Notices

Class of February 2023 Part 1

Old 02-05-2023, 11:03 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all

Citrus-I can't imagine what you are going through but my thoughts are with you. Well done one getting back to day 2 and I hope you stick around in this class

Welcome sobertoday

Thanks Dee & Sam.

I was looking at some pictures of me from 2016 when I had 3.5 years sober just before I picked up again. I almost don't recognise myself. I was slim, bright eyed, clear skin, glowing even and looked so young (for 40!!) and happy. Fast forward to recent photos I was fat, bloated, red faced, miserable looking, old, wrinkly, Really quite scary. No more-I am turning this around. Day 12. Have a good day everyone x
Old 02-06-2023, 12:50 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morning x
((((citrus))) hugs to you hun x
I ended up drinking yesterday, so back to day 1 all i can say least i was sober on saturday which is a first for me in a very long time. ive got to try keep trying and also communicate on here, its when i fall back and not post is when i slip. the other reason why im finding it hard to stop is i still havent got sense of smell or taste back since i had covid last june and its really effecting my mental status and also i was discharged from alcohol servises due to councilor retired and he thought it wouldnt do me any good if i had to start again on someone new as i find change hard. I also have yet another pshyciatrist doing a telephone appointment on the 14 which i hope he or she is better than the last one who never really gave me any support and i just couldnt get on with so that didnt help any. just thought i would share on whats going on x
good job RAL on day 12, keep it up hun x
good job on everyones elses time aswell x
not sure what plans i have today, but i should go to the gym. I have some new books to read aswell which should keep me bz.
anyway hope everyone has good day x
Old 02-06-2023, 03:12 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 127.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:33 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi new and old fellow classmates

5 months and 8 days of 'just for today' I will not pick-up.

There's a saying in the rooms on NA: Of all the time you spent drinking and put in a fraction of that time into a recovery program, you will recover. I have a history of 10s of thousand hours, days on end using. So a couple three hours daily to do me program is nothing compared all the time I squandered being loaded day after day after day. Work it because your soooo worth it precious peeps

'Drinking' hijacked to mean slurping cocktails. Yea, language dose evolve over time no stopping that fo sure. We addicts will say 'pick-up' or 'use' in recovery and in addiction. As usual I don't know what point I'm making LOL next subject.

Oh, 90 days clean/sober I began to get some mental clarity and calm. Stick with it peeps.

Hello Suze, Anna and Dee
Old 02-06-2023, 03:35 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
I was looking at some pictures of me from 2016 when I had 3.5 years sober just before I picked up again. I almost don't recognise myself. I was slim, bright eyed, clear skin, glowing even and looked so young (for 40!!) and happy. Fast forward to recent photos I was fat, bloated, red faced, miserable looking, old, wrinkly, Really quite scary. No more-I am turning this around. Day 12. Have a good day everyone x
Hi RAL. Indeed we change our appearance a lot, besides the damage we do to our selves internally. I stopped counting my sober days, I stopped drinking on Jan 1st, so I'm on day 30 something and I can see physical changes, I lost weight, my skin looks great, no more dark circles around my eyes, not more bloated appearance, besides sleeping better, being more focused and more happy. Only advantages.

Keep it up!

Stay healthy everyone!
Old 02-06-2023, 03:59 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Good morning, everyone!

Welcome Citrus and Hiding and Sobertoday! Erratic, glad you made it right back!

Everything is relatively smooth sailing over here. I got to take my kids one of their buddies’ birthday party yesterday afternoon, and I unexpectedly bumped into one of my friends while there. She had very clearly (to me) been day drinking, and it gave me flashbacks of shame.

The kids were playing and laughing while she hid in her car and made apologies for being un-showered and unprepared to see me. I can definitely remember feeling like I needed to “prepare” for others, so that they didn’t notice my mess. Now, in recovery, I can own my mess (most of the time), it’s less yucky than I feared, and I worry a lot less what others may think of it. I hope that my friend can find that someday. She deserves true peace, but she’s settling for a little false oblivion. I did for years, too.

It reminds me to be vigilant and compassionate. We are all stumbling along, trying to find our way. Now that my footing is more sure, I must never forget how afraid of falling I used to be.

