Notices

Any moms out there keeping sane while not using - Part 4

Old 11-30-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

sleeting and 30 degrees here, unfortunately
Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hang in there honey..I sent you an email....I wish I was closer I would put washcloths on your head and take care of you and the babies...If you are getting this storm that I am getting tomorrow...stock up...It is nasty ...windy and sleeting...since 5 am....now we are just waiting for the snow. Temp keeps droping...
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

yikes--this thread is hopping.

i hope everyone and their kids is feeling better--emotionally, spiritually and physically.

FRED? did i miss her? must be on the part 2 of this thread...? I've been wondering about her...and german69 too. yes, we ladies do keep tags on each other.

ok...talk about dorks. if i wasn't before, i sealed the deal yesterday. it's official: i am getting appliances for Christmas. and--the kicker--i am truly excited about it!

unbelievable. i really have become a stereotype that i used to mock. soccer mom. minivan. and now, the thrill of a new washer and dryer!

goofy as it may seem, i am really happy because i must do 12-14 loads of laundry a week and my machines were slowly dying over the last two years. the dryer gave its last gasp on tuesday. and, a new dishwasher that to replace my current one, which is so broken all over that even the repairman urged me to replace it last time he was here. i never wanted to bite the bullet and spend the money, but now i'm excited about how nice it'll be just to do the things i always do but do them mindlessly without worry that smoke will come out or they'll leak or explode!

dh and i just made the deal: no other presents for each other but these appliances--romantic, ain't it? this is my year for the big items (and yes, it is appliances) and last year was his--he got this fabulous bar and bar stools and fully stocked it. (hmmm..that should have been a red flag right there-lol.)
i totally remember telling my husband earlier in our marriage that if he bought me a vacuum for Christmas, i'd stick it where the sun doesn't shine! my goodness, how much i've changed. think i'd better whip out my leather biker jacket and scoot around on my own just to snap me in to reality again. unless this IS reality..hmm...yikes!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

it's been london here for days. totally fogged in. this morning about 10, the sun finally shone through. love when that happens--seems like a gift. like seeing rainbows.

i don't have gray hair--it's just creative highlights ;-)

TAM-TAM! wtg sista! so glad you're with us **{giant hug}}

**{codi}} good for you for setting and enforcing boundaries. that is hard and takes a strong person--way to go. beezy's advice sounds very wise to me. hang in there.

igfan--you sound so much stronger today! yay!

ruby--do you do makeovers? i vote you the makeover maven on the ranch! good for you for self-pampering. you deserve it!

**{c'est}}

mmmm...who'm i forgetting? **{joanne}} **{miki}} **{ayla--who could also be in the running for funniest mom}} ****{everyone else i inadvertently left out}}} darn, we DO have our own little community here. maybe we could get our own forum and get out of the newcomers...since some of us are becoming beencomers--LOL!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well gals...I'm back to the way God intended...a brunette! Not sure how I feel about it though...I had kind of gotten use to the blond...hmmm.

Scoot you make me laugh...I got so excited over this new crockpot my hubby bought me...the lid seals so you don't spill when transporting, you can hook the lid to the side, and the serving spoon snaps into the lid...Ayla, guess I have the perfect appliance to get that veggie soup over to ya! Funny how a year ago I would have been mortified and pi$$ed if my husband had bought me a crockpot!

Hey Misti..I hope your little guy's ears are getting better! And your mouth Alissa! And your tummy Ayla...sheesh...we've got it all going on!

Hey Igfan...no gray in my eyebrows either! It's a freaking miracle!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Aw, man....Codi, I can't believe what you're going through--please take care of yourself (-and I hope your mom can get that glass out ASAP). That is SO NOT okay for him to throw glass at you, and I'm glad you know that and are on top of it.

Ayla, this is getting ridiculous. I hate that you've been sick for so long, and I want to make it go away. I'm going to get out my "Home Remedies" book--maybe there's something good in there.

