Notices

I am quitting today_please check in.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

the rest of my post by the way was "I dunno... but I find it a big help to have a group of people with whom I share and keep track (of)". This is such serious stuff and I find many threads become so chatty that I stop looking.

A grumpy attitude, maybe, but it helps me to keep focussed on the problem we all share, if we have a thread which is only about how we stay sober each day.

Thanks for your companionship, all of you, and your help,
Alyce
Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Soooo.... let's add:

Alyce14
Gottaquit
Aldo1980
sobersilly
el ka bong
txar
Hevyn

You are the people I consider (on this thread) in my boat. I am finding it very helpful to know that there are people very new to being sober.

The other boat, the one we would like to get to, is populated so far by:
CarolD
Skunkape
Octoman
Misslisa
1_day@_a_time
Chynita
Astro
Mike_mass
ard_vark
MissyMae

Hi Missy!

Alyce
Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by el ka bong View Post
Yay! day 5 I made it through all the Friday evening invites to come "party". Mainly, I think because of this forum.Now let's get through Saturday victorious!
I know what it's like: weekends are difficult for me too.
I'm on Day 6 today. I haven't been out much during the past 6 days. I'm unemployed at the moment, so I'm not in much contact with other people. I only go out for half hour each day just to buy ciggys. Sometimes I feel more alone and diffrent if I'm around people. I'm usually ok staying at home all alone, it doesn't bother me too much.
I went out for a while last night. Staying away from the drink wasn't too difficult. But without any alcohol going down my oesophagus I felt really uncomfortable being around people. If they're people I know it's not too bad, but if they're strangers I get really weird. I don't think I'll be going out for quite a few days now.
I hope you're Saturday's going ok. I was on the edge this morning and although my present life circumstances haven't improved since this morning (it would be ridiculous to expect that after 7 months of reckless behaviour I could expect for things to get better all in 6 days!) I'm not feeling so miserable now.
Good luck.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Aldo

Soooo.... let's add:

Aldo1980
Alyce14
Gottaquit
Aldo1980
sobersilly
el ka bong
txar
Hevyn

You are the people I consider (on this thread) in my boat. I am finding it very helpful to know that there are people very new to being sober.

The other boat, the one we would like to get to, is populated so far by:
CarolD
Skunkape
Octoman
Misslisa
1_day@_a_time
Chynita
Astro
Mike_mass
ard_vark
MissyMae

Alyce
Old 09-29-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Aldo1980, I'm in about the same boat. Last night was tough...I dreamed about a refrigerator full of cold beer ....lol. But even in my dream I didn't touch it..seems like I ended up eating a salad...lol!

One of by best friends called me at about 8p.m. said he had a cooler full and a campfire...wanted me to load up my guitar and come over.We have "picking and grinning" every weekend for nearly 3 years. One of the first things he asked me was if I was still "drying out".He'll be calling again here in a little while.

He's a good friend. We met through our guitars and had drinking in common.
I hope my music is enough...I'll drink with him,but,I'll be drinking bottled water.
I don't want to just shutout this friend. I don't want this friendship to be another victim of alcohol.

I really don't know how to deal with this problem.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know, ekb, sometimes it just seems like we're losing everything and that's one of the things that makes it so hard. If we could just lose the poison and keep our friends, places we loved to go, etc. I guess we all have to work it out for ourselves, what to keep and what to throw away. This is very hard work.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

hi EKB,

Tell your friend just what you've said here. :-)
Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Checking in for the day (still day one)

Thanks to all my friends, and hope we keep getting to know one another well. Esp. thanks to Hevyn for the vote of confidence to keep this thread focussed on the struggle.

Still struggling:
Aldo1980
Alyce14
Gottaquit
Aldo1980
sobersilly
el ka bong
txar
Hevyn

And here are the people who seem to have a handle on this:
CarolD
Skunkape
Octoman
Misslisa
1_day@_a_time
Chynita
Astro
Mike_mass
ard_vark
MissyMae
Melotmamma, hi...

(oh yes I do/did love merlot)

Tough day for me-I am really going to try to do this today. Monday will be so much better if I can get through today sober,

Alyce

By the way, edit all you want...
Old 09-30-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
let it grow!

sending you support today - one day at a time! hugs, k
Old 09-30-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Thanks alyce for thinking I have a handle on this.
But I dont think none of us really ever do.
I struggle every day with urges and the will to not hop in my truck and ride to the hood.
It is very hard somedays.
And somedays it is an all day process to get myself not to go.
But I am flattered you think so.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Made it through the dreaded Saturday! It was kinda tough for me,but,I feel good today.I hope everybody else is making it o.k. I read in one of the post about taking it in one or five min. increments. That's what I had to do a lot yesterday. It got me through. Thanks
Old 09-30-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
I tried out of curiosity earlier to watch intervention on demand and it wont play.

