Notices

Class of July 2008 Part II

Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Jig

Hi Guys, I've been offline for a few days and I'm glad to be back.

Just thought I'd say congrats to everyone and lets keep this ball rolling.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Good Morning starting day 50 here
Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Way to go, cmhcali!!

I'm starting day 23 here!! Ten more days, one at a time, and I'll have beaten my record!

:ghug Big sober hugs for everyone!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone! :)

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
"While your sitting here at this meeting your disease is out in the parking lot doing push-ups" Thats a fact.
WOW! That is a very powerful statement...so true. Thank you for the reminder as I can see this in my own life...FOR SURE! WOW!

Originally Posted by toooldfratguy View Post
It was great to wake up both mornings feeling good and waking up early so we could enjoy our time there.
WHOO-HOO! That is awesome! I can relate to this statement so much!

Originally Posted by nayster View Post
Wow, that is an excellent point. My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer only 2 months ago - she's only 44. If it was as simple as 12 steps for her..... well... your post hit me like a ton of bricks too.
Me too! Makes me want to go out and run a marathon and be as healthy and strong as I am able! Speaking of which, how is the training going? I am off to a very slow start, but I'm not going to give up on my goal of running. Keep me posted! :)

Congrats to everyone on their progress! I am so grateful to all of you. I hope you are all having a great week so far! :)

~M

Last edited by BreakFree; 08-05-2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Oops! HTML error!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Thumbs up YAY! made it through last night

Well I guess I sent in my post a little too soon when I said "haven't gotten through dinner yet but it should be fine" or whatever I said.

But I want to tell you all that I DID NOT drink, even though my friend (who came over for dinner, and does'nt know I quit) brought over my FAVORITE wine, the expensive bottle that I never get to drink, and boy I looked at it and it was icy cold and I thought "geez can't I have just one glass???"

But I didn't! I didn't have one. I had water with lemon instead. and you know what??? I didn't die!! I didn't get so depressed I couldn't get out of bed! it was actually, OK!! and today, I feel good, great even for not drinking and proud of myself for being able to say no.

It made me realize that I want sobriety more than i want to pick up that drink!

Even if I would have drank one or two glasses last night, and that was all, I know what happens after that. Within the next few days or at least by that weekend, I will go on a big binge. AGAIN. for the umpteenth time.

How many times does one have to hit themselves in the head with a hammer before they stop and say, "uh, gee, this hurts! maybe I should stop doing it??"
So today is day 9. =) growing every day, getting stronger in every way, although slowly.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

thanks Time2surrender =) see my other post below when I said at the time ther was no wine in the house--a friend brought some later (like some weird kind of coincidence or just another example of me opening mouth inserting foot) which definitely gave me the opportunity, but I didn't drink.
day 9 now....
Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Good morning to all my family here at SoberRecovery. You guys have inspired me more than words can say. I completed my 4th step yesterday and woke up this morning with 24 days!!!!! Life is good. Today I have hope.
Originally Posted by winwin View Post
I hope to get as far as you Least. Day 2 is going OK after a couple of relapses. I do think it is getting easier.
You can do this. Hang in there.
Originally Posted by nobingealready View Post
thanks Time2surrender =) see my other post below when I said at the time ther was no wine in the house--a friend brought some later (like some weird kind of coincidence or just another example of me opening mouth inserting foot) which definitely gave me the opportunity, but I didn't drink.
day 9 now....
Im so glad to hear that. Im so proud of you. You are an inspiration to many newcomers here at SR. Thanks.
Originally Posted by cmhcali View Post
Mikey,

That really hit home your analogy. My sister died of cancer. I would do anything if the 12 steps could have saved her so you are right atleast I have a chance. I have actually been thinking about her a lot lately. I have never let go of the resentment I hold for not being with her as much as I could have been when she was dying. I still do not know if I can write her name on my fourth step list. Would I resent myself and write my name or hers and how I resent myself for being so selfish. I should have been there everyday.. Sorry to go on a tangent. I should have been there everyday...

