Notices

One Year And Under Part 73

Old 12-17-2023, 10:42 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Clear headed, rested, and capable. That's how I describe it.
I remember the day before, eat regularly, and pay my bills. The brain fog has lifted, which is great. Am still struggling with the headspace I used the alcohol to dull down.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:32 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 166 ODAAT
Old 12-18-2023, 07:25 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Day 270.

Practicing sitting in the feels. When bad feelings come you gotta look at it as an opportunity to sit through it then push through it and let them fall away. No more running from bad feelings. A year ago I would look for an escape hatch. Now I say, Thank you for the opportunity to grow.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:47 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Originally Posted by LowBones View Post
I remember the day before, eat regularly, and pay my bills. The brain fog has lifted, which is great. Am still struggling with the headspace I used the alcohol to dull down.
Like you LB I was a functional alcoholic so day to day didn't seem so bad at the time. But for too many years I had suppresssed my emotions with alcohol and had a lot to deal with in the first year of recovery as those feelings, memories and thoughts demanded their head time. It was probably the toughest part of my recovery, I did have some counselling which helped me to open my mind and give time over to the thoughts and feelings I had been blanking. Now, living sober, as OTM says I definitely live in the moment and feel those thoughts and feelings and hard as some of them might be at the time, I feel privileged to be able to have them. It does lead to personal growth and I believe I am a better more empathetic persons these days.

OTM you sound like you are definitely growing into your sobriety

DDog you're racking up those sober days my friend.

Sam, how's life? I'm so happy you're doing so well and sounding strong.

Christmas is almost upon us, I hope it treats us all well regardless of denomination, it is a holiday time.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:37 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 167 ODAAT
Old 12-19-2023, 08:25 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
Day 270.

Practicing sitting in the feels. When bad feelings come you gotta look at it as an opportunity to sit through it then push through it and let them fall away. No more running from bad feelings. A year ago I would look for an escape hatch. Now I say, Thank you for the opportunity to grow.
I love this! And I totally agree, for example, last year I started drinking on Christmas Eve because I was feeling lonely, and I didn't want to deal with the emotions.
But I also chose to stay home by myself which didn't help at all.
So this year I'm going to a friends house for Christmas Eve and hanging with them and I won't be drinking. Completely different than last year.

Last night I was at a holiday dinner at a lovely restaurant -lots of folks were drinking. But I didn't miss alcohol one bit, I enjoyed the food, the conversation and I had a fantastic dessert. Woke up this morning feeling wonderful.
Such a better place to be emotionally and mentally this year. All due to giving up drinking.

Old 12-19-2023, 02:29 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

That's awesome Sam. It important we take stock and really think about where we were at and where we are now. The future will take care of itself and it looks brighter every day.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:03 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 168 ODAAT all I want for Christmas is sobriety
Old 12-20-2023, 10:45 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I am honestly surprised I am still sober. I mean, old me would have never made it this long but I'm so glad I did, as it is a whole different life.
Go team and all that, lol!
Old 12-20-2023, 01:35 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

It's freakin manic this first year! Today I'm thinking about drinking and also thinking about a move and I'm crossing places off the list bc of alcohol. No beach-I'll want a drink. No lake-I'll want a drink. Etc.

It's almost limiting instead of freeing if that makes sense. I still got a lot of work to do.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:55 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

It's freakin manic this first year! Today I'm thinking about drinking and also thinking about a move and I'm crossing places off the list bc of alcohol. No beach-I'll want a drink. No lake-I'll want a drink. Etc.

It's almost limiting instead of freeing if that makes sense. I still got a lot of work to do.
I get it. I definitely feel that way too sometimes, but I go do something else and it passes. It's annoying though.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:16 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
I am honestly surprised I am still sober. I mean, old me would have never made it this long but I'm so glad I did, as it is a whole different life.
Go team and all that, lol!
surprise is the right word....honestly my urge to drink has not been as bad as I expect....the urge to escape in someway is real. Alcohol is the easy out with a liquor store or bar every couple miles. Where I am weed is legal, so there are dispensaries everywhere these days as well....not something I am really tempted by unless I am drinking though. I mainly would smoke at the end of the day to knock me out when the booze wasnt enough, but on its own isnt of interest.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:32 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Yeah, alcohol is everywhere, and the advertising is non stop. Escaping into oblivion sounds tempting at times, like today for me, I think the last month has just caught up with me--so much work pressure, all the "extra" holiday events and stuff, and today I woke up to a sick dog. And I have so much to do today, ugh!

I'm trying to hang in there, with the "this too shall pass" mentality so I don't crack and grab a bottle of wine. Luckily, I don't have any time to drink till much later which by then hopefully this urge will be gone.

I also was beating myself up for all the stupid things I've done in the past while drinking. UGGGHHH.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:21 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

OTM when are you thinking of moving? There are places I go now and happily spend time sober where before I would have been drinking. Don't limit your vision based on past actions, this is a who.E new you now, able to be whatever and go wherever you want

Sam, funny how much we used pressure as an excuse to drink (and used drink to escape reality)

You are all beginning to find new ways of dealing with the onslaught of the 'festivities' this will be the toughest one you go through, next year you will be old hands at sober Christmas and new years!
Old 12-22-2023, 02:15 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 170 ODAAT last night of work this year.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:28 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Thanks toots.

Merry Christmas Undies! Leaving for a week or so. Stay strong! Hope you are feeling better, Sam.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:19 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Thanks toots.

Merry Christmas Undies! Leaving for a week or so. Stay strong! Hope you are feeling better, Sam.
All good, now. Thanks Off!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2023, 01:49 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

See you soon OTM….Have a good holiday!
Old 12-23-2023, 02:41 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 171 ODAAT
Old 12-25-2023, 02:39 AM
  # 300 (permalink)