Notices

Drinkers that hide it

Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Oh jules, your post just reminded me of something else I used to do. I'm almost too ashamed to even type it here.

If I ever drank from the "public" supply at our house instead of my own (hidden) stash, where my hubby could possibly notice the next day how much I drank, I made a point of positioning the bottle in an obscure location before I went to bed (put stuff in front of it, or lay it on its side so it was hard to see exactly how much was in the bottle). The next day I'd go to the liquor store and buy a new bottle and refill "our" bottle to a more acceptable level. That way if he ever decided to monitor the level in the bottle it would look like I was drinking a more reasonable amount than I was. The added bonus for me was, of course, I got to keep the rest of that newly purchased bottle as part of my stash.

*hangs head in shame*
OMG!!!! I had been doing that for about 3 months! I always made sure I had a stash bottle, this bottle was first used to fill the main bottle that sits out, the rest was used to fill any stash bottles. This way I only had to go to the liquior store every 2-3 days. And hubby would only bring me every Friday when he got his 1 bottle for the week.

I am so glad they are all gone!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Good job on pouring it out.
My grams hides hers when she drinks. Because she doesnt want to hear anyones mouth. She swears everyone is counting how many shes had. And someitmes thats true. I hate it when she hides it. I hate it when she drinks at all. But it really pisses me off when she thinks she is fooling soemone. I would rather she just be honest.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingSoHard
Oh jules, your post just reminded me of something else I used to do. I'm almost too ashamed to even type it here.

If I ever drank from the "public" supply at our house instead of my own (hidden) stash, where my hubby could possibly notice the next day how much I drank, I made a point of positioning the bottle in an obscure location before I went to bed (put stuff in front of it, or lay it on its side so it was hard to see exactly how much was in the bottle). The next day I'd go to the liquor store and buy a new bottle and refill "our" bottle to a more acceptable level. That way if he ever decided to monitor the level in the bottle it would look like I was drinking a more reasonable amount than I was. The added bonus for me was, of course, I got to keep the rest of that newly purchased bottle as part of my stash.

*hangs head in shame*

OMG!!!! I had been doing that for about 3 months! I always made sure I had a stash bottle, this bottle was first used to fill the main bottle that sits out, the rest was used to fill any stash bottles. This way I only had to go to the liquior store every 2-3 days. And hubby would only bring me every Friday when he got his 1 bottle for the week.

I am so glad they are all gone!!!

Yes! The ingenious stash & public supply bottle!
awesome.

Man, drinking back then was a tremendous amount if work...

Life is so much easier today.
I don't have to "cover my tracks" or worry about running out
or wake up with a headful of remorse & shame...

we are truly fortunate to be sober!
Thanks for sharing your experiences...
Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by jules67 View Post
my husband came up behind me while I was typing the ways I hid alcohol and I freaked and covered the screen with my hand.

He was taken aback and asked what i was typing and I vaguely told him about the site and responding to questions ect.

I feel not ready to tell him all the dirty , shameful details of how I managed to lie about how much I drank for years. I think he would be shocked at how much I drank everynight.

jules
I haven't revealed all of my dirty little secrets, either. I told him that I hid it, and I even confessed my main hiding spot, but that's about all I've said. He would definitely freak out if he knew all the sordid details.

*shudder*
Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's horrible for us to keep such secrets, and so freeing to be able to share this.
You're right, there is a sense of freedom in finally telling someone just how insane I was. I look back on it know and wonder WTF was I thinking? How did I live like that for so long? How did I never get caught?!?

I am so grateful to be in your company here on SR. Thank you everyone for your openness. It feels so good to get it all out in the open & let the light shine on it.
I second that. I am very grateful that I can come here and admit to doing such horrible things and I don't have to worry that y'all will judge me or insult me or anything like that. You understand, you empathize, and you help me put the past behind me and learn how to move on as a stronger, sober woman. It's truly priceless. Thank you, each and every one of you.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
I haven't revealed all of my dirty little secrets, either. I told him that I hid it, and I even confessed my main hiding spot, but that's about all I've said. He would definitely freak out if he knew all the sordid details.

*shudder*
I don't think we have to give every little detail do we, I mean I find it way easier to share here. But I won't share things like hiding places etc with hubby.
Hell after the reaction from him, might have to pick someone else to share with.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

OMG! You guys are all cracking me up! I am still finding bottles all over the house when I clean and I have been sober for about a year. I have also pulled off the water bottle vodka caper, the wine in the gatorade bottle caper, the putting water in the vodka bottle so nobody knows who much ya drank caper. Bottles under the bed, in the closet, in the bathroom, my office, in with the tablecloths, behind books, a secret compartment in my purse.... YOu name it folks and I have done it!

