Notices

Is it possible to revert to drinking casually?

Old 11-27-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i ate 13 donuts one day in about two hours, i dont think it would be wise for me to try to have just one drink...

ya think?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

After giving this some thought - no. Not for me any ways! Happy Thanksgiving day.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

((((13 donuts? Wow...sounds like me with M&Ms (or cake, or ice cream...).))))

Sorry, not trying to hijack...please disregard.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

oodvish54....Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 11-27-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Personally, I CAN revert to casual drinking... for a week, two.... even a month... and then the slide begins.... and inevitably I am back drinking hard and heavy. The ONLY way I can avoid that is to stay sober all the way. It's NOT easy but it can be done... depends on if you are an alcoholic are not.... if you can't stop at one or two, you won't stop until you pass out at some point.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I doubt you'll find many ppl here who'll say its possible, but it may be for you.

There are many '20 questions tests' on line to help you determine if you're an alcoholic like these I googled

Alcoholism Test

Are You An Alcoholic?

I don't know of any alcoholics who can successfully moderate their drinking.

D
I got 16 "Yes" answers outta 25. Thats 64%. About the same as I did in school.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steamvessel View Post
No, once you pass the line of not being able to control it, you can't go back. It's just the way it is.
I dont believe that. Everyone is different. Myself? Yeah, Im an alky. I cant drink responsibly. I tend to spill it and waste it after Im drunk. But, I dont think everyone who binge drinks in College is an alcoholic.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberStephanie7 View Post
Personally, I CAN revert to casual drinking... for a week, two.... even a month... and then the slide begins.... and inevitably I am back drinking hard and heavy. The ONLY way I can avoid that is to stay sober all the way. It's NOT easy but it can be done... depends on if you are an alcoholic are not.... if you can't stop at one or two, you won't stop until you pass out at some point.
I'm with you, here, Stephanie! Me to a "T."

This past year, I've often gone weeks at a time sober -- up to 58 days once. And although the majority of the time spent drinking "casually" turned out ok (as in able to stop at one or two) -- the inevitable hangovers, "looks" from my kids, and occasional blackout brought me right back here.

I'm STILL having trouble accepting the fact that I can't drink like everyone else. I can SAY it, I can ADMIT it -- but I'm not quite at the ACCEPTANCE part. I WANT TO BE THERE, though, and don't want something catastrophic to tip the scale.

I just keep trying to stay sober and have promised myself to begin abstaining again IMMEDIATELY whenver I slip up.

Hopefully, one of these days I'll be shouting from the rooftops AND accepting my NEW LIFE all at once.

Good luck, keep reading, and be honest with YOURSELF.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

But, I dont think everyone who binge drinks in College is an alcoholic.
Doesn't mean they're *not* tho TS...

it certainly doesn't mean they're not setting themselves up for alcoholic drinking patterns...and certainly doesn't mean we should accept binge drinking as any kind of normal behaviour either.

D
Old 11-27-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

" Everyone " who binge drinks at college doesn't seek help from a recovery site either !!!!!!!!

You don't ask the question if you don't have some concerns.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

LOL. This is gonna be intresting. Maybe you guys should read my post again. I cant believe you guys wanna turn my opinion into a debate, but why not? I have a little time before its Turkey time. Lets do it.
Doesn't mean they're *not* tho TS...

it certainly doesn't mean they're not setting themselves up for alcoholic drinking patterns...and certainly doesn't mean we should accept binge drinking as any kind of normal behaviour either.

D
So your saying...every single person who binge drinks in College is an alcoholic? Im not condoning "binge drinking" by any means. Its a very common problem on many campuses and kids die all the time doing it. But all I am simply saying that is not ALL kids who may binge drink in college are alcoholics or become alcoholics. Is it normal behavior? Who knows. Its the way it is at many schools. Peer pressure, whatever. The kids are away from home maybe for the first time and getting sauced is often the "in thing" to do. At least it was when I went to school. Keg parties on the weekends, etc. So, its not possible that even one or two of these kids move on and out grow the party phase?
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
" Everyone " who binge drinks at college doesn't seek help from a recovery site either !!!!!!!!

