Notices

I am quitting today_please check in.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Alyce, listen to GottaQuit. She's right. You've got to replace that coffee with orange juice and cookies or something.
I hope you have a nice day, without alcohol!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hello, sorry I haven't posted in a while. It's been a busy couple of weeks with family birthdays. I haven't had a drink in 13 days. The last few days have been a little tough. There have been some instances where the cravings were really strong. I'm finding I'm eating more to fill the void which I know is not the right thing to do, but it is what it is. The last few days I have cried 3 or 4 times!!! Not sure why...One time was watching a tv show and the others were just when I was feeling a little overwhelmed. It could be PMS though too or maybe a combination. It's just weird because I haven't cried in a long time. I became a little numb to what was going on around me in my life so maybe as others have said I'm beginning to 'feel' a little more.

I'm thankful that I haven't been drinking because both of my kids had a stomach virus over the weekend. I'm thankful that I was able to stay up with them and help them get through the night. Otherwise I may have slept right through it.

Alyce, I know you can do it! You will feel so much better when you do. Right before I made the decision to quit (about a week or 2 before) I was just so angry. I was yelling at everyone! I was angry because I wanted to quit but at the same time I didn't want to quit. I wanted to be able to enjoy a glass of wine (or 2 or 3 or more) on my patio in the evenings or at the end of the day when I'd had a long day with the kids. But I knew I had to quit because the risk to continue to drink was too high for me to take. When I finally actually made the decision, I felt like a ton of bricks were lifted from my shoulders. I felt so relieved. It hasn't been easy especially the last few days. But it's been worth it.

I hope you have a great day and weekend!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by txsar View Post
I'm finding I'm eating more to fill the void which I know is not the right thing to do, but it is what it is.
Hi! Congratulations on your 13 Days! Keep on going. You're an inspiration for me. I'm on Day 12 (I think. I've lost count actually!)
I know what the eating thing is about. I can't stop eating!!
Have a nice day.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I'm on my 11th day.I seem to be eating more too! I think,in my case,is that I'm actually eating like a human being should.When I was drinking,I would sometimes go all day with out a meal.
My wife would tell me to eat and I'd tell her I already had several "pork chops in a can".
ie
Aylce14....Keep posting and reading.I have found that bottled water helps me to pacify my need to constantly be chugging away.Day 3 & 4 were the toughest on me. Then I got to feeling fairly good for a while. Day 10 and today were/are kinda tough, but, now I know the taste of a victorious day and it kinda makes me sick to my stomach to even seriously consider taking another drink.
During the first few days,even as recently as this morning, my mind has tried to trick me.I fantasize about just being a "social " drinker and what not.I look at it as lying to myself and I can't stand a liar. I am a pretty stubborn and competitive person so I turn that thought into resolve.I look at it as a battle against alcohol and every minute that I don't succumb to those lies and challenges is a victory. I will not accept defeat.

I believe in you
Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober But Struggling

That's great el ka bong.
I'm right behind you and have gotten through my 8th day.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober But Struggling

Good Morning All.
Starting my 9th day sober.
Wish me luck and good luck to you.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Well, I feel really whoozy today, but so far so good. I wish everyone would be gone and I could watch TV....

However, we have social committments for tonight, so I had better get my head in gear.

Thank you all for the support; this may be the beginning of change for the better.

Alyce

Gottaquit: thanks so much for trying to get to me before i did damage yesterday. It didn't work but was on my mind.

Aldo, how do we play chess?

el ka bong: "I believe in you" means a lot to me, thanks.

Txsar, what can I say. I am so glad you are doing well.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Ok I am trying to remember why I really like being sober rather than drunk.

To you my friends, I am declaring that I have had my last drink.

Somehow, that seems comforting....