Gee I thought I was the queen of hidden bottles and now I realize I just lost my status. Ha Ha Ha.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I hid bottles in the bathroom, the kitchen, the garage, the bedroom and in my purse. The funny thing was, I lived alone. Who was I hiding it from? It was insane.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I saw a thread in another forum a while back, I think it was Alcoholics but I'm not sure, about hiding bottles and I COULD NOT BELIEVE how many of the "tricks" I had done. And while I was doing it I just thought I was so clever...

:wtf2

It blows my mind when I think about how much time and energy I put into all that B.S. I'm SO glad I don't do that anymore!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I found if you hide something when drunk its a #itch trying to find it when sober! If trying to hide it from others, they never see something when it's hidden directly infront of their face. And I mean inches infront of them! They were enablers in the beginning anyway. There's no true friend in this world anyway. SOS is save ourselves. Thats what we've all been doing since we were out of the womb. Some turtles just have prettier shells yet turtles do know the time of their coming. I could go on forever-I don't like being threatened at AA so I like it here. 25 days clean for me!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lavaheart View Post
I found if you hide something when drunk its a #itch trying to find it when sober! !
Holy Crap this cracked me up!!!
This is so true & anyone else who has done it is laughin thier a$$ off, because they know what its like to be looking all over the house, or think crap I'm sure I put it here - who took it?!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I used to hide my beer outside in the wellhouse. I even became accustomed to drinking my beer warm because it was easier than try to keep those stashed bottles cool. I would rearrange my fire and med gear in my truck at night so I could chug a couple of beers quickly and my wife and kids would never suspect. Of course they wouldn't. How could they when I came back in the house smelling of hops and barley, eyes that looked as if they were bleeding, and that wonderful brogue I spoke when my tongue thicken with excessive alcohol intake. Ahhh, doesn't that paint a pretty picture of honesty with myself and others?? I won't even go into the stories about the assorted whiskey, schnapps, and brandy bottle collections in my closet, top bathroom cabinet, nightstand drawer, side door of the computer desk, flower boxes on the deck, storage shed, various rocks and landscaping niches in the yard, in the drainage ditch under my driveway. What, me hide anything?? Naah, just creative storage areas as not to take up valuable space in my small home. Did I mention the time I put the rum in the snow bank back in the woods...

Padraic
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToABetterMe View Post
Holy Crap this cracked me up!!!
This is so true & anyone else who has done it is laughin thier a$$ off, because they know what its like to be looking all over the house, or think crap I'm sure I put it here - who took it?!
My wife did!... and boy she was she pissed.
What was left of 6pk was placed-half hidden (pysch students have fun w/that-wanting to get caught etc.) behind the lawnmower, knowing she would never touch the mower.:wtf2
I can laugh at it now, but not then. You would have thought I was Fred Astaire by my song and dance that day.:praying
If Mommas not happy...nobody's happy. (finally got to use those silly icons in a post)
Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by ToABetterMe View Post
or think crap I'm sure I put it here - who took it?!
Oh man... I can't tell you how many times that happened to me. I'd almost pee my pants being afraid that my husband discovered my stash only to realize a little later that I "outsmarted" myself the night before to cover my tracks better. God, that was an awful feeling.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Wow. You all lived my life! I spend a LOT less time in the kitchen now! I used tobe inthere for hours at night making dinner, drinking, cleaning, drinking, etc. So happy that is not my life today!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't have long to type, so I'll just say this. Yes.. and in just about as many places and ways already posted here. I am SO glad I don't have to live that way anymore. Living with pure honesty is such freedom.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Gosh I thought I INVENTED the wine in a water bottle caper! LOL....clever people we are, ha? We all seem to know all the tricks!

I am only on day one but cannot wait to put this all behind me.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
BKP

Bushes on the back porch coming home from work, would toss a few big 24oz beers in them, and finish a 6 pack in the fridge then hit some of the 24oz.

Movies on Friday afternoons (day off from work) Drink about a 5th of whisky inside my 56oz coke i would buy at the stand, mix it inside a stall in the bathroom of the movie theater

Drink beer, gin etc out of coffee cups while driving i was a train wreck at times, those days are over.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

To my best recollection, I never hid any bottles at any point in my drinking career, there just wasn't a need to. Nor did I ever do anything to really hide my drinking. I think it was always just assumed by whoever was watching that because I was so big (6'9,275 lbs), I could handle whatever quantities I was ingesting.

Now I'm down to 250 but just as tall.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

I used to drink wine/vodka and then suck on a real strong cough drop so my husband would smell a cough drop not the wine. "Oh honey my throat is a little sore today." Yea right!