Much love to everyone. Have a beautiful Monday!

Old 02-06-2023, 05:08 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Toughchoices. Well put. Her condition is a reminder to all of us we are not to far removed from that ourselves.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:26 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

For me, the worry is that she was driving her children after drinking, dear TC.

Welcome back, dear Erratic and hello Hiding and congrats on day 5! s

I am with Renegade, dear RAL, it doesn't take long, in a week or two or three more you will be smiling at your reflection. If we keep doing the recovery work to heal our insides, it shows.

Old 02-06-2023, 05:28 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Day 2. Good morning everyone, and I am glad to be here. I am focused
on not drinking today. That’s about all I got, or want right now.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:29 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

With you every step, dearest ST54 ❤️
Old 02-06-2023, 05:31 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

She wasn’t driving, Suze. Just waiting on kids and hubby in the car.

If she had been, it would have been a scene, I’m afraid.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:55 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I am glad she wasn't driving. xx
Old 02-06-2023, 06:17 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I was really close to drinking this weekend. Twice! I did a bunch of work on Saturday and towards the end I thought I was gonna be asked to go get a beer. I thought that it would be rude to say no, so I'd already decided to just go along with it and you know, get back to staying sober after that. In one instant that switch flipped!

Then yesterday I actually went into the liquor store to buy a gift for someone. I had to get something and he's a drinker so it was the easiest choice. I hated being in there. The smell, ugh. Seeing all the bottles, I started to feel sick. After purchasing a bottle of booze and leaving somehow I talked myself into this idea that if we hand him the gift and he opened it right there and said, 'let's have a drink!', it would be disrespectful to decline, so I had all but decided to have one if that happened. Luckily, it didn't.

How do I plan for this?

I knew I didn't want to drink the whole time but I talked myself into it anyway.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:19 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Be always alert @FiveTries ! In my 30-something days since I quit, I've been offered wine and beer, but politely refused without much detailed explanations.
From now on I'll say "I'm on a diet" and if someone replies "Come on! One glass won't do you no harm!" (if they only knew...) and I'll reply back "Between eating this nice meal (or apetizers) or having a drink without breaking my diet too much, I'll choose the food, ok?". There, simples as that.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:29 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hello Dear February friends, old and new,
I'd like to join you here. I've been a member of SR since 2013, and I'm still stuck. I had four years of sobriety, but anxiety got the better of me, and I accepted a drink when it was offered to me. I've been on this horrible treadmill since September 2017. I will stop drinking for some weeks, then just feel so depressed and lonely, and give in. But I'm 65 now, with more health problems. I am very ashamed of myself. No-one knows that I am an alcoholic. Everyone thinks that I am a "classy lady". Hiding and drinking alone; it's disgusting. It's getting worse. What if I fell at home, or worse? If I can get the nerve up, I'm going to attend a secular AA meeting tomorrow.

Citrus, I cannot imagine the pain you are going through. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I'm in a community theatre play and my character has 13 years sober. I wish... We are rehearsing, and I'm doing very badly. The director isn't pleased with me. He says I'm boring, and no energy for the role, and he's right. Rehearsals are huge triggers for me. Last week, I couldn't get out of there fast enough, to get to the liqour store. It's such a horrible cycle of despair and destruction. I will stay close to SR tonight, after rehearsal.

Thanks, everyone. I look forward to getting to know and re-know you all.
Day 2

Old 02-06-2023, 09:36 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

(((Leshar))) ❤️
Old 02-06-2023, 09:42 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Leshar!!! So good to see you, welcome back!!!
Old 02-06-2023, 10:37 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

@Renegade2 @FiveTries When someone offers me a drink i just say that i am taking a break , that always does the trick , in all cases so far people were actually pleased because everyone knows how much i was drinking ( well actually no one really knows except me but they get the picture ).
Old 02-06-2023, 10:57 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hello, Leshar
Old 02-06-2023, 11:09 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
RAL

Five- it's not rude or disrespectful to turn a drink down or not go out for a beer. We must put ourselves first in this. It doesn't matter if people go off me or don't like me anymore or think I'm being funny/rude if I refuse a drink. I've spent too many years trying to please people or worry about what people think of me or if they like me. But it's all irrelevant really.