Hey Chiy! Is that a website (if so, can I have the link?) or is it a tv show?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

"the rest of my post by the way was "I dunno... but I find it a big help to have a group of people with whom I share and keep track (of). This is such serious stuff and I find many threads become so chatty that I stop looking."

A grumpy attitude, maybe, but it helps me to keep focussed on the problem we all share, if we have a thread which is only about how we stay sober each day.

Thanks for your companionship, all of you, and your help,
Alyce
"

Just open the threads that you think will help you. OMG there are sooo many great sections in this site.

I would be on your struggling list.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well, I made it through a wedding and reception last night. I wasn't sure if there would be alcohol there or not so I was nervous about being tempted if there was. There was alcohol, but for some reason the craving wasn't that bad. My husband and I were with my inlaws and they don't drink at all so I think that helped too. But....my worst craving yet was tonight. We cookout a lot when the weather is nice and I would drink while we were cooking out and playing with the kids etc. Well, tonight my craving was really strong as I was sitting there on the patio, enjoying the 'cool' weather (it was under 90 degrees) and smelling the BBQ. Since my husband was here I knew I wouldn't drink, but I REALLY wanted a glass of wine.

As of tonight I have 9 days without a drink!! I hope you all had a great weekend and Happy Monday tomorrow!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

We can do this together!

The only day I have is Today. It is truly one day at a time for me. I can't think about tomorrow, all I can do is right now this moment. It's a struggle.

I'm here with all of you~
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I have revised this thread to list those of us for whom I think it is a still a daily battle to quit, or to stay that way. I find it really helps me to hear from my companions-the ones of us who are on a daily basis trying to stay/get sober. Please feel free to add or change your name on this list.

I have been as desperate as one can be dealing with addiction (suicidal, had I not found this site 5 or so years ago) and I have had long periods of sobriety where I felt nothing could ever make me drink again. But it has happened and there comes the old cycle again, so this has become my support group.

My own update:
I got through yesterday with no drinking except my kahlua/coffee wakeup. Don't take much credit for that as yesterday was full of busy-ness, and I have an assortment of pain pills, so that is what helped, if you can call it help.

Today I have to travel a bit for work, and I am going to try to ditch the alcohol completely, and cut down slowly on the pain stuff. I never thought I would go there but the "yets" got me.

So in short, so far, so good (plain coffee) and no pills yet.

Teej, I happy to add you to the struggling list (happy is the wrong word, but you know what I mean.
Txsar, I am glad you are doing well-it is so easy to scarf glasses at weddings.
Hope, I know you have had some pretty wild swings; I am so glad you are on this thread. Your honesty has always been a help.
El ka bong-I am going to keep your "5 minutes at a time" in mind today.
Parent, thanks so much for the encouragement.

To all of you who are weighing in with support and encouragement, thank you, thank you. I had 12+years once and would have sworn this da**ed problem would never get me again.

Still struggling list:
Aldo1980
Alyce14
Gottaquit
Aldo1980
sobersilly
el ka bong
txar
Hevyn
teej
Chynita
Hope4Life
Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey Alyce!! You sound very determined and I admire that! I am not sure which list I belong on, I have almost 4 months, and I no longer struggle with daily urges. It gets better day by day. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alyce14 View Post
Still struggling list:
Aldo1980
Alyce14
Gottaquit
Aldo1980
sobersilly
el ka bong
txar
Hevyn
teej
Chynita
Hope4Life
I must be struggling then if you've got me down twice on the list!! :kidding:
Seriously, I don't think I'm struggling with the actual drink. What does make me feel uncomfortable are my financial problems; the social issues; and the bordom.
I havn't really contemplated having a drink in quite a few days now.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by teej View Post
Hey Chiy! Is that a website (if so, can I have the link?) or is it a tv show?
It is a show on A&E on Friday night. If you dont want to see people using than I suggest you dont watch it. It is very graphic. I cant watch it. Although I would like to because I feel if I cant get high..I can watch someone else do it. NOT!! That show has triggered me into relapse many times. I think it is more hurtful than helpful. But that is just my opinion.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi yall. great thread you have started here.

I am fairly new to recovery (this time) and have a little over 8 months clean and sober. I am struggling. I just want to escape my feelings. The obsession to drink and use is worse than when I first sobered up. But I am not going to drink or use today. That is all any of us have.

Lets all hang in here together. WE can do it. I (alone) get messed up