Notices

I'm turning into a tight wad.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I'm turning into a tight wad.

If you guys have ever watched Everybody hates Chris. And seen how the dad is so cheap. Talking about close the refridgerator door. You let out 85 cents of cold air. LOL..Thats me.

I would spend hundreds. Sometimes thousands in a matter of days using without hesitation. NOW...I will break it down to pennies. Thast right. Dont cook so much food at once. I dont care if we are eating meatloaf for 3 days. Finish what was cooked before making anything else. Measure the dam laundry soap and softener. Make sure that garbage bag is to capacity before changing it. I am getting so bad. My gram is about to knock me out.
It is good to be like that to a point. But I think I am getting a little extreme. Alot extreme actually. I am not turning my underwear inside out and wearing them the next day tho. I havent gone that far . But I am getting on my own nerves.
Anyone else turn into a tight ass when they stop using?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish I had Chiynita, I'm waiting for sobriety to show in my bank balance but I seem to be spending any extra cash I have on food, I'm going to be mega skint and mega fat soon.

Better than being drunk but damn I need to lose some weight.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can't say I've experienced it, but I'm only 28 days sober. Maybe you are sub-consciously trying to reclaim the money you wasted while using.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

How many sheets of toilet paper do you hand out at toilly time? Do you seperate the 2 ply into one ply? That is cheap.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

LOL Chiy! Getting on your own nerves!? Ok, that should be a hint.

I haven't had that happen to me (I'm a spoiled lil biatch!) so I can't offer any helpful advice. At least you recognize it, though! Try to ease up on yourself a little bit.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dont have any money either. And thats the whole point of why I am like that.
It seems like everytime I turn around we are running out of something. There are 2 of us here. Well 2 to 4 kids during the day. But where the hell is this stuff going?
I am not getting ahead because of that. Thats my point.
So I am monitoring usage. When someone else starts paying for the stuff. Let them do what they want. LOL
And as much toilet paper as we are going through is ridiculous. Thx for the idea fub.
Stuff isnt cheap anymore. It boils down to not living like we use to when we actually had money. We use to be real comfortable when my gramp was alive. Now we are getting by. My grams is a name brand *****. I see nothing wrong with store brand.
My aunt and all them eat take out or go out to eat a few times a week. I have no idea how they afford to do it. They make way more than me. But I will be thinking. That 100 bucks you just spent on just dinner for the second time in 3 days. OMG..What I could have bought to last a few weeks.
I hate shopping with my grams and she hates shopping with me.
And just so yall know..I only have about a month clean this round. So with me it has nothing to do with how long I havent used. My money isnt going to drugs and I want to hold onto as much as I can now.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hard times for nearly everyone Trish - I don't think a little money consciousness is bad...

but yeah, when you get to the inside out undie thing? Stop. LOL

D
Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
Measure the dam laundry soap and softener. Make sure that garbage bag is to capacity before changing it.
I am not turning my underwear inside out and wearing them the next day tho.
Chiy I am a stickler around the house too! I think when I was all spaced out I just didn't notice or didn't care. Now I have goals and I watch those pennies.

I think some guys in college used the inside-out undies trick LOL!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm the same way. I don't make very much, and what I DO make, all goes toward bills. I owe a small fortune to past-due bills from when I used to make money, before I became an addict. I think I can stretch a penny until it screams.

Just about the only non-essentials I will buy are cigarettes (for me) and cat treats (for the 3 furbabies).

I save my change and try to save it for "fun money", but sometimes I have to use it for a bill.

So, no, you're not alone. I haven't gotten on my own nerves, yet, though

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
If you guys have ever watched Everybody hates Chris. And seen how the dad is so cheap. Talking about close the refridgerator door. You let out 85 cents of cold air. LOL..Thats me.

I would spend hundreds. Sometimes thousands in a matter of days using without hesitation. NOW...I will break it down to pennies. Thast right. Dont cook so much food at once. I dont care if we are eating meatloaf for 3 days. Finish what was cooked before making anything else. Measure the dam laundry soap and softener. Make sure that garbage bag is to capacity before changing it. I am getting so bad. My gram is about to knock me out.
It is good to be like that to a point. But I think I am getting a little extreme. Alot extreme actually. I am not turning my underwear inside out and wearing them the next day tho. I havent gone that far . But I am getting on my own nerves.
Anyone else turn into a tight ass when they stop using?
Haha i've been always such a nitwit hahaha. I've always seen it as economic and environmental awareness . Now that i'm sober i actually have to watch out not te let it all go!!! The last two weeks have been a mess. My house is dirty, been spending money like water, my administration is just no more, and I consume way to much of everything, have to throw stuff away very often.