Alyce
Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey gang where are you??? I am as self centered as can be right now....
Old 10-06-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Aylice, I'll tell you a couple of things that I like about being sober: 1: My wife made the comment about a week ago that I smelled better..lol! 2: I feel at least 5 years younger and my wife also commented that I was looking a lot younger. That I was getting my color back and didn't look so washed out!
Old 10-06-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober But Struggling

Hi Alyce, Nice to see you.
I had work today. It went well, In the past on Saturdays, I would always go on my lunch break and buy a bottle and as soon as I would get out of work or sometimes even during my lunch break I would get liquored up and always come home drunk. Didn't do that this time. And today especially it is a lot different. Because, I would really look forward to coming home when I knew everyone else in the house had made plans and that I would come home to an empty house.
I got an empty house and I do believe I have the strength to stay put and not go out for a bottle.
They all went up to my in-laws house to celebrate my sister-in-laws birthday.
I could actually drive up and catch the last part of the party. But, I am tired and I think that even though I am being selfish and not feeling like driving up. It will mean a lot to my husband and the kids to know that I did not buy a bottle today.
I think they will be able to tell. But, If they don't, At least I know.
I also know I will feel much better tomorrow knowing that I didn't go get a bottle.

But, I still feel kind of bad for not feeling like going up.

Anyway, Back to you Alyce14, I saw that you said you were not going to have anymore drinks earlier today. That's great. Keep posting and keep reading.
gottaquit
Old 10-06-2007, 03:09 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Sober But Struggling

I just thought of something. Speaking of birthdays. My husbands birthday is Oct. 27. If I stay sober until my husbands birthday, That will be 30 days for me.
He will be very glad of that.

I know (One Day At A Time) But, I like to at least dream of goals.
I'll still plug away at the days and hope I make it til then.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi Alyce, how are you doing today? I just saw your post saying you had had your last drink. That is great!!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

gottaquit, That would be a wonderful birthday present!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

i see everyone here is new like me, lol. alyce14, el ka bong, txsar, gottaquit, aldo1980, hope you all wake up with a clear head. i am too sick still in withdrawal to even think about drinking or taking a drug. i'm lucky i got out alive this time! angie
Old 10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

yea angibaby .We have a good handful of people that stopped at about the same time.I haven't been that sick,but, I have been having some terrible mood swings the last couple of days.My biggest problem has been trying to deal with the loneliness and boredom. My friends act like I'm contagious or disabled sometimes.
Don't get me wrong,they are supportive,but,one of my friends apologized for mentioning the fact that he sure could use a beer....
Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey Alyce, I just logged in tonight. Unfortunately, I haven't been great on staying sober either. I was suffering from a really bad hangover today. I am so pissed at myself. I can go for a day, maybe two and then I do it again. I *wish* I didn't do this.

I am sober tonight, still have a bad stomach ache and feeling shaky.

I drink at night, home alone. It sucks. Its not a happy thing at all. Its a major embarrassement.

I did try the antabuse, and I can tell you it does not work. It made my heart race, but I was too afraid to take it, so I stopped.

I feel like I should be stronger than this. I don't know why I can't control this the way I want to. I wish I was just normal, and could drink a little bit and not have it be a problem.

I am going to try again. Starting today. I have to break the cycle somehow. :sweat

One of the bad side affects of not drinking is that I can't sleep. It doesn't help.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 1...again

ok, this is day one for me...again. i have "quit" 25 times in the last 10 months. I had almost 3 years sobriety and relapsed in January while trying to finish my BS degree. I am 44 years old. I sit here feeling so hopeless. I have almost no sober friends. I avoid AA, I dont even understand why. I think I'm afraid to be sober. I have severe depression and anxiety. I am deep into my pitty pot. Why does everything have to be so hard? I yearn for a better life. I want to get out of this hole I am in. I cant even get honest with my hubby who surely knows I have been drinking although he doesnt come out and say it. I feel like he will think I am a failure, like I think I am a failure. Anyway...Today is day 1, Sunday October 7, 2007.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

sobersilly:

I have never been on antabuse, but except for that..your story is exactly my story. Drinking alone, at night. skip a few nights and back at it. Maybe we can support each other!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Up early, aren't we? funny how drinking destroys all your sleep patterns. I would love to wake up like I have in the past, at about 7:30, still sleepy and wishing I had a couple of more hours but knowing that I had to get moving because I had an exciting busy day ahead of me.

The last few months have been a nghtmare (literally, too). Fitless sleep, middle of the night pills to get back to oblivion, 2 more hours of restless sleep, and then the inevitable wide awake at way too early. Thank goodness for SR.