Notices

Class of February 2023 Part 1

Old 02-02-2023, 03:19 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
OMG Offthemast, that all sounds scary. I'm sure things will get much better if you keep the bottle down though. At only 33 days my health issues have all gotten much better!
Great to hear! I really enjoyed reading your thread on the other subforum 5. keep it up!
Old 02-02-2023, 03:21 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi all - I would like to join the group and commit to a sober February. Day 30 for me and am feeling so much better than I did 30 days ago. I am dealing with lots of anxiety and have been a grump but otherwise, everything in life has improved in some way. My BP is back to normal, I’ve lost a couple pounds, I’ve been a better husband and dad, and have also been more productive at work. Alcohol offers zero benefits.

I hope everyone has a great day and we can march onward together through this month.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:27 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hello Basset and Nik! February crew coming together.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:36 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to our newcomers

RAL there's definitely a habitual element to it, but I think addiction is more than that - its obsessive and often quite crippling when we get the urge.

A habit you can break with a little bit of willpower.
My will wanted a drink.

It doesn't mean we can't win against it, but I think we have to use everything available to us to make that win happen?

D
Old 02-02-2023, 03:56 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks Dee

Welcome Basset and Nik

The best laid plans and all that! I can't get into my bedroom. When I tried to open the door it wouldn't budge. Something was behind it. Seems the carpet is up which is bizarre. Then one of the cats appeared. poor thing been in there all day and obviously tried to scratch the carpet and pulled it up. Anyway, managed to push door open enough for puddy cat to squeeze through but carpet totally up now. Heavy furniture on the side so won't go up enough to open more than 3 inches. After giving the cat a big cuddle and food and she's fine I'm now on the sofa! Luckily there was a wide glass of water on my bedside cabinet so at least she's had access to that.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:11 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Gosh, what a strange and annoying thing to happen, RAL, but so glad you and kitty are both OK. ❤️
Old 02-02-2023, 05:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Checking in late today as I seem to have come down with the flu. Sigh…working from home was nice but I feel miserable.

Anyway, today is day 58!
Old 02-02-2023, 05:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Puff, the Magic Dragon

This is where February was hiding!

I'm not new to this site. I quit drinking many years ago and put a lot of time into SR.

Now I'm quitting weed. Maybe. Possibly. It could happen. It might happen tomorrow. That's my plan anyway.

Are there any threads here where a girl can curse? There should be a cursing thread.

Hope everyone has a peaceful evening.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:44 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Because our members access SR from a variety of different places, including workplaces, it just makes sense to not allow 'cursing'

D
Old 02-02-2023, 05:49 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Made it through a challenging day with 5 drinkers on a beautiful boat day in south west Florida. In the past I would be the one drinking the most and I would still be going. They are all in bed and I am here posting and doing crosswords.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:45 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morning to everyone and great job on pushing through yesterday x

I have work again this morning so that keep me bz. RAL i hear u on needing to skip going to shops after work me and hub will have to do this.I will have to plan on what im going to do this weekend and be aware of not going near booze section when we go for our shop. Good thing about that isle is thats its the end and really there is no need to go there unless i want just normal juiice which i hardly drink unless with the poison.I still have varied teas i can be drinking. anyhoo i guess i better get going and grab another cup of tea before work.

have great day everyone xx
Old 02-03-2023, 01:46 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all

Welcome to the newcomers.

Yes Erratic- I'm def avoiding shops. booking asda deliveries for before 10am so can't get alcohol. just takes it off the table completely.

Woke up just before 8am and rushed to join morning meeting. It was great though. Perfect start for a Friday and a weekend. It really helps to listen to others' experiences and everything is so relatable.

Loads of housework to get through this morning and going to start spring cleaning. Windows first Also got a ton of wood yesterday so need to chop that up int manageable pieces for the fire.

Hope everyone has a good day.x
Old 02-03-2023, 03:48 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
In. Hello class. I look forward to accomplishing our goals together. I am on Day 1 as I had a few Guinness a
the last couple of days bc I knew Feb 1 was my day. I got diagnosed w alcohol induced pancreatitis around the beginning of October so I have not drank a lot the last few months. However the Dr. told me to quit completely as it could kill me and I would break down every month or so and have some drinks. Fast forward to last week and I kinda went off the handle. A couple of blackout nights w friends that were not good. When I drink I don't stop so its not sustainable. Something bad will happen if I continue to think I can moderate my drinking.

I'm interested in not just sobriety at this point but recovery. Plan is to hit up a lot of meetings, stay close here, and really believe that life is so much better without alcohol. I drank about 5 or 6 times since October and all the sober days in between were fine. Did not miss it much of course I was in a lot of pain from my pancreas. Did not drink during the holidays and it was fine. As soon as I started feeling a little bit better though I was back at happy hour.