Beezy, it's freezing here, too! Good job getting books and firewood all ready . Driving kids to school this morning was pretty neat, though--it's 9 below zero and sunny, so all the snow is super-sparkly. But the cool thing was these huge fog blankets that we'd drive into without warning--then it was like driving through heaven or something. Just blue & misty, and we couldn't see other cars or the houses or anything but the road. Then, POOF, we'd drive out of the fog into the brightest sunshine where the tree branches looked like glass, they had so much frost/ice frozen onto them. Just beautiful.

I'll toss in my age now. I'm 39--guess that puts me somewhere in the middle of all of us here. I have some grey hair, but it's arriving in the dumbest pattern--there's this big "plug" of grey right on the top of my head where my hair parts, then a couple more crops of it at the temples. THANK GOD for home hair color. If the grey would come in more evenly distributed, it might look sorta neat, but oh well!

RUBY! Way to go on the RED SHIRT! Have fun doing your hair, too (Whoa, Stacy & Clinton would have a fit at my outfit today--flannel lined jeans, big ol' snow boots, a mens' oatmeal-colored Irish sweater, silly-looking stocking cap with tassels on top--look out, Tyra Banks! I'm threatening your job!)

Take care, everyone!
Jane
Old 11-30-2006, 08:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I saw an ad for that crockpot with the sealing lid--I want one!
Once I spilled a crockpot of "fraction soup" (a 2nd grade thing) right into the door speaker on the passenger side of my van--rounded a corner and SWOOOSH! That van never smelled the same with all the cauliflower & cabbage seeped into it.

I'll bet you look smashing as a brunette, Ruby
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi, Guys!

Well, I vote to call our new forum Dorks R Us! I'm all over that crock pot, too! And I totally get being excited about appliances...

I'm naturally a dark blond so my grays aren't as noticeable.. however.. In my opinion not much makes you feel quite so old as looking down and finding a gray pubic hair! Back me up on this...

Codi- get some antiseptic on that wound before you get it infected. It really sounds like DH needs to do some soul searching, too. There is no way we will let him treat you like that!! Take the advice of the one's here who unfortunately know what they are talking about.

Ummmm- mid 70's here today..........
Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

BTW- what's wrong with Nick at Night
Old 11-30-2006, 08:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nothing's wrong with Nick at Nite...especially when Full House is on...Uncle Jesse is so hot!!!

Ya know, I could SO be the makeover maven!! Except my oldest daughter thinks I'm a bit of a bully..."no, you cannot wear black eyeliner..too harsh, and the soft plum brings out the green in your eyes!" "You can't wear pink blush and peach lip gloss..." you get my drift!

Ok, I need to fess up and you guys need to talk me down....

I've made plans to go out with a couple of my bestest girlfriends tomorrow night. They would have no problem with me drinking diet coke, in fact they would probably welcome it. They're the ones, always driving me home, pouring me in the door, holding back my hair while I puke....all I keep thinking is maybe if I have a vodka on the rocks...I would sip it all night...I CANNOT think this way! I know it!! Please pray for the ice and snow to hit my area so I'll stay home and this will be a non-issue!!! I HATE THIS!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TamTam View Post
I'm naturally a dark blond so my grays aren't as noticeable.. however.. In my opinion not much makes you feel quite so old as looking down and finding a gray pubic hair! Back me up on this...
Um, Tammy......when i look down all i see is FAT, haven't seen my toes in years (haha).....i'll have to ask my hubby . Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ruby, you know all of the reasons why you CAN'T have that drink. They are your bestest friends! They will support you- you can't hide and not ever go out again. I said before, you don't give yourself enough credit. You absolutely can go out with them and enjoy their company without drinking. I would go for something other than diet coke, tho- gets too syrupy after a while. Don't deprive yourself of much needed girlfriend time (face to face...). You will laugh, I'm sure, and that is always the best medicine.
xoxo T
Old 11-30-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RubyT View Post
Nothing's wrong with Nick at Nite...especially when Full House is on...Uncle Jesse is so hot!!!

