Notices

What was your early sobriety like?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What was your early sobriety like?

I see that some on here have had few complaints during their early sobriety, but it would be nice to hear what other people have gone through mentally and physically.

I've read the post "What to expect" but I would like to hear some newer stories.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Physically I had no problems. All my issues have been mental/emotional. I'm almost 5 months sober and I still have my ups and downs...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I was so relieved that I had finally made the decision to stop drinking, that I felt purged. I should add that I had felt pretty awful for about 4 days after my last drink.

My head started to clear sometime around the 3rd/4th month and I became more and more confident in making good decisions because I was learning to trust myself. i did have some stomach flips from time to time remembering the past, but that was the past and I couldn't go back and change any of it.

I'm coming up to 4 years this summer and I'm glad all of those drinking days are over. The only way to get over something is to go through it.

Physically speaking, I remember noticing that I had so much more energy. I was sleeping through the night, I was remembering my dreams, I got my appetite back and I was living like a 'normal' person. Going to bed at 11 pm and getting up at 7 am. I was eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and really began taking care of myself, emotionally and physically.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im still technically in early sobriety :P
i go to bed at normal hours now (not 4am) and am able to wake up without a hangover. i am eating healthy food and can do my job without screwing up (dropping things, doing something wrong, forgetting everything bc i am drunk) or worrying about booze breath... actually theres SO MUCH LESS WORRY, like not worrying about the dudes at the grocery store knowing me, or about money, or about my liver/health in general, or about my cat getting into the booze, or about spilling it all over my computer, etc etc etc
and i also have more energy and can think clearly, and can make decisions without later second guessing myself because i had made the decision with alcohol in my blood
i do feel more powerful sad emotions that i was trying to get away from with drinking, but in a way its better because sober, i can actually deal with them and think about them and solve any issues i have, instead of numbing them until they came back when i sobered up, only to drink more to numb them again. i do also have craving sometimes which can be very tough. im like 'WELL ONLY ONE DRINK" but i have various strategies to get over it, but wont make this poast any longer :P
Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Bah, gerry, I'm still waiting for some of that. It comes in phases, though, I guess. For a week or two weeks I'll have lots of energy, have a positive outlook, feel motivated, and be generally "happy". Then I swing back into a depression, I have NO motivation to do ANYTHING, energy is SAPPED... it's like I just want to lay around and be a blob all day.

Sleeping is another issue entirely, but I've never had truly normal sleep patterns. And I'm sure that my excessive caffeine intake is a large part of my current problem. I wish I did the 11p-7a thing, though. I really do. I'd probably feel a lot better.

I can take care of everyone else, but I have a huge problem taking care of myself, especially emotionally. It makes this whole process a lot harder than it probably has to be.

Edited to add: it IS incredibly nice to wake up hangover-free on a daily basis and to have NO memory issues anymore. I always dreaded waking up because I never knew what from the previous night I wouldn't remember. It was horrible. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tryingsohard,

Well I guess it's that time to tell you...there's good news and bad news....:-) It comes and goes and with me also, but I'm much more leveled out. Thing is life isn't always kind and sometimes what we deserve just doesn't come our way. I think one of the myths about sobriety is that everything will come up roses once you stop drinking. That's not realistic. Life is a challenge for everyone non alcoholics. included.

I firmly believe in getting a full check up once you sober up because you may need a bit of a tune up. Change of diet might be one of them. Has anyone read the book "Potatoes not Prozac" great book about how certain foods jump start and maintain seritonin levels. Exercise every dayfor at least a half hour of cardio (hard to drag your rear off the floor sometimes in the beginning) power walking, skipping even and honestly try to keep regular bedtime hours 7 days a week. Try it for a week and see how you feel.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
Tryingsohard,
Thing is life isn't always kind and sometimes what we deserve just doesn't come our way. I think one of the myths about sobriety is that everything will come up roses once you stop drinking. That's not realistic. Life is a challenge for everyone non alcoholics. included.

agreeds!@
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OOH
and i dont look like im about to die from being so pale and sickly, and the huge black circles under my eyes are less black and less huge.... though still there
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It helps me to read about what yall have been going through. I'm still surrounded by constant drinkers... and it's hard. It's 10 p.m. on Friday right now & my friends & boyfriend are all at the bar. Aannnddd I'm on the couch drinking green tea & eating chocolate hoping someone will read this so I'll feel somewhat social. I've been sober for 23 days, I was so happy & relieved the first few days. THEN it all turned into this downward spiral of intense anger, sadness, insecurity & loneliness. Yay for sobriety. (excuse the sarcasm) I don't know why I thought it would be so much easier, I wasn't a daily drinker so I didn't have to deal with the shakes or nausea, but this emotional pit is not good at all.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flowersinhair View Post
It helps me to read about what yall have been going through. I'm still surrounded by constant drinkers... and it's hard. It's 10 p.m. on Friday right now & my friends & boyfriend are all at the bar. Aannnddd I'm on the couch drinking green tea & eating chocolate hoping someone will read this so I'll feel somewhat social. I've been sober for 23 days, I was so happy & relieved the first few days. THEN it all turned into this downward spiral of intense anger, sadness, insecurity & loneliness. Yay for sobriety. (excuse the sarcasm) I don't know why I thought it would be so much easier, I wasn't a daily drinker so I didn't have to deal with the shakes or nausea, but this emotional pit is not good at all.