I started about two days ago to regain my tightwattyness lol...it actually makes me feel a lot nicer then this chaos.

It all depends on how you look at it.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Chiy, I saw a show a long time ago about these people who spent only a few thousand dollars a year on EVERYTHING. I can't remember much, but they would do things like go to fast food restaurants to stock up on salt, pepper, and ketchup--they would empty the packets in a ketchup bottle. They wouldn't buy anything at the food places...they just took the condiments. LOL.

The father would actually take the time to separate 2-ply toilet paper and re-roll it onto empty rolls (yup, they saved those). He would do the same for paper towels.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

trish
I am not turning my underwear inside out and wearing them the next day tho.
oh-My!

trish, ism's are like natural instincts taken to the extreams...

its way more, or way less...

a happy medium is the order...

you will find it...
Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Chiyntia...you sound like me. Money is so tight righ now. It's funny because I just woke up at 5 am worrying about money and not being able to go back to sleep...so I came on here. And the first post I read is yours. Wow...people are going through the same thing I am. I'm so sorry I don't have advice but money worries keep me up at night. Thanks for your post.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never been one to spend money on non-essentials, but now that I'm living on a small fixed income I'm even more of a tight wad. I only buy what I must have, and nothing extra, unless it's for the dogs! (I'm poor but my dogs are rich!)

I see nothing wrong with being careful with money, especially in this economy. And using up what you have before buying more is just being sensible, to me, anyway.

I see nothing strange or bad in being a tightwad. I think you're a very sensible smart person, making your money last as long as possible!:ghug3
Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If I am on a binge, money becomes meaningless. When I am sober I don't like buying anything, lol. I sometimes say to myself things like,
"buy the damn *whatever*, you would spend more than that on a 2 day binge".
Old 01-24-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Resident

Let's use this as a thrift post and everyone post a tip tp save money.

I wear my jeans more than one time to save on laundry costs which run around $4 a load as I live in an apartment.
My son wants his jeans washed with one wearing but I sometimes just fokd them back up so he doesn't know Shhhhh. Don't rat me out to him.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OMG, I wear my jeans for weeks! LOL
Old 01-24-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Doing 'full' loads of laundry is a big help. I like my farm grandma's old saying: Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without! Good grief, I wash ziplock bags (unless used for meat)!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by least View Post
Doing 'full' loads of laundry is a big help. I like my farm grandma's old saying: Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without! Good grief, I wash ziplock bags (unless used for meat)!
You get meat at your place? I am jealous.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Chiy, I saw a show a long time ago about these people who spent only a few thousand dollars a year on EVERYTHING. I can't remember much, but they would do things like go to fast food restaurants to stock up on salt, pepper, and ketchup--they would empty the packets in a ketchup bottle. They wouldn't buy anything at the food places...they just took the condiments. LOL.

The father would actually take the time to separate 2-ply toilet paper and re-roll it onto empty rolls (yup, they saved those). He would do the same for paper towels.
I dont think I would go that far Bam..LOL

I am always wondering how my grams is always doing laundry when its just her clothes. And I only go through a load a week. Thats work clothes and regular clothes.We ran out of laundry soap a couple weeks ago and she used the last of my Pantene shampoo. I was livid!!! Why would you use the last of the good shampoo when you have a huge bottle of store brand hand soap and 3 other bottles partially used of cheap shampoo? AHHH!!!
Some things I do need to spend that extra money for. Like shampoo and soap. I can only use oil of olay. Everything else makes my skin so dry. And pantene ..Well. I just like it.
I will wear my tennis shoes out before I buy a new pair. If it wasnt for my family buying a bunch of new clothes for my bday last year. I wouldnt even have new clothes. I hate and I mean hate wasting food. And my grams has always cooked like theres 10 people living here. And thats why I eat alot too. I dont want it to go to waste. We need some portion control here.
And lotto tickets are just pointless to me. LOL.
I could go on and on.