Notices

Class of February 2023 Part 1

Old 02-03-2023, 06:42 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by RunnerF View Post
Renegade2. Thanks for reaching out. These folks I have been with before since stopping but the pressure was there. Most of it came from within to be honest, romanticizing the bottle. I tell everyone the truth that I had a poor blood test that showed elevated liver issues. Thus I am not drinking. No one has pushed me about it.

I think you are young, I am 62. I quit for ten years from 33 years old until I was 43. Then thought I could handle drinking. It took 19 years and progressive medical conditions to scare me into sobriety. I wish I had never started again but I can’t change the past. I can only change in the present which I am committed to do. I am a very private person usually and don’t share much of myself until recently here. Hang in there for you and your family.
I'm glad that went out well. I too am going to answer the same way - it's about my health.

I'm 47. I haven't quit since I started drinking in college. Those times were wild. Then I started working and I didn't have any addiction, I had an occasional beer. Then in the beginning of my 30's I started having beer as my steady drink in the meals. Then I started having 2 "because of the heat" (yeah, right) and so on... it's been a steady escalator. 10 years ago I feeled I could have a problem. 8 years ago I registered here at SR. And the rest is history, as they say.

I only pray that my damage is not too much... 33 days and my liver is still stinguing! Dammit! I hope it gets healed soon so I can be more calm about my health.

Stay healthy
Old 02-03-2023, 09:51 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenithboy88 View Post
Hi Dragon,
. I'm also 62, my story is similar to Runners.
I didn't drink between age of 22 and almost 40.
in my case, the majority of the past 22 years I drank 2 bottles of wine a day.

Today is 2 months alcohol free and I haven't missed the toxins at all in the past month and a half.
I'm very thankful for this gift from God and don't plan on returning it this time!

​​​​​
Congrats Zenith! 2 months is great!!
Old 02-03-2023, 10:02 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
RAL

Congrats on 2 months Zenith

Had a really productive day. Done loads of spring cleaning,long overdue. It's amazing how much I get done when I don't drink. Jr RAL away for the weekend so going to binge watch TV all evening

Hope everyone has a good Friday and Friday night
Old 02-03-2023, 10:06 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

That's great to hear, RAL! It is amazing how much better life and productivity is without alcohol.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:10 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks Sam Hope all good with you
Old 02-03-2023, 12:52 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
I’m in.
Miss you all. Let’s do this. 💕💕💕
Old 02-03-2023, 01:04 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Welcome back, dear Peke—so happy to see you!! ❤️
Old 02-03-2023, 01:05 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thank you Venus!
So glad to be here.
Miss you and hope that you’re well. Happy Friday.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:07 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group Peke!

Zenith - congrats on 2 months!

So many great posts over the last 24 hours. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I can relate to so much of what has been said.

Day 31 for me. This is my longest stretch of sobriety in a long, long time. I’m inspired by everyone sharing some of their health stories and decided to schedule a physical (with bloodwork). I go 2 weeks from now. I’ve been putting this off for years. In my alcoholic mind, I always came up with some excuse why I didn’t need to get this done. But the real bottom line is I think I was scared I’d find out I have to quit drinking. The AV is quite controlling and manipulative. It’s great to get a little sober time under my belt and loosen its grip on me.

I hope everyone has a great Friday!

I am committed to 24 more. I won’t be picking up that 1st drink today.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:15 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I am just fine, dear Peke, thank you. s

And I am thrilled for you, dear Bailey, and for all of you kicking goal after goal after goal.

PS. If any of you need TV shows and movies, I have seen most of them or read the reviews. When I was growing up, my dad hassled me endlessly about my tv addiction, but now, I am more than happy to indulge myself. I am not hurting anyone, and I watch most things while doing something householdy, so I don't feel lazy.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:20 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back PL
CK - totally agree - thanks for your post.

D
Old 02-03-2023, 01:58 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post
Welcome to the group Peke!

Zenith - congrats on 2 months!

So many great posts over the last 24 hours. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I can relate to so much of what has been said.

Day 31 for me. This is my longest stretch of sobriety in a long, long time. I’m inspired by everyone sharing some of their health stories and decided to schedule a physical (with bloodwork). I go 2 weeks from now. I’ve been putting this off for years. In my alcoholic mind, I always came up with some excuse why I didn’t need to get this done. But the real bottom line is I think I was scared I’d find out I have to quit drinking. The AV is quite controlling and manipulative. It’s great to get a little sober time under my belt and loosen its grip on me.

I hope everyone has a great Friday!

