Notices

What was your early sobriety like?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sorry La Dita,

I didn't mean to come across in any way as self righteous, just sharing my experience, strength and hope.

Good night all and my best.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
LOL girl, you know better than to ask me to answer that!!

143 days and counting and this has been a bad week (as was last week). The 3 weeks before that were pretty good, though, so maybe I'm almost done with this "downer" phase.

I know....I'm sorry.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Počte maudit

Originally Posted by flowersinhair View Post
It helps me to read about what yall have been going through. I'm still surrounded by constant drinkers... and it's hard. It's 10 p.m. on Friday right now & my friends & boyfriend are all at the bar. Aannnddd I'm on the couch drinking green tea & eating chocolate hoping someone will read this so I'll feel somewhat social. I've been sober for 23 days, I was so happy & relieved the first few days. THEN it all turned into this downward spiral of intense anger, sadness, insecurity & loneliness. Yay for sobriety. (excuse the sarcasm) I don't know why I thought it would be so much easier, I wasn't a daily drinker so I didn't have to deal with the shakes or nausea, but this emotional pit is not good at all.
I can relate~ lots of herbal tea-drinking and chocolate-eating since I stopped drinking. I was a daily drinker, so I had 2 horrible days of physical sickness, then eventually the same kind of joy and relief that you speak of, for quite a while. Then last weekend, I had just 30 days~ and also fell into "this downward spiral of intense anger, sadness, insecurity & loneliness."

I thought it would be easier as time went on, (even though it's only been just a short amount of time), not harder and more baffling. I'm so grateful not to be drinking, and it is an adventure to see what each new day, week, month holds for me. But, I still have a lot of fear. I am scared. Someone said in a meeting that "faith is the absence of fear"; that's my new mantra.

xoxo hollygolitely
Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

oh carp... yes, carp. now i am scared. thank you for telling me though about possibly feeling bad after a while. will try to prepare with pies and stuff
Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

LaDita
it was a long time ago but as best i can remember
for the first week I just tried to sleep a lot,eat some,and work a few days that week to get the booze out of my system.I felt like crap.
My mind was screwy,and I could not focus on much.My mind also raced and I was full of fear,and anger.My head hurt on and on for one whole year at least.I was so ill at times I would just grab stuff and sling it,glad I didn`t hit anyone.
I was very confused and unsure of a lot of things.I was depressed and felt like I hurt all over at times.My emotions was unstable,up now and then down.I could not see that,my family could see it,but I could feel it.
Tell you the truth,I suffered and it sucked.I hope I never forget all the suffering,it helps me stay grateful today to be sober and helps me keep the attitude to never want to drink again
Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bballdad View Post
LaDita
it was a long time ago but as best i can remember
for the first week I just tried to sleep a lot,eat some,and work a few days that week to get the booze out of my system.I felt like crap.
My mind was screwy,and I could not focus on much.My mind also raced and I was full of fear,and anger.My head hurt on and on for one whole year at least.I was so ill at times I would just grab stuff and sling it,glad I didn`t hit anyone.
I was very confused and unsure of a lot of things.I was depressed and felt like I hurt all over at times.My emotions was unstable,up now and then down.I could not see that,my family could see it,but I could feel it.
Tell you the truth,I suffered and it sucked.I hope I never forget all the suffering,it helps me stay grateful today to be sober and helps me keep the attitude to never want to drink again

This is great, thank you.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
getting there

I'm on day 51 today... for me, the physical withdrawals weren't bad, in fact I felt better physically right away because the drinking was causing all sorts of nondescript symptoms. The first 20-30 days I felt great and really motivated and strong about sobriety. Around day 35 I started getting really bad cravings, every day for about a week. I really don't know how I didn't pick up during that time, it was relentless. In the last week or two, the cravings have lessened somewhat, but I'm feeling more depressed about the idea that I have to keep this up every day, forever. It still feels exhausting to be honest, and I'm far enough away from the consequences that I still sometimes wonder if it's worth it. For now, I think it is.

Sorry if that was depressing, I'm just trying to be honest
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

CG, your journey sounds eerily similar to mine. Nice to know I'm not alone. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let me clarify please....

