Notices

Any advice for rehab?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any advice for rehab?

Hello all, im going into a rehab centre on wednesday its a 12 step one. Im really nervous about it and really do hope i can stay in there for a long time and complete the treatment.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

good luck newhorizon.
I hope you start your new life there

D
Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and ,
U R where U need to be. Don't worry, it will all work out.
Never been to rehab or inpatient, but others will be here shorty to offer support.
I wish U well and just know U will be fine.
Stay strong.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by NewHorizon25 View Post
Hello all, im going into a rehab centre on wednesday its a 12 step one. Im really nervous about it and really do hope i can stay in there for a long time and complete the treatment.
I wish I could go and do it all over again, you're LUCKY.

Rehab was one of the top 5 most fantastic experiences of my life.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rehab really saved my life. I had been going to 12-steps meetings previously and my condition just got worse and worse. IMHO going to rehab has allowed me to get the most out of 12-step meetings. I read a quote once that AA is not a treatment program, it's more of a "maintenance" program. I was fortunate to work with compassionate staff members and serious patients. As a disclaimer, this is all in hindsight, the first 30 days were brutal and rehab gave me the tools and support I needed. I got so much work done there I wish I could have stayed longer, but I don't have the finances. Good luck...
Old 08-17-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Krrk

D
Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good luck! the advice I got before treatment: be open-minded and willing. those two qualities will help you make the best of this first, and important, stage of your journey.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

JEALOUS!!! I really am, I went to rehab twice and checked myself out. I wish I could back as well...man...absorb it all up and CONGRATS on the beginning of your new life!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses, i am grateful for this oppurtunity. My concern is i have lived a isolated life over the past couple of years and i will struggle with the social aspect of rehab.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You don't need to 'make nice' in treatment so try not to place any expectations on yourself that will distract you from why you are there.
I did what was required of me when I was in treatment, i.e. group therapy, writing assignments, etc, but I also took a lot of time for myself. I rested a lot, went for long walks on the grounds, read recovery stuff or wrote in my journal.

Bring your own pillow.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

This could save your life..

Good luck in there.. grab on to everything you might think can help you, and hold on to it.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you well with your rehab experience.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I wish I could go and do it all over again, you're LUCKY.

Rehab was one of the top 5 most fantastic experiences of my life.
I must agree with Tommy here. It was the first time I got to just take care of me with no outside distractions. I loved rehab.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

What a great step in the right direction. Entering a 12 step facility on its own

is a sure fired first step by action. I got alot from my visit as well because I

was hungry for answers after accepting that I had a disease. My tips would be

sit in the front row all the time and go slow. Alot of folks are ready to set the

world on fire but big changes will be coming to you so give them time to take.

Great Job
Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went to 12 step rehab, the most important thing is to be honest in there to get the most out of it. The social stuff will work itself out. I went in and had a warm welcome from everyone, not everyone got along, it was generally women not getting along with men rather than men against men...but all funny not scary at all. An eye opening experience and actually very enjoyable:-)

You are very lucky to have this opportunity, you will see that more in the future but try and make the most of every minute!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

NewHorizon I did not go to rehab, I was medically detoxed and then commited myself to AA for at least 90 meetings in 90 days & to getting myself a sponsor. As far as the 12 steps and recovery go here is what I have found to be vital keys for me.

1. Honesty - I had to be BRUTALLY honest with myself and politely honest with everyone else.

2. Open Minded - I had to keep an open mind to EVERYTHING!!!! I had to drop every preconcieved idea I had about everything and every single prejudice I had about anything.

3. Willing - I had to be willing to do what ever it took to stay sober and recover.

I will share what I have heard here and in the rooms of AA, rehab is simply the equivelant of an ambulance, rehab takes a drunk and gives them physical sobriety and a kick start on sobriety. The ambulance then drops off the patient and if the patient wants to stay sober they will continue on actively pursuing their recovery, in your case that would be AA, going to lots of meetings, getting a sponsor and taking or re-taking the steps with their sponsor.... and then of course carrying the message on to other alcoholics.

Rehabs are not a cure for alcoholism or drug addiction, you will hear this many times while you are in rehab. When they tell you in rehab that after you get out you should go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor there is a reason for that. The success rate is far higher for people who do that. The relapse rate is almost 100% for those who just leave rehab and do nothing thinking "I feel great, I must be cured." and do nothing in the way of long term recovery.

I look forward to hearing back from you when you get out of rehab.