Notices

What if one does not wish to stop drinking

Old 08-17-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the difference is that you had 3 controversial threads going.
I also read about 40 megabytes a chat transcripts that were similar.

You don't have to be ready to quit drinking, but you have to remember you are on a forum with members who are here to quit drinking.

That's why we're here.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
I don't understand. Your original post said that you had been mandated to attend AA. I thought that too about the supreme court. I was going off of what you said. And regardless of what you think of the structure and program of AA (I did not get sober in AA— I understand AA reservations) that does not invalidate people's experiences that they share in those rooms.

You are hearing things I did not say. I didn't say you deserved the way the police treated you or that it was right. I just think that fighting it is an uphill battle. I have seen people try to file complaints against police for similar things and it is completely ignored. In any case if you wish to proceed against the police the best thing that can help you is full compliance with your criminal case and presenting yourself as sober, I would think. Picking my battles has been something I have learned in recovery. Some things are more about me being right than actual justice. It is a fine line. I can't make that judgment for you.

All that being said, I don't mind someone who is undecided about sobriety on SR, in fact I welcome it, but it is frustrating to have someone without a clear question who is antagonizing to suggestions and offers of help and advice.

I have been open to offers of advise and like I was just told this forum is only about support and not questioning anything other than that. So I thank you for your support and ideas.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
I think the difference is that you had 3 controversial threads going.
I also read about 40 megabytes a chat transcripts that were similar.

You don't have to be ready to quit drinking, but you have to remember you are on a forum with members who are here to quit drinking.

That's why we're here.
Then I will stop asking controversial questions then. I will stop asking people to think critically and just agree with whatever is said and put in a little smiley face. I got people to think on chat, which is why you banned me. Fair enough. You are the admin and that is cool. Im not going to protest as a site can have anything it wants on it. I ask possibly to have my chat privs reinstated thats all. I will respect it if you decide not to. But I hope you become ok with differing points of view on addiction, as I have experience in the field, not only with the legal side, but also as a counselor,a case manager and a therapist.

I will refrain from posts/chat that question people who are to quit drinking. I thinks its fair to saay though there are plenty of posts here that debate what I have brought up. With that, I say I hope you continue to let me stay on, as you may be suprised I have much to offer. As well as learn from.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have been here for many years and read thousands of thousands of posts that debate the same issues. There needs to be a balance though. Members who come here with only that agenda don't last very long.

I hope you can find a balance and set some of those agendas aside. No one said they are not valid or important issues. It's just not our primary purpose.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Life is GOOD

sounds like you are the victim. that is alcoholic thinking.
stick around the rooms of AA , u may learn a lil something about yourself
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I have been here for many years and read thousands of thousands of posts that debate the same issues. There needs to be a balance though. Members who come here with only that agenda don't last very long.

I hope you can find a balance and set some of those agendas aside. No one said they are not valid or important issues. It's just not our primary purpose.

It is not my only agenda at all. I will also try to share more of myself and what I can offer as well. I did come on rather negatively. I have to share what I have gone through as well. Nothing controversial about that. Im sure Im in a time out I guess with chat. Understandable. I was arrogant and I apologize.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

I will also try to share more of myself and what I can offer as well.
That would be great.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by donweezy View Post
sounds like you are the victim. that is alcoholic thinking.
stick around the rooms of AA , u may learn a lil something about yourself

Im not the victim anymore than Oliver Twist. (the beatings will stop when morale improves) that sort of thing. I just happen to stand up for myself and others. No victim part in that. Whatever works for you, peace
Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

That would be great.

Im not being smart here just wondering if I should share my experiences about my suicide attempt,as I think mental health is a huge correlator with addiction.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sure. Just try to avoid the details about methods that might trigger others who are depressed.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Sure. Just try to avoid the details about methods that might trigger others who are depressed.

It would be hard, so maybe it is not such a good idea. I also belong to another website that talks about other types of abuse and they have trigger sections that tell users to mark post with a T. Perhaps there could be some type of section here. Actually a mental health and other abuse component may be what people are looking for sometimes. Maybe not all on one website though. I dont know. But it definitely is interrelated.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

We try to keep the discussions on those topics general so someone isn't triggered into a relapse who isn't ready to face those issues yet.

Go read the mental health forums so you can get an idea. If you want to send the post in a PM to the forum moderator before you post it you can do that too to see what they think.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notofeudalism View Post
I say fill the jails and prisons and build as many as possible and throw everyone one who ever got a DUI/pub intox, and/or anythign related to any drug.
I totally agree with you on this! And make sure they get daily beatings and definitely no internet connection!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

We try to keep the discussions on those topics general so someone isn't triggered into a relapse who isn't ready to face those issues yet.

Go read the mental health forums so you can get an idea. If you want to send the post in a PM to the forum moderator before you post it you can do that too to see what they think.
Thanks. I have been there and just replied to someone I used to chat with. Is it ok to post websites that also help with suicidal issues and other types of abuse, or is that not appropriate? I really feel many here suffer not just from addiction, but many issues, including myself. I am grateful to be allowed to still post here.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have some links in the second post in the rules thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

If you have others send them to me and I'll review them and add them to the post.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I've just read through this thread, Notofeudalism, and there's a lot of anger and resentment in some of your posts; not just towards the police (and that's a fair one in your case); and that's not a good state of mind conducive to good mental health.

If you wish to continue drinking, that's fine, I did not have that choice; I couldn't take any more, but I also couldn't not take any more. That might sound daft but it's true.

Out of sheer desperation I found AA and the Programme; and it's worked for me. I'm amazed.

But as you've indicated, maybe alcohol isn't your problem. Maybe you have a mental health issue rather than an alcoholic one; maybe if you post a little of how and why you drink, that would help.

Regards and I won't judge you about your DUI; I've done it, I was just never caught.

Good luck

Tosh
Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Honesty gets us sober but tolerance keeps us sober!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Rockstar

All I have to say is don't drink and drive.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

..that's correct.
..this site ..however has concerntrated on one individuals plight to
exploit some kind of right to drink,then make further remarks that
make us feel sorry for him/her..
..something is not right here..
..and that's my opinion''
..hell you gave 'noto' plenty of time..how about me??
Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Question

..newcomers are always welcome..
but..please understand the the curiosity of those who are
bewildered with such profanity...