Ya know, I could SO be the makeover maven!! Except my oldest daughter thinks I'm a bit of a bully..."no, you cannot wear black eyeliner..too harsh, and the soft plum brings out the green in your eyes!" "You can't wear pink blush and peach lip gloss..." you get my drift!

Ok, I need to fess up and you guys need to talk me down....

I've made plans to go out with a couple of my bestest girlfriends tomorrow night. They would have no problem with me drinking diet coke, in fact they would probably welcome it. They're the ones, always driving me home, pouring me in the door, holding back my hair while I puke....all I keep thinking is maybe if I have a vodka on the rocks...I would sip it all night...I CANNOT think this way! I know it!! Please pray for the ice and snow to hit my area so I'll stay home and this will be a non-issue!!! I HATE THIS!
Uncle Jesse is hot NOW, not then....although when that show first came out we probably thought he was cute. Hell, i think i thought Joey? was cute. Oh well.

Ruby, do your friends know you're not drinking? Maybe you could share with them how you're feeling so they'll discourage you from ordering a vodka rocks. It's hard, i know.........praying for snow!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

They are awesome friends and only have my best interest at heart. They've kind of put their social lives on hold waiting for me to get my sh*t together. I know it will be ok....I can't believe how those stupid thoughts just hit you out of no where! I don't even like vodka!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RubyT View Post
They are awesome friends and only have my best interest at heart. They've kind of put their social lives on hold waiting for me to get my sh*t together. I know it will be ok....I can't believe how those stupid thoughts just hit you out of no where! I don't even like vodka!!!!
funny how we crave things that weren't our "brand".....i've been craving whisky, brandy, anything you can drink straight up, don't want to have to waste time with mixers.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey, Ruby- I hope I wasn't too b*t**ie in my response. You said talk you out of it----- I was trying to talk you out of the craving, but not seeing your friends. xoxo

I think the craving is that instant warming a numbing. That's what I wanted to feel last night.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Not at all...that's why I fessed up!! I only get over sensitive about things like my daughter saying she liked the Christmas tree at her Dad's house better or 7th grade science homework, or corn casserole burning on the bottom...you know big, important stuff!! lol
Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

hi gals, I just played volleyball with some other moms against our girls v-ball team. It was so much fun.

ruby, I hope you do go out with your friends and let them know how you feel. Maybe you could suggest some activity that doesn't revolve around drinking. I'm sure once you're there things will be more comfortable than all the advance thinking. Thats usually where I hurt the most.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I agree ruby...set some boundries for yourself...and let them know them...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Ruby - where are you going with your girlfriends? Can't you go somewhere like a really neat coffee house or somewhere that doesn't serve booze?

(((Ayla)))) Feel better!!! Feel Better!!! Feel Better!!! Everyone chant now...

Alissa, how's that mouth feeling?

Codi - I can't believe he threw a glass at you. You did the right thing. I hope he is stewing as we speak, realizing what a jerky thing that was to do.

I *love* appliances. I'd even take a new vaccuum for Christmas. I am pining for a Dyson Animal vaccuum but they're oh, only about $500 or so. And I LOVE kitchen appliances best of all. Because I don't have a DH around, I have to buy myself something "from Santa" so the kids don't get suspicious. (Well, the 13 knows, but she's quiet for the littler ones). Last year Santa got me a Kitchen Aid mixer. Man, do I love that thing.

And I am going to the grocery store in about an hour to pick up some juice for that punch. I can't wait to try it and I'm going to do it in my crockpot to make my house smell good too!

My eldest daughter and I are going to see CHICAGO on stage this evening. I already saw it once on Broadway, but she has only ever seen the movie and LOVED it. (She's a great fan of musical theatre and dance, so this is really a gift for her). I can't wait!

Love to all
xoxoxo