Anyway I am rambling. Bottom line I have to stop for my health. 0 room for moderation. Excited. Lets do this.
Offthemast, I'm like you. I just concluded that my body can't take this anymore, it will kill me. It's now or never. I'm on Day 32 and my liver pain is still present. 32 days weren't enough to heal it, can you imagine? Our body is an extraordinary being capable of healing, but if the damage is too much, it will take a long time to heal, or, it simply can't.
With this constantly in mind, I quit and will never drink again. I already lost 2 Kgs (3 pounds) and overall I feel and look better. It's worth it.
We're here for you.
Choose Life.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:52 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by RunnerF View Post
Made it through a challenging day with 5 drinkers on a beautiful boat day in south west Florida. In the past I would be the one drinking the most and I would still be going. They are all in bed and I am here posting and doing crosswords.
Hi Runner!

I'm curious, how did your friends react when you refused drinking?
I'm asking you this because I only had one social event since I quit and I just refused a glass of wine saying I was on a diet. What was your excuse?
Old 02-03-2023, 04:41 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Renegade2. Thanks for reaching out. These folks I have been with before since stopping but the pressure was there. Most of it came from within to be honest, romanticizing the bottle. I tell everyone the truth that I had a poor blood test that showed elevated liver issues. Thus I am not drinking. No one has pushed me about it.

I think you are young, I am 62. I quit for ten years from 33 years old until I was 43. Then thought I could handle drinking. It took 19 years and progressive medical conditions to scare me into sobriety. I wish I had never started again but I can’t change the past. I can only change in the present which I am committed to do. I am a very private person usually and don’t share much of myself until recently here. Hang in there for you and your family.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:51 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Puff, the Magic Dragon

I so relate to the physical suffering we go through before recovery. Alcoholism is not for the faint of heart. I'm 62 and quit drinking 11 years ago. "Sick" was my default, and I spent most of most workdays recovering from the night before. I cannot express how wonderful it is not to feel like I have been poisoned all the time.

This far removed from it, it smells bad to me, like it did when I was a kid.

Before, I had a terrible problem swallowing, and landed in the ER with food lodged in my throat. That largely self-corrected when the heartburn went away, which happened when the beer went away.

One night about five years ago, I got a bad head cold and took Nightquil. I woke up all buzzy and afraid, slightly freaked, like waking from a mild night of drinking. I will never take that stuff again because I never want to feel that way again.

Alcohol is truly poison. I wish I felt that way about weed.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:00 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Good morning, all!

Congrats to everyone making it through the month of January, and welcome to those joining us in February! This is a great resource for support and encouragement.

Life is rolling along nicely here. I’m catching on at work and my body is getting accustomed to all of the physical exertion. I’ve gotten comfortable enough on certain routes to listen to some recovery podcasts and/or music while I carry, and that’s been lovely!

Yesterday I hiked 14 miles at work, went to the grocery store, meal prepped, picked up kiddos, then ran to my AA meeting. When I returned home, I expressed surprise that my spouse hadn’t begun cooking dinner (it was 7pm and everything was laid out and ready to cook). He said that he didn’t know I wanted him to cook, which is fair….I didn’t tell him to do it. But it did seem somewhat intuitive.

I was surprised, but I wasn’t angry or mean. I did not shame him. I cooked. He said, “Thanks for making me feel like a piece of crap.” Hmmmmm….

I am not making anyone feel like crap. It is not wrong or bad to anticipate some intuition on the part of your partner. My old self would have groveled and apologized and doubted my feelings and resented the heck out of him. Today, I am healthy enough to see that his emotions are not my responsibility. Perhaps next time he will start cooking. Perhaps not. Either way, I am making Progress!
Old 02-03-2023, 05:05 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a great part of you must think that way about weed or you wouldn’t be here.

I destroyed my life as completely with pot as I did with alcohol. They were two virtually identical sinking boats on the same sea of crud.

Once I stepped away far enough to see that, I knew that, if I wanted happiness and inner peace, I had to stop all of my self destructive addictions.

D
Old 02-03-2023, 05:09 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Dragon,
. I'm also 62, my story is similar to Runners.
I didn't drink between age of 22 and almost 40.
in my case, the majority of the past 22 years I drank 2 bottles of wine a day.

Today is 2 months alcohol free and I haven't missed the toxins at all in the past month and a half.
I'm very thankful for this gift from God and don't plan on returning it this time!

​​​​​
Old 02-03-2023, 05:21 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi Puff,
I was a heavy weed smoker, I know what you mean.
To appreciate all the benefits of sobriety, I must refrain from consuming any substance that can modify my behavior or mental state.
You will reach a new level of lucidity by quitting smoking weed.
Stay with us, let us know how it went!