Notices

Drinkers that hide it

Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Cept, when I was underage and I had to hide it I never did after I turned legal drinking age. Hid my stash a lot wondering for days after where, I put it.

Like most of us, I didn't hide the fact I was drinking, I hid the fact how much I was drinking to avoid people saying, I've had too much to drink etc.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Vodka + couple drops of blue food dye + windex bottle.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I can't remember the number of times I ducked into a WalMart restroom to take a "knock off the ankle" of a bottle of schnapps. And the wintergreen lifesavers masked the smell. (Sure it did.)
Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Found some more bottles in my drawer

OK now this is getting silly. I cannot believe I am still finding this stuff around the house. When will it ever stop? I remember when my husband found three vodka bottles hiding in the closet. I lied to him and told him I was saving them to use them as candle holders. Remember in the 70s when you would melt wax down the bottle and then stick the candle in the top? OMG I cannot believe I used that stupid excuse. I feel like such an ass.
Anyway, here is a repeat of the hiding bottles link.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hide-them.html

I am sure some of the newbies can relate.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Oh me me! I hid it. I was so slick about it that no one knew when I was staggering and slurring (For some reason, when you're wasted, it seems like the best time EVER to call people on the phone for a chat) or I was passed out on the floor of the den. I was so clever that I even went to different liquor stores so the clerks there wouldn't know. And the garbage men...I used to spread my dead bottles among my recycle can and my neighbors. Had THEN bamboozled. And when I went to work so hungover I could barely function and I smelled like a towel drenched in Scotch, I would wear perfume. Haaaa...I had them ALL fooled!! And I only drank socially in public. Unless I didn't. Which was often.
-One darn clever alcoholic.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinkClouded View Post
I was so clever that I even went to different liquor stores so the clerks there wouldn't know.
Sheesh, I did that and I think they still all knew me by name.

Never hid my problem from my wife but I never admitted I had a problem until last week. I always had a 30 pack in the fridge out in the garage and stacks of empty boxes next to it. I used a koozie when driving or outdoors. Hey, the tops are blue like a pepsi can...like that fools anybody.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
deedee

I am a booze hider too, in the basement, outside, in my purse, where ever i thought I could get a chug in. Sometimes I would make excuses to my family why I need to go outside for a minute or 2 and i would just grab my beer and chug it and go back in like nothing. It's not a nice feeling to always be hiding and drinking.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My daughter was making remarks about my drinking amount so I started hiding my bottles making her think I was drinking less or not at all. Of course I was. Thing is, I can hide the bottles but I can't hide my drinking self. So best to keep the hiding place empty, or put something else in there to take up the space.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

i always tried to have extra stashes hidden around but i would always end up drinking them that day, so that never worked

i did hide it from my friends though. i'd be like "oh yeah i havent drank for days!" or "i only had 2 beers!", when in fact i had like 10. im sure they knew but they never said anything. plus, i was lying to myself, telling myself that i had only two beers. sad thing is, i believed it most of the time... like when i would go to work after a 6 pack and be like "OH IM FINE," and be talking to customers with booze breath, ignoring the fact that they were looking at me like, "what the $#@! this girl smells like booze"

Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

They don't sell booze in GA on Sundays. I was a real dissapointment when I would check my hiding places on a Sunday and nothing was left. No drinking that day!!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
They don't sell booze in GA on Sundays. I was a real dissapointment when I would check my hiding places on a Sunday and nothing was left. No drinking that day!!
Wow! And I felt sorry for myself because I had to wait until noon in Texas.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld View Post
Sheesh, I did that and I think they still all knew me by name.

