Notices

Just a quite trivial question really.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
....my dr. said he knew people who drank more without any health problems...I had massive health problems....is my dr. a little bit wrong on that one? ....

My cousin who I'm very close to has been working on a local hospital ward caring for severe alcoholics. You know, the near death cases. Obviously, I've been talking a lot with her recently and I remember her telling me that an estimate of alcohol intake is nowhere near as important as an assessment of the patients bodily ability to cope with it.
I guess she was trying to say that we are all, in fact, very different from each other and some folk are more as risk than others.
Just something I heard but kida makes sense, don't ya reckon?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

yeah tim..it does...my dr said...this isn't a moral issue, it isn't about that you get drunk and hit people or anything like that....this is that your body cannot handle alchohol anymore at all.

It does make sense...I was just suprised that there are people drinking liters of liquer a day and NOT having physical problems.

One things for sure...my body chemistry is really wako...always has been drinking or not...but drinking does make it worse
Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

funny we were just talkin bout this at the f2f meeting last nite , i never did know the difference in sizes , which was what , it was easier to say the 5.99 the 8.99 or the 12.99 size .... laughts a self ...
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I get confused when people from the UK refer to units of alcohol, I have no idea what a unit is.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Oh man I think I am suffering from a mathmatical hangover!!! LOL
Old 10-21-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
I get confused when people from the UK refer to units of alcohol, I have no idea what a unit is.

I'm pretty sure they don't mean that term the way I've heard it commonly used
Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Being the alcoholic engineer that I am I find myuself laughing my arse off remembering sitting in college with a bunch of other geeks having these same discussions over 6 or 10 or 20 "pints" and well into a "fifth" of Jameson...

Thank you for the light topic, sobriety for me is a lot of laughs.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bodychek View Post
Being the alcoholic engineer that I am I find myuself laughing my arse off remembering sitting in college with a bunch of other geeks having these same discussions over 6 or 10 or 20 "pints" and well into a "fifth" of Jameson...

Thank you for the light topic, sobriety for me is a lot of laughs.

College, huh? That give me an idea, just to make sure everybody is clear about the subject. How's about an SR end of semester math test? Here goes...

Bobby books a flight from New York to London. At the airport he buys a fifth of vodka and a six pack of 275ml beers. Before the flight he drinks half the vodka and two of the beers.

Arriving in London he buys four pints of beer and drinks them with 6 oz's of whiskey. Upon leaving the bar he pukes up 2 oz's of whiskey and a litre of beer.

Feeling better for this, he polishes off 8 UNITS of alcohol before returning for his flight home.

The plane is diverted to Toronto and he buys 5 more 300ml bottles of beer which, apparently, is stronger and therefore contains more UNITS per measurement.

On the final stage home he sneaks in 3 oz's of vodka and a bottle of canadian beer.

On arrival at New York how much liquid is left?
Show all your workings, time limit 15 mins.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Depends, you count urine?

LMAO!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Ananda, your q about diabetes and rum. Self diagnosis.
I had pain in my legs while working both jobs and drinking. I noticed the pain was worse if I had liqour especially rum shots. I figured the pain was poor circulation, edema was beginning and the sugar highs all lead me to believe it was blood sugar related. I knew there were health concerns with my drinking and those were some of my signs. It was time to stop.

Now for the math challenge......
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Okay Timz,
I was rolling along with my math challenge and I hit the UNITS roadblock. I'm thinking UNIT = 17.7 ml
I'll try again, after my nap!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post

FYI, liqour stores charge more for the small bottles. I had customers that tried to control their daily intake by buying only a 1/2 pint a day. Say they paid $4 for that convenient size. They could have bought the pint for $6.

You pay for the convenience of the smaller size. Also, the smaller sizes were easier to hide.
I did that, would buy a half bottle of vodka a day during the week and a bottle a day on weekends and holidays.

Never would buy more than a half bottle cos I knew I couldn't work the next day and no way could I keep some.

Wasn't worried that it cost more.

Weekends, I'd often pour a litre of vodka into 2 half litre mineral water bottles as they were easier to hide !!!!!!!!!!!

Looking back, imagine if one of my kids had taken a swig of daddies water !!!!!!!!!!

Hey, hopefully we're moving onwards and upwards.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Okay Timz,
I was rolling along with my math challenge and I hit the UNITS roadblock. I'm thinking UNIT = 17.7 ml
I'll try again, after my nap!
To be honest with you, I don't know for sure myself. In the UK it's used as a guide for things like drink driving or safe weekly intake advice. It isn't used as a point-of-sale indication of liquid volume

For example, I think a standard measurement of wine counts as 2 units and a pint of regular beer is 2 units also. Medical guides state that women should not exceed 14 units per week and men should not exceed 21 units a week. The experts regard this as "safe drinking".

In short, the UNIT is for health guide purposes and if anything it is proportional to actual alcohol content.

Anyone else want to jump in with more insight?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Basically, a standard 75cl bottle of 14% wine is 10 units. A bottle of beer is 1.7. I went through a stage of calculating my units to try to keep within the recommended guidelines.

I thought I was doing really well, until I realised they meant 14 units a WEEK, not 14 a DAY! Seriously! Why even bother to drink!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
Basically, a standard 75cl bottle of 14% wine is 10 units. A bottle of beer is 1.7. I went through a stage of calculating my units to try to keep within the recommended guidelines.

I thought I was doing really well, until I realised they meant 14 units a WEEK, not 14 a DAY! Seriously! Why even bother to drink!
There again, not only is the UK term of units confusing, but what does cl, as in 75cl mean? I know the metric system and English system and I dont recognize cl.

*Oh cl is centiliter, my mistake.

Last edited by adore79; 10-21-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

"cl" is abbreviation for centilitre
"ml" is millilitre

(Latin)

cent = 100 so one cl is 100th of a litre
Again milli = 1000 so one ml is a 1000th of a litre

Other words derived from these... Century - 100 years, Millenium - 1000 years.

In fact the word "mile" as a measure of distance is derived from Roman soldiers counting 1000 steps to calculate distance.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Units is an indication of the alcohol strength. So it is supposed to be a measure of the drink's impact on your liver, how long it takes to metabolise etc. Indeed it is confusing. Suffice to say, it is a pathetically small amount that the UK government deems safe to drink.

Timzup, that is fascinating about the word "mile". I never knew that! How tedious, though, for the Roman soldiers involved. Terrible if you lost count at, say, 893 steps!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
that is fascinating about the word "mile". I never knew that! How tedious, though, for the Roman soldiers involved. Terrible if you lost count at, say, 893 steps!
Funny !!!!!

891...892....err... errr..... OH, SONUM DI BITCHUS !!!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

lol! I can just see that in an Asterix and Obelix book!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

On that subject.

How much alcohol do you think was in the magic potion ?

Maybe Obelix wasn't not allowed any cos he fell in the cauldren of potion as a baby as they like us to believe !!!! What if the cauldren story is really a cover for his alcoholism !!!!

Obelix, the lost years .

Would anyone else like to see the annoying wee Asterix get a hiding off the Romans just for once !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I've just remembered a joke, give me a minute till I get it right.