View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DramaPrincess

Yet another wakeup call

Not sure if this is a big arrow pointing to me because I am not sure how common this is and I apologise if anyone closely affected by this terrible occurance reads this and it upsets them - I am sorry for your loss.

I just recieved a phone call telling me a member of my extended family has passed away from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome - I honestly did not know it even existed. The person who who passed was only in his early 20's and by all accounts fit, happy and healthy, just going about his work and fell down with no warning - there was nothing anyone could do. There is no one to blame, no prank gone wrong, no illness, no silly behaviour, no drunk driver, it just is.

The family is obviously devastated and in shock - this has me thinking about all the stupid things I have done and all the times I have put myself in danger through drinking - how selfish to not even consider the affect on those left behind - I feel terribly ashamed and more than a little guilty that these tradgedies can happen to good people when I happily put myself in harms way and came out unscathed anyway I guess I just needed to tell someone, I have realised I don't have many people I speak to while sober except for my family and they are all dealing with the grief themselves and I don't think subjecting them to my self pity would be vary fair. Thanks for listening.