Never hid my problem from my wife but I never admitted I had a problem until last week. I always had a 30 pack in the fridge out in the garage and stacks of empty boxes next to it. I used a koozie when driving or outdoors. Hey, the tops are blue like a pepsi can...like that fools anybody.
Well, it's not a perfect system. Maybe we just have more stores here. LOVE the koozie and blue can thing. Never thought of that. And someone said they used a windex bottle w/ blue food coloring. SUCH creativity. That's got to be my favorite. Very impressive.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
I'm in GA too....I would by an extra six pack on Saturday just to make sure that didn't happen. Good old walk in closet. On Sunday when I "needed" the booze, it didn't matter that it was warm. Yuck.

I walked upstairs like 10 times a night to grab a long drink off my hidden cans. I used the excuse that I didn't like not having privacy in the downstairs bathroom. I also folded laundry in small loads so that I could make more trips upstairs.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sometimes I hid it, sometime I just didn't give a flying rat's rear.

You know it's bad when the people around you hide bottles from you.

When I was on a drinking spree, my mom would hide her booze so I wouldn't drink it all--she likes to have a drink or two every once in a while and almost ALWAYS has some in the house (the temptation is killer sometimes). I know where she's keeping it now, but at least I don't have to look at it.

If I were to fly off the handle or have a really bad day, the booze in the cupboard magically goes into hiding. Yup...

Last edited by Bamboozle; 02-19-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I am so glad for this thread! I think hiding it is one of my greatest shames. Like others, when my family decided that I couldn't drink anymore, I felt resentful of their insinuations (!!!) and started to hide it. I would use closets, jackets, etc but then had the problem with where to put the empties. Aha! So after I bought the pint, I would put it in a Diet Coke can and chuck the empty in a public trash can. I realized not long ago that I couldn't find ANY trash cans in our small town that I had not used. Before I got that "savvy", I used to hide bottles outside, in the bushes, under a rock and then try to find them later and not remember where I put them. The next day, when I went to dispose of the bottle (for some reason, I would always get rid of the bottles on a daily basis), I often couldn't find it and go into a panic, worried that a family member had discovered my secret. So, so sad, and so insane that it made such sense to me at the time, when, like all others here, I was just hiding from myself.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

the other day i went to the grocery store to buy some fruit, and apparently the clerk recognized me bc i would always go in there drunk to buy more booze, and this time i wasnt, but i was really tired and had just rolled out of bed, and she looked at me really weird and was like "take care of yourself"
scary
Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
BKP

For a while sneaking in big 40 oz beers, drinking in the dark with the volume down so i could hide it if my girlfriend woke up and came out of the bedroom. Drinking 6 beers in like 20 mins and then working slower to my "high". Buying kids beer and taking money in return. Not a good way of life, College was a blur. It took me years after that to get my act together. Sad.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

yup I hid em

If I were to fly off the handle or have a really bad day, the booze in the cupboard magically goes into hiding. Yup...
LOL Bam
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Freedom Seeker

Everyone thinks I don't drink. That's what I tell people when asked...never drink at parties or get togethers.

I always drink alone and always hide it.

I did the thing someone else mentioned about rotating grocery stores and buying just enough groceries to justify buying beer at 8 a.m. Since I hid it, I bought every day. Then got rid of the empties every day. It was a whole routine.

Oh, I imagine I thought I was sneaky, hiding it in my SUV, my closet, my coats, luggage, my boots, the yard. The best one was under the garbage bag that lined my daughter's diaper bin. Now who's gonna look there?!

Since I always drank beer, it was always warm. Not that bad if you are desperate for the buzz.

My whole life was about lying and deceit.

Then the other day my 2 year old who called it Mommy's "coke-coke" said something about it. I said "where is Mommy's coke-coke?" She said in the closet in the boots. Oh christ. I was mortified.

Today is day 1 for me, so I hope that I can look back on it as the hiding of the past and not the hiding of the present.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

i was a closet drinker?

i always tried to hide my wine, from the kids, neighbors, everyone. like "no-one" knew, lol? i did all the normal things alkies do to hide there drinking. but hindsight tells me everyone knew anyway? what a waste of effort, lol!
i had a cousin who hid her vodka in her steam iron............work good until the girls used the iron?

take care everyone
:praying