Notices

Mcribb's randoms

Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Mcribb's randoms

I am ready to try to quit for good again. I am 27 years old, single, I don't have any DWI's or been to the hospital or anything like that, but I use alcohol as a drug. I am ususally able to stay sober Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. On thursdays we have triva night at a local bar. By this time I am ususally fed up with work and life and just start drinking and it ususally doesn't stop until sunday. I am going to try to lean on this site and call around for help later on this week. I want to stop drinking because it is making me sick, it costs too much money, I am tired of the madness. I have been down this road again. It sucks so bad that I am fine mon tuesday and wed and ususally thursday, tricking me into thinking I don't have a problem. Then I see that it is ruining my life. Throw me some good thoughts and thanks for anyone that will read this.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Day 2 without a drink. I won't have any problems not drinking during the week so I will make it today without a drink. I will stay positive though and throw myself a cookie for not "picking up" today I am going to do more research online to see if there is any programs that might work for me AA doesn't really work for me because there are only certain days in Kansas City that is "open" I am going to message my friends that I am going to try to quit drinking again.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

One thing that is different this time is i am not scared of giving it up. I went for a couple months last year and I was scared to death that I would have no life. I just have to regroup and stay motivated to not drink that first drink
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You CAN quit drinking for good, for your own good. Have you tried AA? I don't go to many meetings these days except for my home group, but it was a great help in my first couple months.

What changed for me, finally, and made it possible to stay sober was wanting to be sober more than anything else.

You CAN do it! Take it one day at a time.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I am hoping to get inspired by hanging out on here. I know that you have to want to be sober over everything else. I don't have that feeling yet. I am hoping to learn alittle more and decide that it's over for good. I hope I can hang around my friends and not give in like I always do. Everytime I come back I have a better grasp on what it takes though. Thanks for everything guys
Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on chooseing to have a sober life

Good to see you again
Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
Throw me some good thoughts and thanks for anyone that will read this.
Here's a good thought. I've got 1,358 days of sobriety. For 27 years I couldn't put together two days sober. But one day at a time, with the help of AA, I've managed to put together an amazing life in recovery.

So I guess it is possible, even for a hopeless alcoholic like me.

You can do it too Mcribb. Yes, you have to want it more than anything else, it has to be the most important thing in your life.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

Glad to hear that you are giving AA a try. Given the situation you described it sounds like a social situation with sober people would be a good idea. The reason I say that is that it sounds like you enjoy the social aspect of the bar but need to avoid the booze.

Are you willing to change your weekly patterns? Can you stay out of bars and avoid trivia night for now? One key to not picking up that first drink is avoiding places that serve alcohol. For me at least, I know I am going to have a drink the moment I decide to walk through those bar doors.

Also, have you given some thought as to why you are fed up with work and life later in the week? Is there anything that you can change about that?

Just sharing some thoughts, hopefully you will find one or so useful.

Good job on your sober time so far and keep moving forward!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I am willing to not go to triva night for now. Although I have been to that bar and not drank. I don't even want to go. I don't have many friends and the ones that do drink until they pass out. I need to be alittle stronger because the peer pressure always gets to me. Either that or I feel like crap because I am alone, bored, or frustrated with life. My work always weighs me down and I worry a ton. The only thing that lets it go is alcohol, but I know it is poisen. I was sober for 6 days in a row one time and my friend hounded me to have a beer at his house with his parents around. I just need to get angry or something when people pressure me into drinking no one puts a gun to my head. Oh well I will re read this thread and see you guys in the chat rooms. "the most important thing in my life" part scares me. I never though freaking brewskies would get that bad, but it has. I wish I could hate it worse, I feel aweful when I do drink, and when I am hungover it's almost like it gives me something to do (nurse the hangover) I have so many excuses it is bad. I wake up go to work and I stay strong for a couple days or it isn't tempted but life has a way of beating me up and I just say screw it and start drinking again. I am pretty meloncholy today. Hopefully when I rest up I will be more motivated tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

The regular stuff in life just pounds me, bills, crying babies (not my own ha) car doesn't start. Jobs cutting benifits, I don't ever have a problem with the first of the week it is when all the problems mount. Oh well. The first try's to sober up I had the Never ever again worry, I have had enough drinks in my lifetime. I just need some motivation or actual good things happen to me when I don't drink. I know there is a mourning period or something like that, but when I try to not drink it just seems like i twiddle my thumbs and wait to go to sleep. I will just try to plan and post on here as much as possible to atleast give my liver and body a break from the grind.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
you mention drinking friends ...I found new non drinking
friends in AA meetings.

Another thing about my AA journey...I've never been bored!

Recovery is an awesome adventure
Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Hey mcribb. remember the way you felt all cramped up and a tylonal PM couldn't even help you sleep
Old 11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Watch out! Tylenol and alcohol don't mix!

Welcome back.
I tried several times to quit. Each time I picked back up, I drank more. Stopped again, picked up again, drank even more. etc....So far, you have been lucky and not had the hospital or DWI. How many more chances you think you got?

I finally got the head and heart in the right place. We (head, heart, me) all agree that I have a problem with alcohol. It controls me. I am addicted. The only way for me is sobriety. I had to make changes in my lifestyle. But the changes worked.

Sobriety is worth all the effort!

Stay strong!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I am pretty meloncholy today. Hopefully when I rest up I will be more motivated tomorrow.
Don't depend on time alone treating your alcohol problem. If you were "uncomfortable in your own skin" before you found alcohol gave relief from that feeling, you will find the "uncomfortable in your own skin" part is still there after quitting alcohol.

That is why 12 step programs have more than one step. To give you some of the same comfort alcohol gave you.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Thanks guys. I am pretty confortable in my skin. I really loved the way I worked out and ate well last week. I just need to get over and grow up on those two days. I don't have many more times left in me to get drunk. I can feel my insides being turned out by the drug.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

because there are only certain days in Kansas City that is "open"
if i understand you correctly you are thinking that you can only attend "open meetings" ??? if so then:

open meetings are for everyone and are usually a meeting in which one person talks and everyone else just listens

closed meetings are for "people with the desire to quit drinking", for the alcholic.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

ahh ok I didn't know if you needed like an alcoholic card or something to get into the meetings. I don't have time to go to the dmv today.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

cool....i don't know what a "DMV" is but that don't matter i guess.

yes the "closed meetings", are where the action of recovery takes place.
get to one when you can ... give it a try
Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

ahh ok I didn't know if you needed like an alcoholic card or something to get into the meetings. I don't have time to go to the dmv today.
Is DMV Department of Motor Vehicles?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

yes dmv is department of motor vehicles. It was a joke.