Notices

Is it possible to revert to drinking casually?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

If you have to control it...you are probably out of control.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hmmmmn...I have a feeling if you asked a group of alcoholics, "Which end is up?", you'd wind up in a very animated "discussion".

I'm a great believer in Keep It Simple. You asked a simple question:

Is it possible to revert to drinking casually?
So, I'll give you a simple answer:

If you were able to drink "casually", there would be no need to "revert". JMHO

Old 11-28-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Is it possible revert to casual drinking?

This seems to be the question on mostly all first time quitters. I know it is for me. I drank socially for about 20 years. I didn't really like it most people called me a non-drinker. I would have a class of wine to be social. We got a summer home and it seems everyone drinks alot every weekend. I joined them and surpassed them. Now can I go back to where I was I don't think so but I did before I got out of control liked having wine with special occasion dinners.

Anyway I don't think anyone can answer the quesiton for you. This is a web site that is referenced on SR somewhere called modification management. I think one of the requirements is to abstain for 30 days. It also gives some explainations you can give your friends like giving my liver a break, training, or watching my weight. Good luck and keep us informed.

As I said on another thread I am abstaining for at least 1 year before trying again. If by then I am not convinced as I suspect I might not be I am just trying to learn from everyone else. There I go always rambling!!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Just another day...

For me I do not think I can go back to "normal" drinking. I tried. I did ok at first but ended up right back to "THAT" drunk girl. Even when I did drink like others do, I still felt guilty and shameful. I felt like I was crawling out of my skin once I had that first drink, trying so hard to control it and not slam them down one after another. Its always been none or all. I can stick with the none for a long time, but once I get one in me...sigh...
Old 11-28-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

To quote the big book "when I enjoyed it I couldn't control it and when I controlled it I couldn't enjoy it".
Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

If you are drinking and it is causing problems in your life....I think you just answered your own question.
If you cannot go out with friends and enjoy the time together without drinking......I think you have answered your own question yet again.

I will not say you are or are not addicted as that is only something you will know (if you are being honest with yourself). I think you taking the 30 day test is a good way to determine where you stand. Good luck with the 30 day run and welcome to SR.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Dismember

My thoughts on this question I find are best expressed through a short, one-act play. The scene opens in a doctor's office...

Patient: So doctor, what's the scoop on this new medicine I've been hearing about, Buzeffor?
Doctor: Oh! Buzeffor! It's a medication that works on Friday evenings as a mild sedative and sociability-enhancer. Some people are prescribed it for TGIF syndrome.
Patient: Interesting. Are there any side effects to this medication?
Doctor: Yes, there are. Some of the common side effects are: headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, memory loss, loss of employment, divorce, liver disease and colon cancer; and in some cases, death.
Patient: And you say it's causes relaxation once a week?
Doctor: Yes, for about an hour or two during the evening. Some similar medications are Yogaquel and Camomilteelexa, which have the same effect but almost no side effects.
Patient: Really? Tell me more about them... (curtain)

Basically, for me knowing what is possible as a "side effect" of some day trying to moderate is not worth the expected gain I could hope to receive from casual drinking. Even in my own case, where about 95% of my drinking life was moderate and about 5% abusing-alcoholism, I still did enough damage that I'm quite happy to wish it all good-bye.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

hey htr...
as most said here...only you can decide if you can drink socially or if you have a problem. having said that...
i know for me the answer is a resounding NO....i can never go back to drinking socially, whatever that is...as far back as i can remember..and i don't remember much that's for sure...anyway...i could never have ONE glass of wine...1=20 for me! always has and always will...that's a test i don't want to take...not after the wreckage i caused in my life from drinking!!
i was a binge drinker most of my career, until the last few years when i became a very dysfunctional daily drinker...thought i was functioning just fine...others however were like "she's gone off the deep end"! they were right!! and thanks to aa, these forums and my family and friends...i don't have to fall off the deep end again...i like the shallow end just fine
definitely try laying off for 30 days, keep coming here and see how it goes...you don't have to "call" yourself anything!!
i wish you peace!!
Hugs,
Lisa
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I was a party animal and thought a real job would settle me down. All it did was suck worse because now I had a hangover at the job. I am a weekened binge drinker that sometimes gets a start on thursday nights. Hope it works out for you, but for me it didn't it just ment when I drank I would screw up important stuff.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

For *ME* I've realized that answer is NO~ I tried it this Thanksgiving, had 1 glass Wed. Night, 4 Turkey Day, none Friday, then Saturday I ended up downing 2 bottles of wine probably more since I was too drunk to keep track! I don't remember Saturday night past a certain point.

I thought I could control it, kept telling myself "You're not an Alcoholic!" Well, I can't control my drinking, so what does that mean? Whether I call myself an alcoholic or not is a technicality...I simply cannot drink.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I always wondered in amazement about the people who showed up to parties (college) and didn't drink or use. Nobody seemed to care that they weren't using any substances--these people had fun off of their own energy. How did they do it?

Well, that certainly wasn't me. After a particular party, an acquaintance went around telling everyone that I "drink like a man" (I'm a female). I and everyone else laughed about it. Truth was, I drank like I had a problem.

I wish you well, htr. There are people who do "settle down" once they get out of college, but some don't. Hang around SR for a while and keep posting. I think you'll find that there are others in a similar situation.
Bam-I think your my sister from another mister

I am not also amazed by people who have a good time sober, I am jealous because all my life drinking=fun. I secretly wanted to be like them. I have recently begun to realize its not so and am trying to be like the people I've been jealous of.

I also have been credited the fact I "drink like a man". Unfortunately it was accepted by everyone around me. Often pointed out as one of my attributes and I sadly admit I was a little proud of it. Sick huh?

htr... I hope you find the answer you need and not the answer youre looking for.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hey Hardtoregister.
Drink Odouls non alchohalic beer. It tastes like beer and pretty socially acceptable. To all you folks fighting the monster? DDDOOONNNTTT drink that stuff. It will trigger cravings for the real thing. Trust me I know.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
i ate 13 donuts one day in about two hours, i dont think it would be wise for me to try to have just one drink...

ya think?

LMAO, Thanks for the laugh. That just hit me right you saying you ate 13 doughnuts one day, LOL
Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Hardtoregister.
Drink Odouls non alchohalic beer. It tastes like beer and pretty socially acceptable. To all you folks fighting the monster? DDDOOONNNTTT drink that stuff. It will trigger cravings for the real thing. Trust me I know.
I thanked this post. I didn't mean to.

To anyone having self confessed problems with drinking, I think non alcoholic beer is about the worst thing you could switch to. You said so yourself...

it's a rare poster who won't go from non-alc to the real thing
D
Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I say it would have to depend on the person.
Though when in recovery or even out of recovery it is strongly advised that you do not try to drink, its best just to never do it again and leave it at that.
When you start drinking again that makes it easier for a person to relapse.
But it all depends on your will power and if you know when enough is enough.
Most people don't.
So I suggest not taking the chance in messing up your sobriety.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hardtoregister View Post
Is it possible to just drink less, with a little self discipline?
That is a question I have asked myself over and over again for a long time. I always told myself that this time will be different, that I can just limit my drinking and I won't blackout anymore. It usually would work for a little while but it was always just a matter of time before I would have one too many and not be able to stop.

I tried so hard to find a way to just be a casual drinker, I really didn't want to have to quit but no matter how many times I tried it never worked.

Maybe there are people out there who have been able to do it but I am certainly not one of them.