Notices

Itching like krazy

Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Itching like krazy

Yesterday was day 3 sober and seemed harder than the previous 2....aside of nightmares and sweats which were expected i started feeling very itchy all over, by 2 in the morning the itch felt so bad it was like needles poking all over my body and in some of the weirdest place (under my foot for example)
In any case i didnt sleep much and the morning headaches seems to be getting worse..Whats up with that and the krazy itchies, i thought things would improve and not the other way around. Aside of this i am very happy with my progress and being sober.

Why the itch-wheres is it coming from, how do i make it better..any suggestions/ideas would be welcome
Old 01-05-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

boing5050

Do you drink enough water? I got myself water filter jug, keeps me busy pouring fresh water. I think your energy is awakening... that is why you feel itchy.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

boing - I don't know what exactly causes it, but I had that too. It lasted a couple days. I also had a creepy-crawly feeling all over. Just another reason why we don't need to go back there again.

Glad you are feeling good otherwise - at least the itchies will stop at some point.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hevyn and Healthyfood, sorry i was out for a few mins that is why i didnt respond quickly.
I drink a lots of water and teas (ginger, ginseng, honey, lemon) and some pure orange juice- dont want to drink too much sugars.

Hevyn, i hope you right cuz this itch is nasty kinda like needles poking ya here in there, and then theres no alternative but scratch like krrazay...Am almost passing out right now since i havent slept much in the past 3 days,,so hopefully tonight i will just pass out and and get a good night of peaceful zzzzzzzzzz....Thanks for the support..

Hi Healthyfood, i hope you are hanging in there and doing well. Keep up the good work, we gonna make it out of this addiction and and make our lives better because of it.
Thank you for your support also

Hugs and prayers
Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Boing, first, good for you and hang in there. Second, the itchies drove me crazy too. Started a week after my last drink. I couldn't stop itching and had super dry skin no matter how much wTer I drank. Couldn't sleep more than a couple of hours for days. Lotions just seemed to make it worse. Finally my husband got me some Benadryl nightime. It helped the itching and helped me sleep. For me the itching lasted 3 weeks. I am now over 30 days sober and though my skin is still dry, it doesn't itch. I hope that helps you. Stay strong.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i had those pin and needles, and even bugs crawling on me as well, especially in bed late at night...and numbness in my arms. It is very creepy and scary. they are subsiding a bit now, but those dreaded night sweats continue. I am sure my g/f believes I am peeing the bed, although i am not, and never did while in my deepest drunk either..
Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I had the bug thing too - & I kept seeing stuff out of the corner of my eye. Nothing was there, of course. Oh, the joys of withdrawal. May we never suffer through it again.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Version2 and Losteverything, thank you for the information...30 Days before the itchies went away! well dont i feel good now i thought this was going to go away in a day or 2, so much for that :-)
Benadryl nightime and all the other night time meds give me a major hangover so am not going to touch that...Thank you for sharing your experiences and how you went about easing the pains we experience through recovery, i appreciate al of it....It may not be easy but we are doing it and we will succeed at it. Strong we shall remain.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Boone, know this. After 30+ days, I feel ggreaatt! No hangovers. No exhaustion. So proud of myself for doing this. The time will pass no matter what and when you reach the other side you will feel so good about what you did. And YOU did it.

We are with you.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

*Boing (sorry. Stupid spell check. Lol.)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

you poured ethanol alcohol in your body for a long time thinki.g only about the effect. it depressed every cell in your body every time. your body wants to heal! increase healthy foods, slow the caffeine & drink water. you can keep moving forward!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: Somewhere between the past and tomorrow; also in Calgary, Alberta
Hi Boing5050...

Keep up the battle..somethings that may make you feel more comfortable are Benadryl and a nice peppermint based body lotion. These small simple things will help with your comfort level and also keep you occupied while the beast subsides.
It is really important to keep busy and engage yourself with a bit of pampering. Also, just a simple Vicks vaporub steamer with Eucalyptus, soft waterfalls background music...or ocean tides. All these little endevours add up...and help transfer you through those dark times. IMHO. keep up the good fight..we are all here in the Karmic universe praying for you.

Warm wishes,
Merc
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Boing5050...

Keep up the battle..somethings that may make you feel more comfortable are Benadryl and a nice peppermint based body lotion. These small simple things will help with your comfort level and also keep you occupied while the beast subsides.
It is really important to keep busy and engage yourself with a bit of pampering. Also, just a simple Vicks vaporub steamer with Eucalyptus, soft waterfalls background music...or ocean tides. All these little endevours add up...and help transfer you through those dark times. IMHO. keep up the good fight..we are all here in the Karmic universe praying for you.

Warm wishes,
Merc
Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Boing5050...

Warm wishes,
Merc
Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

@ version2
Good point Sugarbear,,,actually you just did me a favor, i had some super healthy foods for the past 2 days and tonight i got lazy and was just about to get some fast food- your post changed my mind so am gonna get my butt to the health food store and grab some good stuff for a healthy meal

Have a great night you all, stay strong, happy and sober.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

@ Mercurial, Excellent advice which i appreciate.

Thank you from Santa cruz California

May peace and serenity always be in your heart
Old 01-05-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Since you are in Santa Cruz, you may want to give Janus Recovery a call:

Janus of Santa Cruz | Substance abuse treatment, alcoholism treatment, Janus, Santa Cruz

they have a great Detox and a great program and have been around for over 35 years in the 'Recovery World."

They will be able to 'explain' what is happening better than I can, and can probably recommend some things that will help to 'ease' it a bit.

The 'itching' is caused by the nerve endings in your body being damaged by the usage of alcohol over the years. They are sending 'erroneous' messages. This usually calms down by about 21 days or so. The nerve endings heal and you if you stay sober you forget about it.

The 'itching' is the precursor to what can come later.

However, I can tell you, from my own experience, that many years later ..................... for me it was 24 years into recovery, IT CAME BACK. Those nerves had worked hard for years and now were again sending ERRONEOUS MESSAGES and not just itching. I would be walking straight, go to take a step and veer off to the left or right, like a drunken sailor. Years ago, when they would see 'homeless folks' (winos or Bowery Bums) walking that way it was called "Jake Leg."

In reality it is Alcoholic Neuropathy

Google

Alcoholic neuropathy - PubMed Health

and it no longer gets any better. Yep, I have it. I also have Diabetes and have Peripheral Neuropathy from the Diabetes. Yes, I and my doctors also believe that the Diabetes is from all those years I drank.

So, call Janus, find out what they recommend, it will abate. Never forget this, make it one of the REASONS you do not want to pick up again.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Kinda wondering about this. Its day 7 and I thought maybe I was getting a rash or virus. Anyone know how long this will last ?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Kinda wondering about this. Its day 7 and I thought maybe I was getting a rash or virus. Anyone know how long this will last ?

This usually calms down by about 21 days or so.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you Laurie. So many neat little surprises