Notices

Any Moms Out There Keeping Sane While Not Using Part 11

Old 01-22-2007, 09:50 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Desperate - if you are still debating staying or going, you may want to look into alanon. The advise offered you here is great, read all you can and try to think clearly. I am sorry you are in this situation.

Codi - OMG! I am so sorry, poor kiddo, poor mama! My oldest had major ear problems, I could not imagine if we could not have gotten her seen with all her burst ear drums. She did get the tubes, by the way, and it has been a life saver for us all.

Beezy, you ok? Family driving you nuts? I swear, I think someone replaced my kids with energy sucking monsters today.

Ayla, I am so glad she is ok. How could you not panic? I would have flipped. My oldest fell from her crib head first on a hard floor, and I remember that moment of silence. Then she started screaming, then her eyes rolled up in her head and she started to fall alseep. I totally lost it. And you've had something so much more dramatic happen! I am so glad she is ok.
And, yup, totally up for beating up that nurse. What a TERRIBLE thing to say!

I am so flipping tired ya'll. It has been insane lately. My oldest, 9.5 years, is major adhd. That's why she is homeschooled right now. She got put with a terrible teacher, adhd nightmare. I could not get her transfered and was litterally watching her slip between the cracks of the public school system. Well, she's been on a few different meds, her choice to begin with (she started taking meds in 1st grade). I am so tired, so I am sure I'll spell everything wrong. She was on ritilan for a while, but they increased her night terrors dramatically as well as her sleep walking. Then, the pills would sort of start to taper off andby the end of the night she'd be wired out again, and they started to cause depression and lethargy. Well ... those went out. We tried diet change, schedule, etc. etc. etc. again. She lost control, we decided to try a ned med. This time stratera. Worked very well for a while. A few months ago I started to notice it wasn't working so great, and starting trying to up the dose (she was on a min. starting dose) Well, one thing or another kept happening and that dose change didn't happen. Good thing, because that was not waht she needed. I think this is new, according to her father it is, and I hope I didn't miss it when drinking ... but she really started to go down hill on those meds. She's have major emotional upheavals, and then would self harm. Nothing perm. or even long lasting, but was on her way. She'd pull her out (not out, just pull it, pretty hard too), hit herself in the head, scratch her face (no cuts), and basically act like an over tired out of control 3 year old.
I took he roff the meds, and those fits have gone. Then I called and had he rput into therepy. I really like the therepist, and am ready to be started on it.

In the mean time, she's not on anything. The thought it that there is some underlining thing happening w./ the adhd, and that is why meds thus far have been exasperating the issue. She has an appt. for evaluation, but not until mid-late Feb! And, while she is not acting out like the meds had her, she is freaking out of control. Please know, I am not one of those mothers who dupes the kid up because I dont want to deal with kid energy. I mean, she is OUT OF CONTROL! It's insane, and I honestly dont know how much I can take. Not going to drink, and have been really talking with my sponsor about this. But OMG, I am going crazy. Several full blown melt downs a day, screaming, crying, begging, pleading, running away, crawling under furniture to hide while she screams. She is beyond hyper. I try to get her out as much as I can, but honestly, none of us could even beginto keep up with her. And the more tired she gets, the worse the hyperness and irritability becomes. She's addicted to the TV, something I have worked very hard on, just 2-3 hours a day now. But she used to cry if away more then like 1 hour. That addiction is coming back full force, and she is getting the other kids so riled up they are coming out of their skin. The sibling fighting has reached a new high.
I am finding myself constantly regretting something, feeling like a bad parent, feeling overwhelmed ... basically felling JUST LIKE I DID WHEN I DRANK only, with OUT drinking. That same guilt ... just because I can't do it. I just am at my wits end.
Homeschooling has become a total nightmare. I am going to have to call her teacher advisor and get more back up, because this isn't working. I almost want to stick her back in school, but know that would be worse.
I feel so bad, but honestly, I am going nuts. It's monday, and I am already counting down to Sun when she goes to her dads. Right down to being thoroughly embaressed just taking her out into the world.