The posts in "Quitting, what to expect" are about
withdrawing from alcohol. The de tox symptoms
some of us overcame. is the point of the thread.

Wishing everyone the joy of a sober life...
Old 02-20-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

After a horrible de tox lasting 3 days
I was tired...scared and confused.

I began AA and could not consentrate
all I remembered was a sign over the podium

"Keep Coming Back...It Works"

I did and it has....

My depression...the reason I wanted to quit...was
gone by about 2 months. No meds required.

I consider I was back in balance physically
and mentally by 2 months.

The experiences above are about my last recovery
I've been on for 20 years.

Yes! you too can enjoy a sober life....
Old 02-21-2009, 02:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

LaDita,I would like to add something I just remembered while reading the thread..
even the hair on my head was sore
Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This time it has been easy, the obsession has gone, and i was ready. All the other times trying to do it by myself were hell and i creaved alcohol almost every day, was a nightmare! I got to a few months max and then drank again, like a ******* merry go round, i am bloody glad im off it!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

I'm on day 69 (hehe ) and my experience so far is physically nothing at all is wrong. Initially I had dizziness but that was only temporary. Anxiety is about the only major problem I have. This past week was real tough for me there was alot of stressful situations rearing it's ugly head but luckily that's passing. Sometimes I think I make it hard on myself since my mind seems to be on stand by mode for something bad to happen. Keeping myself busy and focused on other things help take the edge off. And getting some exercise and having a shower then afterwards lying on the couch listeing to music helps alot to.

It's a litte tough and awkward adjusting to this new life but after drinking for 15 years I guess you don't just drop it and move on like nothing ever happend. I always hear that the first year is a bit of a rollercoaster ride. But if one year of my life has to be rough to give the rest of my remaining years, however long that may be, some peace of mind then it's worth it.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

l thought it was boring.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Early Sobriety:

With only 140 days free from alcohol and this being my 3rd day of TOTAL sobriety from everything I was into, I still feel like I'm in "early" sobriety stage but with that said...

Physically, it was not too difficult to stop drinking. In fact, it was kinda nice to be finally giving my body a break from the alcohol abuse I'd spent a lifetime putting it through. What I most remember was that I felt very vulnerable, and spent a lot of time thinking about how to keep myself out of any situations that might make me uncomfortable, or feel pressured to drink. I did a lot of thinking and reading about recovery, and was willing to open my mind in ways I never had before. The fear of telling people what I was going through slowly went away and now everyone knows.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Just over 2 months here, so still very early in my sobriety. So far, it's been exciting, a bit scary at first, a total relief from physical and mental 'gunk' going on, a new lease on life. I never felt this way when I thought i was "quitting" (ha!!!) before, not sure what changed other than my decision to never drink again, once I got that behind me, I let it all go, and move on with other things to do, reasons to be happy, and an entire future in front of me uncomplicated by dependency on alcohol. Exciting!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaDita View Post
Gerry,

I'm not sure why tonight you've decided to hijack my posts and take them over with your authoritative, self-righteous and condescending tone but it's getting a little too much.
I also didn't mean for this thread to be an on-going discussion between you and the other members.

Thanks.

Did I miss something here? I saw Gerry as sharing the experience and that's all. I am really confused about this comment to someone that appeared to be trying to help and just be involved. Thought that's what SR was about. I even re-read the thread twice and still don't see an authoritative, self-righteous and condescending tone.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I agree completely with Horselover. Gerry's comments were comforting to me, when LD posted that... I thought it was a joke at first. I think Gerry is doing exactly what we are all here to do: Share, Help & Support. Thank you Gerry!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Gerry stop hijacking Ladita's threads

Might switch sides again later, let's see:-)

Last edited by yeahgr8; 02-21-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: changed sides
Old 02-21-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Did I miss something here? I saw Gerry as sharing the experience and that's all. I am really confused about this comment to someone that appeared to be trying to help and just be involved. Thought that's what SR was about. I even re-read the thread twice and still don't see an authoritative, self-righteous and condescending tone.

This is in regard to his behavior on an earlier post of mine yesterday where he belittled me, invalidated it and cut me down on that one in order to pat his own back, then finds it perfectly acceptable to show up on my next thread and try to run the show. I just didn't find that okay.