So that analogy is something I must always remember.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice and being supportive and helping me stay sober!!!
I shared the same story at an NA meeting last night. They loved it. We all have a chance to live. Working some steps seems like a small price for something that can save ones life and be so rewarding. My condolances on your sister. Perhaps she would like to know your working the steps that can save your life.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Great job!! There will be many "tests" such as last night, but you won!!

Well I guess I sent in my post a little too soon when I said "haven't gotten through dinner yet but it should be fine" or whatever I said.

But I want to tell you all that I DID NOT drink, even though my friend (who came over for dinner, and does'nt know I quit) brought over my FAVORITE wine, the expensive bottle that I never get to drink, and boy I looked at it and it was icy cold and I thought "geez can't I have just one glass???"

But I didn't! I didn't have one. I had water with lemon instead. and you know what??? I didn't die!! I didn't get so depressed I couldn't get out of bed! it was actually, OK!! and today, I feel good, great even for not drinking and proud of myself for being able to say no.

Even if I would have drank one or two glasses last night, and that was all, I know what happens after that. Within the next few days or at least by that weekend, I will go on a big binge. AGAIN. for the umpteenth time.

How many times does one have to hit themselves in the head with a hammer before they stop and say, "uh, gee, this hurts! maybe I should stop doing it??"
So today is day 9. =) growing every day, getting stronger in every way, although slowly.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

An inspiring song for me

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HdGUNm6-qI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HdGUNm6-qI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Cool Since were jammin now...........

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ea_iZ3NfwSU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ea_iZ3NfwSU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Just wanted to post a thought for the day that helped me from an AA Book as I know I am still selfish and want to control everything. I believe this is from Daily Reflections

LISTENING DEEPLY
August 5, 2008
How persistently we claim the right to decide all by ourselves just what we shall think and just how we shall act. TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 37

If I accept and act upon the advice of those who have made the program work for themselves, I have a chance to outgrow the limits of the past. Some problems will shrink to nothingness, while others may require patient, well-thought-out action. Listening deeply when others share can develop intuition in handling problems which arise unexpectedly. It is usually best for me to avoid impetuous action. Attending a meeting or calling a fellow A.A. member will usually reduce tension enough to bring relief to a desperate sufferer like me. Sharing problems at meetings with other alcoholics to whom I can relate, or privately with my sponsor, can change aspects of the positions in which I find myself. Character defects are identified and I begin to see how they work against me. When I put my faith in the spiritual power of the program, when I trust others to teach me what I need to do to have a better life, I find that I can trust myself to do what is necessary.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

That's the key!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Looks like it was slow here today. I guess we are all getting busy with life. We just rented a couple movies so catch ya later. Good night.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In about an hour I'll be starting my 24th day sober!!

Congratulations to everybody on their sober time, and for those who've slipped, get back up on the wagon!

Hey! Where is everybody??
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Still here and sober.Feel utterly ambivilant about it though-but sometimes it's like that.It'll pass.

About to go make dinner.See you all tomorrow!

Julesxox
Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

You're doing so well Least. You're my inspiration. Keep going. Keep going!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:35 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I'm here Least... also ending my day 23 and will be starting 24 in the morning. Still sober. (Just exhausted, had a crazy day).

Goodnight everyone... congrats to all who stayed sober!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=nobingealready;1859241]

QUOTE]

nobinge......You nailed it! Good post! You just gave me great ammo for the next time I'm tempted to just have only a drink or two.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:00 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=joinedintime;1860246]

QUOTE]

nobinge......You nailed it! Good post! You just gave me great ammo for the next time I'm tempted to just have only a drink or two.
After having 2 1/2 years, I got loaded ONE time last September.............. For Nine Months!!!!!! I was convinced I could go out for one night. I really believed that. Any minute now I will be on day 25. And I am frateful for day 25 and grateful for making it back. Many dont.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules62 View Post
Feel utterly ambivilant about it though

Julesxox
Hi all, I haven't posted for a few days but still here and still sober. I think Jules' quote above descibes how I have been feeling pretty much.

I have been having quite alot of craves again and they are begining to take their toll.

Sax (day 34)