I am committed to 24 more. I won’t be picking up that 1st drink today.
Hi BD! Actually what triggered me to quit was a blood exam I did last December. Until then, I was always avoiding it like the plague, of course... I didn't want to know how bad my system was. I was in denial and scared at the same time. But since I had a meltdown, I gave up - the doctor told me to do those exames and the values where through the roof, obviously. Then the doc said I couldn't keep the values that high for too long, I've been risking too long and that's how I gained momentum to start this jorney.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:59 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi Peke!!!

Basset-I'm so glad you made the appointment, I know how much I was dreading mine and I waited to the absolute last minute to get blood drawn. But you will feel so much better afterward.

Venus-I may need some advice on shows/movies soon as I feel like I'm running low. I've been on a documentary kick lately.

Here's an interesting thing I faced today: meeting a potential new date and navigating the whole "do you drink" conversation. I did something I've never done in the past, I said straight out that I don't drink and I don't want someone in my life who drinks regularly. I'm so proud of myself! In the past, I'd not address it and often would end up caving on a first date and ordering a drink to "fit in."

Will wonders never cease! (Not to mention that I actually found someone who I think has potential, LOL)

Old 02-03-2023, 03:07 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Sam—that is huge. And so incredibly freeing. I am so glad that you are proud of yourself! s

And anytime. xx
Old 02-03-2023, 03:17 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renegade2 View Post
Offthemast, I'm like you. I just concluded that my body can't take this anymore, it will kill me. It's now or never. I'm on Day 32 and my liver pain is still present. 32 days weren't enough to heal it, can you imagine? Our body is an extraordinary being capable of healing, but if the damage is too much, it will take a long time to heal, or, it simply can't.
With this constantly in mind, I quit and will never drink again. I already lost 2 Kgs (3 pounds) and overall I feel and look better. It's worth it.
We're here for you.
Choose Life.
Thanks man. I appreciate it. It has been a rough five months. I feel like it has taken forever to heal. Was scared it might be chronic but the doc says it will heal. Sometimes it takes awhile. I'm just sick of soup, and turkey, and low fat. I want a dadgum cheeseburger!

Sittin down to chill out for the evening. Work tomorrow. I've been binging Ewan Macgregors "All the way Around, Up, Down" series on AppleTV and it was spectacular. Makes me want to buy a motorcycle and travel the globe. Have a good night folks.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:39 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hi Dee!
hi Sam! I had a great run last night. (Needling my light as it’s still getting dark at 4-5).
Hope everyone is doing well. TGIF.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:01 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Puff, the Magic Dragon

It's too bad everyone has such lousy, cold weather. It does not get very cold here, or very hot, or sunny, LOL. Gales and tsunami threats is how we roll!

I am an hour from lift-off. I'm waiting for the last possible second to officially quit, even though I am not using now anyway. I work, then I'll sleep (hopefully, I'm deprived), then I'll wake up and wonder WTF I was thinking when I said I would quit!

Or maybe it will be better than that. I think I am actually going to do this though. Crap, I'm gonna have so much focus, I bet to get level 150 on Elden Ring. Or maybe I'll do something more productive. Not likely, LOL.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:08 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do it, DragonbytheSea

D
Old 02-03-2023, 10:29 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

End of Day 446 - Rowed for 3.3 kms and 30 minutes of strength training. Good dinner and off to bed. Stay strong all. Congrats to all milestones. Good night from rainy Seattle.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:38 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all
Renegade- I had similar issues with blood work last year and waiting for more results atm. Have you had the tests repeated since you quit? I've read the results can improve pretty quickly once we stop. Hope it goes well for you.

Basset-Many congrats on 1 month sober

Peke-Welcome back

CK-thanks for posting that.

Sam - that's so good to read. Proud of you And hope things go well with the new beau

Day 10. Double figures. Lost some weight and skin flushing is reducing. both take longer as I get older but I've all the time in the world now as not drinking again. Physical stuff aside I feel so much better mentally. Sleeping better, feel calmer, have peace of mind. And 10 days is nothing. I'm thinking how I'll feel in 10 weeks, 10 months.

More wood to split today, new book has arrived. Also got some studying to do. I'm doing an online course in religion and history. Been doing it for 6 years. This is the last year and I'm really really struggling. Just can't get into it. I only started it for interest, not for work or anything. Seems terrible to quit so close to the end but it's so difficult. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. Maybe I should embrace the challenge. No matter, not a big deal.

No SMART meetings in UK today but I've found an online one this afternoon in USA which I will go to Hope everyone has a great day x

Suze-any TV recommendations would be great thanks-I@m also a bit of a TV addict Been watching Happy Valley(3 seasons-def recommended if you've not seen it) , Death in Paradise, Snow girl on Netflix was excellent too.