Wow, that was long, huh? I am so tired my eyes feel like sand. I hope it reads ok. Doesn't matter, I just needed to purge. I need to sleep while I can. She gets up at night sometimes as often as the baby (who's sprouting teeth like crazy!)

Oh, and ... get this ... I revealed to some people that I am an alcoholic, and that I am in recovery. 2 of them will no longer speak to me. Becaus eof that word, alcoholic. F-ing narrow minded people.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

brandi, i swear we could be twins
my oldest is bipolar, adhd, ocd, among other things. i go through the same things constantly, as well as horrible verbal abuse. she has been hospitalized numerous times, and is very physically abusive to the younger children. it is truly, truly horrible. i see jonathan becoming the same way, which really hurts.
she has been on adderall and clonidine for the longest...i am also waiting on a psyche appt to get her meds changed, and get some very intensive therapy for her and jon both
if you ever want to talk, let me know, i can so totally relate
Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
Been crazy busy again with kid birthday parties and work and computer issues to boot. Was hoping to read through but my eyes are burning from computer work all day. Will try to check in tomorrow.

Gosh I've missed you all!

Big Hugs,
C
Old 01-23-2007, 12:35 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

((((Codi and Ayla))))) prayers for your little ones.

(((((beezy))))) what's up with the family? Can you post it and get it out of your head or did you call someone yesterday and unload? No need to let it fester. That's just poison!

jen, glad to hear the "AA camp" went well. 50 years??? Whew!

Desperate, welcome to our little collection of mommies. Codi gave you an amazing answer right off the bat. I'm not sure I can add a whole lot more. The key thing you'll probably hear over and over is that you didn't cause it and you can't cure it. Searching for just the right thing to say will be fruitless since there is NOTHING you can say that is guaranteed to work the way you want it. My husband simply told me I was smelling really badly and he could hardly sleep at night (hows that for bedroom talk? lol). He looked up some stuff on the internet and connected alcohol abuse to body odor and thought maybe my liver was beginning to malfunction. That was all it took for me to want to get going on the straight line (not to say it was easy, but it made me want it). Some folks are deeper into denial and don't even realize they're falling and some folks are further down the "slippery slope" and have a harder time stopping the progression. Some of those folks have to hit a really low, hard bottom before WANTING to get better. Before he wants it for himself (sorry, doing it for you or your child won't work) he just won't get better. I urge you to talk to others who have been in your position and take a hard, but loving stand. You MUST do what's right for you. Good luck and my prayers are with you.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:20 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by BrandiK View Post
Steve - Don't quit know how to say this, but I am gonna and hope I do not make you uncomfortable.

I love that you post here, and I love that you are so proud and in love with your grandbaby. You look a great deal like my own father. He's been mostly absent the majority of my life. He has seen my oldest girl, about 5 years ago. He's not seen even a picture of my other girls, and has never asked to either. He's stopped calling twice a year (christmas and birthday) and I know someday he'll be gone, and I'll probably never know.

Watching you, with all your different pictures of you and her, and how much you talk about her and your daughter, I just can't even begin to tell you how wonderful that makes me feel. So, I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for being such a wonderful and healing man. You have given me a great gift just in your love for your family.

Ok ... sap moment over.
Good morning Brandi...

I take that as a compliment, Thank you...

I don't know if you have ever read my story, but I was never there for Rinnie's Mom. Sure, I was in the same household and supported her and her Mom monitarily, but that was it. I was never there for any of her school activities or any kind of love or moral support. I was to self centered and worried about where my next buzz was coming from. This went on her whole childhood and into her adult life...

The strange thing is, she never turned her back on me like I did on her. She always loved me unconditionally and without question. She is truly a very special and loving young lady. She is much wiser and more mature than I will ever be. When I found out she was going to make me a Grandfather, I decided right then and there that I was gonna change. I was never ever gonna let Rinnie down like I did her Mom. I'm gonna make her proud of me. I'm gonna take an interest in her school activities and everything in her life. I fell like I've been reborn and given a second chance and I'm definitely not gonna blow it this time...

