Notices

Looks like I have fianlly reached my bottom.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endzoner View Post
hi SPen . glad alls going well for you , and were glad you popped on and fill us in on things . rite on for makin it thu the holidays .. huggles Endzy
Thanks, will be going to my first meeting tomorrow night as my partner and kids are at a party which I am not invited to (do not blames them really). Did not go to any while as I was away just spent my time with my Father. I went the pub every night and did not have a single drink. The first Christams in 23 years I have not spent it drunk.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
On my path.

Welcome back spen71. Glad things went well. You took the time you needed and you are giving your partner and kids the space that they need. Sounds sane.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congratulations on your decision to get sober.

Check in when you can.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Ok

Originally Posted by spen71 View Post
try to sort my head out.
Be careful. I would not go there alone.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stereosteveo View Post
Be careful. I would not go there alone.
Going to the Docs next week to deal with a few issues I have.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Smile

So happy to hear you are doing better. Pleae stay in touch with us. Grateful Heart :-)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Way to go!! Keep it up!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

After reading a lot of pages on the web I think I get PAWS and I then end up relapsing. Does anyone know if exercise will help with this?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through spen, and glad you're thinking about meetings and the doctor.

Congrats!

Here's my usual little 'hand out' on PAWS:

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

D
Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi Spen.

I don't know if exercise specifically is the "antidote" to PAWS--more specifically I don't know what symptom you're referring to--but I find it helps with the insomnia part, especially if I exercise on a daily basis (long walks in my case usually). Also, eating properly, regularly, and generally having a schedule--and someone to call if I get frantic.

Glad to see you back.
Take care,
TB
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on staying sober over Christmas, please let us know how your meeting tonight goes.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I will elaborate a bit more now about what has happened.

On December 21st I took the decision to move back to my parents for a couple of weeks. This was due to a number of reasons.

1. I did not want my partner, kids, step-kids and in-laws having to put up with the bad atmosphere I had caused through my drinking.
2. To detox away from the bad atmosphere which I found imposible to do with my kids about.
3. To do some thinking about what I want.

I stayed for 9 days in the end. The first two were bad with feeling sick and stomach cramps. Also had some mild shakes. I had long conversations with my dad (he drinks 4 pints every night but can stop if need be), rested up and ate loads in the end.

I am now back in the family home and things seem a lot better on the whole. I know I have a lot of bridges to re-build and it is going to take time. I need to re-gain trust and respect off a lot of people.

I am quite proud of myself in a funny kind of way that I have gone through my first holiday period in 23 years without any form of drink.

I will be starting meetings next week and an exercise regime which will hopefully help with my mild depression and anxiety. Also making an appointment with the doctors to see if I can get any help that way.

Happy New Year and thanks for all the kind words.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am will be updating this thread when I get the chance/urge. I have just gone another week without a drink. Upto 2 weeks now and I am feeling good. No real issues with sleeping aprt from my 2 1/2 daughter will not sleep the night through.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good work Spen

D
Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well upto 3 weeks now. Feeling good apart from being complete and utterly bored and skint. NOt able to work with all the snow (I work outdoors).
Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Congrats, Spen.

Maybe find an indoor hobby so you don't go stir crazy?

((Hug))
TB
Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Bumping this back up. I did not learn my lesson and back in the same hole again. At a loss what to do and feel empty.

I have been told I should be the happiest person in the world. I live with a good woman. Got two beautiful girls. Own my own house. Got the beggining of a good business. BUT I still feel something is missing. Going to AA today. It is a different meeting from the last one and hopefully it will feel "right".
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Spen, I am glad that you came back to SR. You know that we support you and sometimes we relapse. I just relapsed myself but am stronger now in my sobriety then before.

Why? For me it was the how sick I became. I almost died and am certain that my being here posting is a miracle. I finally came to the cold harsh truth that alcohol will kill me and it won't be pretty.

I am more determined then ever to remain sober for the rest of my life. Sobriety allows us to think clearly and see things for what they are. We must toss our old coping mechanisms out and start anew. We must change our lifestyle.

I am glad you are attending meetings but it may be beneficial to seek counseling if you haven't already. After my relapse, I started counseling and the sessions really help with coming to terms with issues in my life and constructing new ways of dealing with conflict. Feeling good about yourself and your life is key. Also, there are plenty of medications available as well that can help with anxiety, depression, etc.

I am thinking of you and think that seeking the help of your Dr. and counseling you may be able to get some answers to your questions.

As for SR....we are hear for the good and the bad. I will tell you that I didn't drink daily because I just wanted to be sloshed. I drank because I was frustrated or upset...and it was an easy solution to forget about my problems. Sadly, the booze brought out anxiety and some massive depression. Afterall......booze is a depressant.

All the best and stay strong!!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us have that sense of something missing spen.
It's good to be aware of it - now you have to find better ways to fix it.

D
Old 05-01-2010, 12:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a lot of us have that sense of something missing spen.
It's good to be aware of it - now you have to find better ways to fix it.

D
I have always struggled with this feeling of something missing. I do not know what it is and people I speak to do not understand.