You don't ask the question if you don't have some concerns.
Again. So, EVERYONE who binge drinks in college is an alcoholic? ? So, EVERYONE who binge drinks in college seek recovery? And where in my post did I mention anything about who should and shouldnt or who will and who wont seek recovery? I mean from what I am gathering from you two is EVERY SINGLE KID WHO BINGE DRINKS IS AN ALCOHOLIC. Right? So, I guess we can now answer the question on this thread. YES, YOU ARE AN ALCOHOLIC. YOU ANSWERED YES TO SIX OR MORE QUESTIONS. YOUR DOOMED FOR LIFE AND CAN NEVER DRINK NORMAL AGAIN. LOL Cause according to these two, every SINGLE kid who binge drinks is an alky and can never drink normal again. All people are the same. So much for everyone is different. I been here at SoberRecovery since 04. The kid came in here and asked a simple question that only he or she can answer. I think you two just wanna argue and debate. Goes on a lot here in the Alky section of SoberRecovery. Now the thread is basicly being highjacked.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Testosterone flowing around yr place today Mikey?
LOL.

I think maybe you need to read some posts again
D
Old 11-27-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Testosterone flowing around yr place today Mikey?
LOL.

I think maybe you need to read some posts again
D
Testosterome? Ummm, I do believe you quoted me first. All I said is not everyone who binge drinks is or will become an alcoholic. Everyone is different. I dont think its fair to try and convince this newcomer he or she is an alcoholic. Or to tell themm they can never drink or be "Normal" again.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

If you're an alcoholic, no. If you are just a crazy college kid who drinks too much, you'll probably calm down one day and be fine!

Please don't be in an AA meeting in 10 years and quote that, lol!!
Old 11-27-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Sorry, think your missing my point, of all the kids at college that binge drink I don't think many of them stop to consider if they've got a problem or not.

My theory for what its worth is that if somebody feels they need to come on to a recovery site and ask the question then there is a good chance that they already know within themselves that they have a problem.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

True Fizzy. It certainly never would have occurred to me. In fact, it was only because someone else commented on my drinking (with shock and horror, I must admit!) that I tried to stop three years ago, and found I couldn't!

In the AA Big Book, it says to try some controlled drinking if you are unsure of whether you have a problem or not. Controlled drinking is a form of torture to me - enuff said!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I never considerer my drinking much of a problem when I was younger. I knew I really, really liked to drink though. When my drinking progressed to every day, I knew I had a problem. I was always going to stop. I would set a day and the day would come and go and I was still drinking. A job never stopped me from drinking, but drinking did get me fired from my job. Even when I knew my job was in jeopardy, I still couldn't stop. That is the nature of the beast. Can I go back to drinking a single toast? Simply, no and I would never take the chance of risking my sobriety in doing so.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

In the years Ive been sober and attending AA.. I have never seen anybody that labeled themselves as problem drinker go back to normal drinking. Ive seen a lot try.. but none have succeeded.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Wow. I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I never would have thought I could have this many opinions in that amount of time.

In response to some things said above:

It's true, I know my drinking is not normal, and its causing problems in my life. The dilemma I am faced with is I have not figured out yet if it is because I am addicted to alcohol, or I am just used to this silly student lifestyle. For four years I have been living this life, there are so many social functions every week, all of which involve excessive alcohol consumption (drinking games, keggers, etc.). I'm just not sure if I'm really an alcoholic, or I'm just settled into this lifestyle.

I'm going to try the 30 day thing, I'm not really going to have much of an opportunity to drink during exams anyways. Ive already canceled on "going out and getting some pitchers" on friday with many puzzled looks. I'm sure there will be an after exams party as well, but I am going to try the 30 day thing, and keep posting and reading on this site. I am quite taken with the amount of opinions and genuine concern of so many people here.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AW2486 View Post
In the years Ive been sober and attending AA.. I have never seen anybody that labeled themselves as problem drinker go back to normal drinking. Ive seen a lot try.. but none have succeeded.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I must have tried to control my drinking 20 times over the last 2 years, every time it works for a while before i end up drinking more than ever.

There's a section on the site about the book "Under the influence" that deals with exactly this.

Personally I think its always doomed to failure and just a way of continuing to drink, I also think Alcoholism is far more wide spread then people realise.