Notices

Class of January 2024 Support Thread Part 1

Old 01-06-2024, 06:23 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I'm up to my neck in housework too. Chunking it down to make it manageable.
Sounds like a plan, Steely!
Old 01-06-2024, 06:26 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

I had a nice time with my friend today. We sat and talked for three plus hours. It was great.
Now I’m home. I need to get into my PJS. That mentality means that I’m home, lol.
Going to feed the dogs and start cleaning some of the kitchen.

Tomorrow we’re riding at 8:30am. I’m so excited. Scared but excited. Feel like my ride Thursday night was a fluke (because it went pretty smoothly).

I need to focus on my dogs more. I’m not “there” for them because I’m so depressed/distracted. Once the sober me is here for a few weeks, things will get better.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:33 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
Dee you sound so busy, I’m sort to complain (esp about things w/o definite deadlines). It’s the guilt that I harbor for losing so much time sleeping off hangovers the times that I drank in December! Thank you for reminding me that we all have a lot on our plates.

My husband works night shifts. But he suffers from a condition called narcolepsy. (Thankfully, he does not have cataplexy). But his excessive daytime sleepiness means that he is pretty much a night out. Still, we have enjoyed ski trips where he was able to get enough coffee in him to enjoy it, etc. I don’t mean to be so bleak!
Just a few things that need to be done this week.
I think I'm on top of things now
Don't apologise for sharing here!

D
Old 01-06-2024, 07:48 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

My mom and I are okay again. As with most things, it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. We both skirted around the subject for a while, but then she brought it up. I assured her that I am not drinking any more and that I am committed to my sobriety and this group for support. She's happy with that, but it will take time for her to really trust that I am actually going to follow through this time. I am an only child and we have a close relationship. She's a senior, lives by herself and really counts on me being there for her so I'm not going to let her down.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:55 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
The Dog

Well, that was unexpected. I got into an argument about alcohol tonight. I was over at my friend Bob's house helping him work on his car when one of his other friends showed up. His other friend was young, knew nothing about cars but just wanted to talk. I was fine with that until he started bragging about how much vodka he could drink. I ignored him but he kept going on and on. Finally I said, "Bob, I remember when I was young and thought how much I could drink was something to brag about." Bob just replied "Yes, me too." But then his friend tried to backpedal. He said, "O I've actually quit drinking because it's just too expensive. " That's when I called him a liar. I said, "You are lying, no one has ever quit drinking and then brags about how much they can drink." He tried again to insist he had quit and Bob and I continued to call him on it. He decided it was time for him to leave. I don't regret calling him a liar. I just regret never recommending SR.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:11 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeplorableDog View Post
Well, that was unexpected. I got into an argument about alcohol tonight. I was over at my friend Bob's house helping him work on his car when one of his other friends showed up. His other friend was young, knew nothing about cars but just wanted to talk. I was fine with that until he started bragging about how much vodka he could drink. I ignored him but he kept going on and on. Finally I said, "Bob, I remember when I was young and thought how much I could drink was something to brag about." Bob just replied "Yes, me too." But then his friend tried to backpedal. He said, "O I've actually quit drinking because it's just too expensive. " That's when I called him a liar. I said, "You are lying, no one has ever quit drinking and then brags about how much they can drink." He tried again to insist he had quit and Bob and I continued to call him on it. He decided it was time for him to leave. I don't regret calling him a liar. I just regret never recommending SR.
Huh? Just Quit;

Venus, I would take you more seriosly if you stopped calling people "Dear" - in my culture - very disrespectful. .
Old 01-06-2024, 08:25 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Venus - PLEASE stop calling People "Dear",, etc. Just say what you want to say without the flowery language. In my Culture = Just No

I think people have big hearts,
Old 01-06-2024, 08:49 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Brandy123 View Post
Venus - PLEASE stop calling People "Dear",, etc. Just say what you want to say without the flowery language. In my Culture = Just No

I think people have big hearts,
Venuscat, You can call me "Dear" all you want to. I don't get offended by much and I certainly wont be offended by you calling me "Dear."
Old 01-06-2024, 08:55 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Don't shut up. I like your posts.