Brandi, I'm sorry your Dad is not in your or your childrens life, that is so sad...

Thanks again for thinking about me. It really means a lot to me.

Steve (Rinnie's very proud and loving Grandpa)

PS... I couldn't get this photo to rotate.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:20 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hi desperate,

I think was more my daughter than my husband that said things about my drinking and mking reerence to events where i was drunk. She's only nine, but by 7 she was the one person I couldn't hide it from, it was tearing her apart.
Good luck with hubby, In hope it doesn't have to come down to you leaving
Old 01-23-2007, 04:24 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Good morning Mom's...

Here's my "Little Love"...

Have a GREAT day ladies.

Rinnie's Grandpa
Old 01-23-2007, 04:36 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

brandi, having been on both sides of addiction, i can tell you that everyone here is totally right......sadly, staying, leaving, crying, screaming, telling him how much you are hurting, or showing him, until he is ready to admit he has a problem, nothing anyone says will change him......and those who did hear the right thing to stop.....well, it was the right time for them.....they probably were thinking of stopping already, and just needed a little boost......i wish i had happier advice for you......but we would be happy, as i've said, to share our experiences with you and support you in any decisions you make........we all know we hurt loved ones with our addictions, and many of have been hurt by addiction as well....keep posting.....

brandi, misti......i'm so sorry you are going through all of this.....my good friend cynthia is going through the same thing with her boy, she is fortunate enough, that although she is a single mother, she has a great job and excellent insurance....and although james's father is absent, his family is very involved in both of their lives, his grandpa is a doctor, so he is exposed to the best therapy, and care.......she is also one of those mothers who was very against medicating children....until she had her little bundle of rotten energy.....and because of her connection with his family, she is in one of the very best school districts in ohio.....(wealthy neighborhood, lots of funding....indoor pool in the elementary school)...and they are incredibly sympathetic and work very hard with her and james individually.....she is very lucky, and at 6, they seem to have the problem in hand, for now......but she used to call me every night in tears because it was just too much....her poor 6 year old son was suicidal....i really feel for you, i have always had so much trouble with chase...mostly it's a serious attitude problem, and he still has huge tantrums at 10......i always put it down to emotional problems, and a manipulative mentality, because i have never once had a problem with him in school, or in public.....and i can send him to someone else's house and he is an angel.....but as soon as mike and i are together, he turns into a monster.....i'm sure we could benefit from family counselling....but right now, things are getting better, and we are just trying to be supportive and consistant..........

beezy, what's going on???? please call me.....we all have times when we are at the end of our rope..........and you know i love to listen to you, even when you are angry......you're my beezylou and i want you to reach out to me when you're feeling this way, please...........((((((beezy))))))

OMG, it's FREEZING here....my hands are like ice.....this place is old and drafty.......not used to the wintry weather yet, i guess....

just wanted to say good morning, and for being here for me every day...

you are all like, totally....

HEHE

and i want you to know that each and every day....

i'm going to post lots of my favorite boops....hope you don't mind, but i have over a 1,000 collected already, and i want to share them with you, or what's the use??? besides, they are too pretty to sit in my files......

btw, who is the shopaholic among us???? i forget....
Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

WTF, I am in the shower this morning and my shampoo and conditioner is MIA... I ssem to remember someone else having this problem....

