Notices

Looks like I have fianlly reached my bottom.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Nice, Spen!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Nice one mate!!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Spen - I'm in the UK.

I just wanted to share my experience of counselling with you.

I went to my GP and asked to be referred for counselling. I recieved a course of counselling that lasted about 12 weeks. It was free, and there was no long wait in all honesty. It was so worthwhile. It gave me so many tools to deal and cope with life.
If your GP is not willing to do this - see another GP at your practice. If there is no other GP then move to another practice. It can help so much when you have low moods or thoughts that push you to drink.

If you need to PM me then please do so.

x
Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Sorry for having to bump this thread. Went 7 weeks without a drink and it has all come crashing down. As usual I thought a couple of pints would not hurt but it has not stopped for 12 days now. Woke up this morning vowing that I would not drink and thought I would just stay in bed but bless them my young daughters wanted to play. In the end made an excuse and went to the local doss house pub.

Very confused now, partner is adamant that it is over. So I cannot handle the atmospher so keep drinking. Do I just need to go into rehab to be away from everything?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

I don't know Spen...

But, in my case, it's come to that. What can I say? I go tomorrow, don't know when I'll be back online.

New day, new beginning? I truly hope so. I can't keep living like this, and it's silly really.

I wish you the best, my friend.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for both you guys.

Spen I dunno what it will take - but are you obliged to do everything you can?
This stuff will destroy you, man.

D
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Going to make an appointment with my doctor. Swallow my pride and ask for therapy
Old 08-13-2010, 01:21 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Made my appointment for this afternoon. Just got work out how I explain what has been happening.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

This, in my understanding, is the whole nature of alcoholism. Somehow, someway, I will find and excuse or a way, or some reasonably plausible reason to have a drink. When viewed through the alcoholic mind, it all makes sense. It seems like these external reasons are why I drank.

But when I take a step back, and view it through a larger pair of recovered eyes, I see it for what it was. A mental obsession I had little control over.

There's that great summary in AA's BB that describes this hopeless situation.
Originally Posted by AA BB 1st
After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Well I read something today which has got me thinking.

If you hang around with obese people you start thinking that being obese is normal. So if you hang around with people who drink you assume that this is ok. All my adult life I have hanged around with people who drink.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Spen,
If you hang around with obese people you start thinking that being obese is normal. So if you hang around with people who drink you assume that this is ok. All my adult life I have hanged around with people who drink.
Bingo! Same here. When I decided to get sober I told all my drinking buddies I no longer drink. Most respected my decision, but there are still a few who come by with drink in hand. In those cases I just make myself busy and they don't hang around very long.
The time I used to spend drinking, I spend at home with the family or friends who don't drink or are recovering.
I still have a long way to go (2 months sober), but there is no way I could have made it this far hanging out with the old crowd.

Best of luck to you. If I can do it, anyone can.
Marcus
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Well I have been the docs and she has refered me to a counselling/addiction group. Got to what for the appointment to come through now.

On a side note got to go for a x-ray on my bad hip. Been causing me pain and stopping me exercise.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Spen I completely agree with hanging around people who drink. Some days I didnt have the thought of drinking on my mind, but once I saw someone else with one, I had to have it too. This was one of the things that allowed my drinking to become out of control. And then when those people could stop at 2 or 3, I continued on until I was hammered. Now I've found that I can't even have one, and so far my lifes been easier.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Well first night out of the way. Not the best nights sleep but certainly not the worse I have had after stopping drinking. Feel a bit achy and on edge but not too bad.

Might try to catch a couple of hours later and then get some work done if the rain ever stops.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Spen, it's good that you made it 7 weeks. I wish you had been able to stick to that. And very good that you've spoken with your GP and gotten set up with some counseling. I hope that all works out well for you. I'm not privy to the inner workings of the UK's medical system re: addiction, so I don't really know what it's all about. But good luck to you.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies again.

Onto day 3, did not sleep amazingly but my 3 year old daughter was up in the night. Got a bit of a belly ache but that is all really.

I think I have really burned my bridges with my partner this time. The only thing I can do is be strong and see if things get better while I sort the financial situation out. If things get no better I will just have to look for somewhere else.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:00 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spen71 View Post
Very confused now, partner is adamant that it is over. So I cannot handle the atmospher so keep drinking. Do I just need to go into rehab to be away from everything?
Thanks for the replies. Going to make an appointment with my doctor. Swallow my pride and ask for therapy
Made my appointment for this afternoon. Just got work out how I explain what has been happening.
Well I have been the docs and she has refered me to a counselling/addiction group. Got to what for the appointment to come through now.
SPEN. Look what you just did there.
Look at you.
Look at how far you have gone and how strong you are.
Spen, we are here for support, but you are the one who says Im going to the doctors.
YOU were the one who is going to an addiction group
YOU can turn your life around.
All you need is a good environment in which you can.
Thats where the support comes along
You have the strength.
You have drive.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Well onto the Morning of day 4. Slept better, apart from waking up at 5am with really bad stomach cramps and then spending 30 mins in the toilet (gross I know). Going to try and get some work done now (I am self employed) and make a start on this financial mess I have made for myself and my family.

Will update this thread from time to time, if that is ok.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:10 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Please keep us posted....you can do this! Good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Onto day 12 and feel ok. Went to see this lady who runs an addiction service for the local health authority. After talking to her she said that she was going to refer me to the councelling service.