Notices

Realizing that Alcohol is no longer a friend....

Old 01-23-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you Alizerin!

When it came to alcohol I have been in denial for a very long time. I thought that could never be me....now after so many years of abuse and denial....I am an alcoholic. It is shocking to say the least but its the truth.

I feel like I'm in the right spot, the trick is going to be in keeping that feeling going for the rest of my life. The alcoholism never goes away and one more sip leads me right back to where I'm at now and more than likely worse. I'm still young and have a whole lot more living that I want to do.....without booze.

I have all intentions of going to meetings as it will be another step in the right direction. I can't come back to this same spot one more time and anything that will help me achieve that...I'm down for.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I hope the meeting goes well. How I'd love to accompany so many here. Like show up at your door and drag you out. I would too. ;-)
Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Seekinghope, welcome.

Originally Posted by Seekinghope23 View Post
Is there ever a point where the cravings stop or will it always be there for me?

To answer your questions this is what it says in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, p84.

"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we aftraid. That is our experience. This is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."

These promises of the cravings and obsession for alcohol being removed are fulfilled when you work the 12 Steps of AA.

As has been said here, AA is free, so you have nothing to lose. You won't have to feel shame there for what you have done while drunk. People will understand and will probably share similar stories.

Will-power doesn't last long so please get to a meeting - today if possible and tell someone there you need help. You do not have to do this alone.

As to the physical withdrawal symptoms, it might be wise to talk to your doctor or pyschiatrist about these. If the body is physically dependant on alcohol, going through withdrawal without medication can be dangerous.

And post plenty here on SR - that's also good for your recovery
Old 01-24-2010, 05:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

SH23: Welcome To SR! i Very Much Enjoyed Reading Your Story.. You Will Find Good Support Here.. Thanks For Sharing!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR, this site is fab and kickstarted my recovery process , whatever happens in the future i'll always be grateful to SR YAY!
you are so right about alcoholism being like an abusive relationship, alcohol would beat me down regularly but i would still go back for more punishment until in the end i knew i would die if i didnt get out of it,i eventually had a moment of clarity and reached out for help.
i dont know exactly how long i have been sober because i personally dont find it helpful to count days ,but life truly is so much better now i dont have to worry about who ive drunk texed or emailed, or if ive actually hurt someone in one of my drunken rampages,
please keep posting, theres also a mine of info here
Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Keepcominback,

Originally Posted by keepcominback View Post
[Where is the promise that the craving and obsession for alcohol being removed are fulfilled when you work the 12 steps of AA?

Let's not make promises about when cravings or obsession being removed will be fullfilled.
It's not me making the promises, the Big Book does.

Most people are aware of the P83 promises "If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through........" because they are read a lot in meetings but there are lots of other promises in the book.

I just found this site where someone else has kindly listed them all if you are interested

Friends of Bill W. - The Big Book Promises

You say you get upset if someone promises you something and you don't get it.......does this mean that the person doing the promising is wrong?

Anyway back to the newcomer and the purpose of this thread - we offer hope and a solution.

In the early days all the newcomer is interested in is getting rid of the maddening and overwhelming cravings to drink alcohol and I have seen time and time again people on this site saying that they rarely ever think of alcohol when they are working the 12 Steps of AA. In my opinion that is the message the newcomer wants to hear.
Take care.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow, your post was like one I could have written. The mornings after when you wake up and don't know where you are, or where your car is, or how you got to where you are is terrifying! When I was younger I actually thought it was funny. Not so much anymore!

I have been in numerous hit and runs, including a very bad one last year where I was just waiting for the police to come to my door. I totalled my car. And somehow still did not get in any trouble, except for the expense of my car. It's a nice feeling to have a cop following me now and think, I don't have anything to be scared of....I haven't been drinking
Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I just wanted to thank everyone that read and replied to my story as it means a lot to me. Alcoholism is something that I have struggled with, and lived in shame of for a long time, and until recently thought that there was no point in even trying to beat. However after getting such a warm response and realizing that this can be done I am confidently and readily going into this situation with my head held high and pride in the fact that I am ready to change my life.

I'm going into day three sober and loving the fact that I didn't wake up with a headache or no knowledge of what I did last night. Once again thank you all so much for making me feel welcome. I will keep you updated.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Today is my first day here, and hopefully, sobriety. Seekinghope, your story rings true to me also. You seem to be haning in there on your day 3. I hope i feel as well as you do on mine!

Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Seekinghope23 View Post
I'm going into day three sober and loving the fact that I didn't wake up with a headache or no knowledge of what I did last night. Once again thank you all so much for making me feel welcome. I will keep you updated.
Good for you. Not having hangovers is an amazing feeling