Any way I have to get out of the shower brrrrrrrr and drip all the way downstairs to get it from my daughters' bathroom.... Ugh .... The know they are only suposed to use the cheap stuff... they go through almost a bottle a week.

anyway good morning all, lot to do today....
Old 01-23-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

steve, You are giving your daughter an incredible gift right now in her life. And if she didn't go through hell with you, she wouldn't be able to appreciate it nearly as much today. Just keep staying sober and healthy for yourself so that you can be the best you can be.

what adorable pics. thanks for posting them here.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

codi, sorry to hear about your little guy, i will be thinking about him and sending him feel better wishes!! thank goodness he has you!

brandi/misti, i don't know anything about the emotional issues you two are dealing with w/your children but it sounds very difficult. brandi hang in there hopefully soon they will find answers to what is going on.

steve- welcome back, rinnie sure is a cutie, you are giving me a bit of baby fever over here. She is a lucky girl to have you as a grandpa! and it is never too late to "be there" for your daughter, as a 33 yr. old self proclaimed daddy's girl i can tell you I love doing dad/daughter stuff still.

wow kids ate breakfast and still quiet..

beezy hang in there girl.. .. whoever said you need to let it out is right, via posting or talking just don't hold on to it and let it fester.

desperate you have rec'd some good advice here. you should really try alanon, its a lot about distinguishing the disease from the person. you can't stop him b/c its the disease that is in control not the man you know, he prob feels as helpless against the disease as you do.
they talk about love the person hate the disease...
only you know what you are willing to live with and what price makes it worth it for you and your family... good luck.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Old 01-23-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Shopaholic?...uh, I'm afraid that would be me! But I'm slowly recovering there too! In the past month I've only bought 1 new sweater, 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of shoes. Sad to say back in the good ole days that would have been a one hour purchase, not a one month....
Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Ayla, I'm so glad Miss Sophie is ok. My cheetah took a pretty nasty blow to the head last night while cheerleading. Kept a close eye on her all night, but she's ok...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

steve, c'est is very wise, and took the words right out of my mouth......she loves you because you're her dad, and she sounds like a wonderful, strong woman.......don't regret the past......you can't change it and it's a waste of energy......just learn from it and move on to be the amazing, loving man you are today.........besides, if you could change things, your daughter would be a different person.....if you change one thing you have to change everything....and it sounds to me like your past only served to make her a strong, amazing woman and mother.....and i'm sure you wouldn't change that.....

rinnie boop.....

beezy the salty surfer boop......

more boops to come, and no one can stop me....

by the way, i had the most horrible dream, my dad was killed by a bookie he had a gambling debt with......and in my dream i came here and got support from you........
Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hey, Ig...got my Manning jersey laundered and ready to go! It will be in the mail within the next few days.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Thanks so much for the kind words ladies...

It does me good to hear that. I do have deep regrets but I'm feeling better about myself with each passing day...

I hope each one of you realizes how important you are being clean and sober in your childrens lives. I'm telling you from experience. All you ladies are young and have young children. It means more to them that you will ever know taking a loving interest in them. You will never, ever regret it. I'm glad your not waiting until your in your 50's like I did to start being responsible parents to them...

Thanks for being here for me...

Have a Strong and Positive day.

Steve

Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I like the concept that you mentioned, Ayla. I often think about which point in my life I want to change, but if I change one little thing, then who knows what I'd be like. There's a movie like that. Is it the Butterfly Effect? You just can't assume that things will turn out better. I could have been the scientist who discovered the cause of certain cancers or I could have killed my family in a drugged up rage. shivers!!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Searching for moments of peace

I wanted to pop in and say hello. I'm doing fine, am just slammed with projects. Plus, I like to read before I post, but I have missed a ton. I'll try to catch up soon. You're all in my thoughts.

XOXO
Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

yes, you can't change the past, and there are very few things that i would change......who knows what would happen??? if you think about it, each choice we make and each event in our lives, even the mundane ones, serve to bring us, and countless others to the place we are today.......just think, if you smile at a man who is having a horrible day, and give him a kind word, you could change his mood, and maybe instead of going home and being grumpy and taking it out on his family, maybe he goes home in a good mood and kisses his wife, plays with his children....which, in turn, could change them in some small way............life, and this world is just a series of chain reactions, and the more positive energy you put out there, the more will come back to you..........

ruby the shopaholic boop....

at least this time the ruby has some clothes on.....hehe......