver, which I have not been nice to). I feel lucky in a lot of ways now that I am dealing with my powerlessness when it comes to alcohol and am sober. Will be 100 days around the end of Feb, so I look forward to passing that "probation" period too.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm so sorry for your loss...it is always sad and hard to lose a younger member of the family...was it a cardiac event?

you'll be doing a lot of soul-searching and thinking this weekend?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss DramaPrincess. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Hate to ask, but I've heard of SIDS (Sudden infant death syndrome) but what exactly is "Sudden Adult Death Syndrome"?

Steve
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for your loss Drama Princess.

D
Old 02-20-2010, 12:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ok - I am so not an expert (all I know came courtesy of google today) but from what I can see on the SADS UK website around 500 young people die from it per year and there may be no warning at all or the person may feel dizzy first. They can not be sure of how many actually die from it because they believe some accidents may actually be caused by the person suffering from SADS. The website says it may caused by a few different things but commonly it is heart arrithmia and may be genetic. I know in this case the SADS diagnosis was given because in the autopsy they could not find anything at all - so who knows really.

I am not religious (as in I do not conform to any one beleif system) but I guess I am spiritual and these last few days have gone a long way to affirm my belief in something bigger - there must be a plan and a reason for everything - even if we can't see it right now, I just have to believe that or I might just go crazy
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How ironic that my screen name was meant to poke fun at my tendency towards the melodramatic when drinking(although not quite a full blown Drama Queen - others I know claim that title hehe) and here I am feeling so many feelings with so many thoughts running around my head (and wildly swinging moods) that the way I am sober todays puts my best Merryl Streep moments to shame when drinking hah - sorry that was just a personal reflection
Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow only 500 people a year. So sorry this had to happen to someone in your family. I know you said your not a religious person, but hope you wont mind if I say a prayer for you&your family. Again very sorry for your lose. I hope you find some peace tonight in dealing with this.

Steve
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Steve - I appriciate it - don't get me wrong I believe in god and faith and being good to others - so any prayers are thankfully recieved
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drama, I'm sort of spiritual lately too. I'm noticing it more. (This is in no way how I used to be, ha ha.)
Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

My condolences Drama
Something that must be terrible. Be strong.