Notices

October Sobriety Group

Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

This time last week I was sitting at the kitchen table with the worst hangover talking to my husband about being drunk the night before, passing out at 8:30, and the fact that I wasn't welcome in my house anymore unless I was getting help.

Today, one week later, i've been to two AA meetings. I have no periods of time that I can't account for, I am $80 richer, I just worked out for 30 minutes and i'm about to make my second cup of coffee and get ready for the day.

This feels so much better.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 5. Going ok - physically felt calmer today, just a general decline in anxiety over the past few days. Am sitting here in Minneapolis at a hotel to work a seminar tomorrow and I know its going to be a stress-filled day. Stress . . . end of day work stress is a real tough thing for me to get through w/o wine. 25 years of ending the work day that way. Trying not to anticipate the future and will hope to be decent to my husband tomorrow (he gets the brunt of my irritability!) and to stick with the plan.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Congrats on day 1 serenelife! Welcome! Glad you are here.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I got sober in October. Hey it rhymes!
Oct 3rd, I'm wrapping up day 18.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

This group is growing! Welcome everyone!

Hey Scoob -- you and I have the same sobriety date! A week ago today I was also hungover, fed up, and went crawling to my first AA meeting. Sober date: October 14th.

What a difference a week makes. I'm back into tennis, running, sticking to my yoga schedule, working, sleeping, dreaming, and most importantly... NOT DOING ANYTHING STUPID THAT I REGRET THE NEXT DAY!

I swear when I used to drink it was like a "stupid" button got turned on and I lost all my common sense and judgement. But I guess that's generally what alcohol does, right?

Good night Octoberites!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey all. Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I've not been on for a few days as I've been so busy with work but I really should prioritise.
Glad we're all here for each other :ghug2
Old 10-22-2009, 02:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

I would like to join too, I'm on day 1, oct. 21ST. And hey my actual bday is in october too soo ill have 3 things to celebrate, the beginning of my birth life, the beginning of my sober life, and halloween hehe.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome LiveLikeGold6! Glad you are here. Hey, that list sounds pretty good to me. Also, congrats on beginning your sobriety journey.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

October USED to mean tailgating and football parties, shots and kegs...NOW it's going to mean the start of my sobriety!

Day 4...whew...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning. I have a bad cold. ick. School tonight, then straight to bed.

Tomorrow we're shopping for a piano and then I have a meeting at 8.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning! Workin on day 5 here...had a rough one yesterday. Right about 3:00, I started figuring there's no real harm in drinkin in the evening. I'm seeing a therapist for the first time on Tuesday next week...and so I might as well quit AFTER I see her! I know. Crazy thinking, but man it's a powerful voice! I've listened to it for so long! Been waking up with headaches every day, which stinks, and my mood is crabby. Was hoping I'd feel better by now. I know I need to give it time. I'm thankful I don't feel worse.
Hope you all have a great day!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon, scoob!!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Almost past the 3 day milestone, 1 hour at a time, thats all it takes.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks Mirage. Yes that voice can be very deceiving. Even if there seems to be no harm in the action, after a few, you will find harm or harm will find a way of finding you.

<------- That's what my head feels like right now.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I feel really proud to be a part of this group - more so than my high school graduating class! (Sobriety class - October '09 - I like it!!) I hope to grow closer to each of you, sharing experiences and holding each other up. Much love to all of you and hang in there...
Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thanks angelina! Day 2, school in the morning , just dragging my feet thru it, then came home and slept all day till 9pm despite plans of hitting the gym errands and AA meetings I want to get started on my 90 in 90 just really feeling tired and withdrawn from society, this weekend ahead will pose a challenge but I know I can get through. I like the saying "aint nothing to it but to do it"! Anyone feel like they need to steer clear of their friends? Its not so much that I'm afraid they'll pressure me into drinking. Rather I was the one who always wanted to hit the liquor store and bar and stay drinking way after last call, so I'm afraid I will be me, my old self. I feel like I need to stay away from what I'm used to (parties/friends/dates) until I find more strength, does that make sense?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey there LLG!!!

Yes, I know what you mean. I think it's a good idea to stay clear of friends that could be triggers for your drinking. Hopefully it's not all of them, but be careful at this early stage!

I have one friend I have avoided like the plague. She is a heavy drinker and whenever we go out, we inevitably drink a bottle each of wine. And she is the type of person who would not be happy if I said I wasn't drinking -- she would give me a hard time and I would probably cave. Thankfully she is moving out of the country soon. The rest of my friends I think will be more understanding if I explain that I'm not drinking.

So it's Day 10 for me.... I'm off to work. I plan to go to another AA meeting this weekend. They do help on the weekends, I find. And during the week as well
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Day 7 afoot. Returned from business trip - and almost mercifully with a migraine type headache, was able to avoid any urge for wine, someting I feared. A 3-day weekend of 40's and rain/snow mix. Umm. Am aiming to enjoy doing little. I think this last week (yea! end of today is a week!!) I've been capable of sitting quietly and reading. Its been a few years since I could sit still long enough. Was my high-anxiety made worse by the alcohol? Hoping for a good, albeit, rainy day. Best to all today.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Congrats on your week, watson! I'm startin day 6 with slightly less of a headache than I've had all week...and I think the fogginess is starting to clear. It's amazing how long I've been living feeling crappy. I didn't even realize it....I forgot what normal felt like.

LLG...sounds like steering clear of those folks is a good idea, for awhile anyway. I drank at home mostly, so I don't have that particular issue, but if I did, I would. I have a halloween party to go to next weekend..I wish I could bail, but I can't.

Rainy day here, too...but I'm kinda diggin it! Hope you all enjoy the day...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good morning. I still have a bad cold, but am doing well.