SOCIAL!
i am also at home with my kitten. she s eating my bed apart :|
Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep Nobodyknows, you feel emotions more strongly, because you aren't numbing them with alcohol. Unfortunately feeling the feelings is what drives many back to the bottle quickly. They ARE feelings as opposed to 'they are JUST feelings.' They are strong and powerful and painful sometimes and sometimes it's a good idea to get some professional help in making sense of them and dealing with them in a healthy manner.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by flowersinhair View Post
THEN it all turned into this downward spiral of intense anger, sadness, insecurity & loneliness. Yay for sobriety. (excuse the sarcasm) I don't know why I thought it would be so much easier, I wasn't a daily drinker so I didn't have to deal with the shakes or nausea, but this emotional pit is not good at all.
Been there, done that. It took about 3 - 4 weeks for that part of it to pass for me (or to START passing...). I was very MAD at my situation for a long time. It was frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I said, "Yay for sobriety" in that sarcastic tone to myself.

It gets better. Hang in there.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm still in early sobriety...I wonder if I'll ever be out of early sobriety and sober.

My withdrawals weren't bad...at the worst it was really bad brain fog for a few weeks the first time around.

Many of you know I'm gross , so here it is:

This time...it took about three weeks for my bowel movements to resemble a more normal color/consitency. Pale/yellow poo all the time is bad...and that's what I have when I'm drinking a lot and everyday. It takes a while for that to go away...I still have intestinal issues, but not as bad as when I was drinking.

Running to the toilet frequently is one thing--at least you know that after a few minutes you'll probably feel a little better until the next round...and eventually there is relief in sight. The emotional aspect, however, has been a nasty beast indeed.

Up and down, sometimes with no reason. One bad thought snowballs and picks up others on the way down...I've had some frightening moments completely sober in which I probably should have admitted myself. I’m becoming scared of myself…this is not who I think I am or want to be.

The strange thing is that when I'm having a really good moment I can't quite remember how badly I felt...so at the time this occurs I don't feel like I need to get help. It's a sense that I'm fine and cured...and it never lasts.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ha Nobody Knows.. she & my lil dog would be the perfect pair, my pup's favorite pastime is going to the bathroom right in the next room. What's her name?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hear ya Flowers,

The feelings of anger, sadness, insecurity and lonliness was always there buried under the swooshing of booze and your right that's what your dealing with now. Yuck, I know. Give some thought about how you can work on that.

Good for you stayng at home eating chocolate and drinking tea. Love it. I just finished eating 3 reese's peanut butter cups.

Nobodyknows, you sound like you're doing great. All sounds good and normal to me. Just think about how much fun your cat is having spending time with you and tearing up your bed. He/she is saying 'Look at me, look at me, I'm having fun!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
It gets better. Hang in there.

I know I've asked this before, so forgive me, but how much longer until then? 70 days today...and no end in sight.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gerry,

I'm not sure why tonight you've decided to hijack my posts and take them over with your authoritative, self-righteous and condescending tone but it's getting a little too much.
I also didn't mean for this thread to be an on-going discussion between you and the other members.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
I hear ya Flowers,

The feelings of anger, sadness, insecurity and lonliness was always there buried under the swooshing of booze and your right that's what your dealing with now. Yuck, I know. Give some thought about how you can work on that.

Good for you stayng at home eating chocolate and drinking tea. Love it. I just finished eating 3 reese's peanut butter cups.

Nobodyknows, you sound like you're doing great. All sounds good and normal to me. Just think about how much fun your cat is having spending time with you and tearing up your bed. He/she is saying 'Look at me, look at me, I'm having fun!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i call the cat "kitty" so she thinks thats her name lol. shes only 3 mos old so she is very hyper and crazy
i also have a dachshund named cheenah. she pretty much lays around unless she has a bone, which she chews. cute doggy.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

The end result was worth it

I was told, you didn't put your self in the shape your in , in just a short time. Give it some time to recover.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post

I know I've asked this before, so forgive me, but how much longer until then? 70 days today...and no end in sight.
LOL girl, you know better than to ask me to answer that!!

143 days and counting and this has been a bad week (as was last week). The 3 weeks before that were pretty good, though, so maybe I'm almost done with this "downer" phase.