Thinking about getting a bike or an electric bike.

Any recs??
Old 01-06-2024, 08:57 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Venuscat, You can call me "Dear" all you want to. I don't get offended by much and I certainly wont be offended by you calling me "Dear."
You do not understand other Peoples Cultures. It can be offensive.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:58 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

I don't think you'll have much problem with that Brandy. Calling you 'dear', that is.

So long as no one directs it at you, all should be well.

Dear Venus ..... ❤️

Old 01-06-2024, 09:03 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
i don't think you'll have much problem with that Brandy. Calling you 'dear' that is.

So long as no one directs it at you, all should be well.

Dear Venus ..... ❤️
I tried to make a point, it seems like a club.

New people who bring their new ideas and cultures seem to get shot down Oh well. Bye again. I try to check back for sobriety but I don't see the point

In my culture, you better know someone before you call them "Dear, Sweetie, -Honey". It is disrespecful. People have to be aware of these things and watch their language when posting

And I am not saying anyone doesn't mean well, but I do think people have to be careful when using certain terms.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:11 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Sobriety is the entire point Brandy.

Actually, I thought you'd been drinking. And if you have, this is the place to talk about it.

I'd like you to introduce your culture Brandy. You've never said.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:12 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Steely, I haven't drank in years. My GOD.

i AM FURIOUS,. I said something you didn't like and now you think I am drinking. Do you KNOW how hard it was to stop drinking? I have been sober for a long time. This is blowing my mind THIS was awful what you implied.

I said something you didn't like and now I must have said it because I am drinking.

My GOD. I am off.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:17 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

I didn't realise that Brandy. Sorry. Great.

What support are you seeking then Brandy?

Old 01-06-2024, 09:21 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagnumCat View Post
Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

My mom and I are okay again. As with most things, it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. We both skirted around the subject for a while, but then she brought it up. I assured her that I am not drinking any more and that I am committed to my sobriety and this group for support. She's happy with that, but it will take time for her to really trust that I am actually going to follow through this time. I am an only child and we have a close relationship. She's a senior, lives by herself and really counts on me being there for her so I'm not going to let her down.
This sounds positive Magnum. I’m glad to read this! Sending you a hug.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:23 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Dee, I’m glad that you’re on top of your to-do list.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:30 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Brandy123 View Post
You do not understand other Peoples Cultures. It can be offensive.
The only thing offensive in my culture is the north end of a south bound mule trying to tell me when I should be offended.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:32 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

DD- I wonder if this young guy backpedaled because he realized that he was in the company of two sober men. Maybe he fibbed about quitting drinking in order to fit in? Not saying that’s right or okay. Something I’m learning is to put myself in other ppl’s shoes. Just thinking out loud here. It seems like it was definitely a 180 degree turn…🤷‍♀️
Old 01-06-2024, 09:45 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
DD- I wonder if this young guy backpedaled because he realized that he was in the company of two sober men. Maybe he fibbed about quitting drinking in order to fit in? Not saying that’s right or okay. Something I’m learning is to put myself in other ppl’s shoes. Just thinking out loud here. It seems like it was definitely a 180 degree turn…🤷‍♀️
Well, he wasn't exactly in the company of two sober men, Bob had a can of Budweiser around somewhere. However Bob knows I am quit and I don't consider him an alcoholic because he drinks in moderation and doesn't hammer himself. Now, if the whiskey comes out at Bob's house I am out of there and he knows that. The young guy was trying to fit in. He tried to talk like he knows everything about cars as well. I happen to know that is not true. I let that go by with no remarks on my part. But the bragging about how much he could drink and then claiming he doesn't drink just flipped a switch in me for some reason. Probably because I am 6 months into my quit and the last thing I want to do is tell anybody how much I drank.