Notices

New Year Challenge Part 2

Old 08-07-2022, 03:47 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Its a glorious day. Sun shining walk to the beach and back watched what i think are crazy people swimming 🏊‍♂️ including my wife and her friends and we will then be heading to Kilkenny city later today about a 2hr drive from home.. My son has a week away at rugby camp with his buddies so my wife and i are going to have a night in a hotel and be the tourists. I haven't been there for many years so looking forward to it.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:44 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Bet you’re a bit jealous of the swimmers, AL 😂 Open water swimming is much more interesting than a pool once you’re actually in the water, but I can see how there are risks with the cold water. Those people in the picture should be wearing/carrying floats attached to a cord which a swimmer can hold on to if tired or worse.

I almost sound knowledgeable on the subject, but I just know it’s cold. Also, the open water places I go to (occasionally) are dedicated to water sports and have staff and lifeguards, etc. There’s an old quarry near me which looks very inviting for swimmers, but it has dangers such as very cold undercurrents, and the police are always there telling people to get out.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:08 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Fantastic images from the paddle-boarding AL. Looks absolutely spectacular!

Glad you've found a new hobby that brings you into nature and with friends. Lovely!
Old 08-07-2022, 11:56 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Kilkenny is a lovely city. Nice night back to the hotel by 9pm and a movie.😄
Old 08-08-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Back home after a lovely morning strolling around Kilkenny city and a visit to the castle. Well worth a guided visit for that extra bit of information.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:40 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Lazy day today just stayed around the house. Must be the 🌞. Bit blue to be honest one of those days when I want my own company and a sign with do not disturb around my neck. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Heres one from last night brought my daughter and wife to the beach. A nice night but too busy for my liking so i left the crowd and followed them by foot.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:07 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Lovely shot, AL. I'm sorry you're feeling blue ... and I know the feeling. I have blue days, but like you I usually feel at least a little better getting out there in nature. Hoping tomorrow is a little cheerier for you.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:05 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Thanks Tursiops. It was a shite wake up but today has ended in smiles and happiness . Went out paddle boarding with my wife and daughter and had great fun. They are not made for two and tonight was proof enough of that i fell in when my daughter decided to hop onto mine and over we went in high water. Hodd yes my body went into fast breathing shock from the cold 🥶 but i remained calm and got back up on the board. I ended up going back in on purpose this time and had a swim. It was lovely. Glad im back to normal again tonight. The ladies went back out again while i waited in the car almost shivering but warm enough. Supposedly a heatwave this week so plenty of water sports for us.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:01 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

👍🙂 I’m sure that was a shock, AL, but I’d hope things wouldn’t be too shocking at this warmer time of year. Just think, people go open water swimming all year round! 🥶

I was supposed to go OW swimming this evening with my club but made excuses! Definitely next week.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:02 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I might go for a swim again tonight. To be honest i never saw myself doing these things even last year but sobriety seems to have surprises around every corner. Probably got the better of me last night, i bought 2 open kayaks for my wife and i just for around the island and the harbour €950 for the 2😬. Just have to think of the amount of money i gave the drinks companies over the years and this wouldn't put a dent in that. I cant wait for them to arrive.
ive water sports on the brain now so heres a fishing boat instead moored for a week while the crew are taking a well deserved holiday.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:18 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

"Messing about in small boats" is a time-honoured recipe for happiness. Congrats on the kayaks, money well spent I'd say.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:19 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Money on hobbies (fads 😂 ) is never wasted, AL. As you say, we’d have blown it on booze in the past. I get through £130 running shoes every few months, but that’s way less £ than a bottle of wine a day, and I think it’s doing me good. I mentioned I was recently in Asia (in a country where alcohol is expensive), and I hardly spent any money. I came back loaded!
Old 08-12-2022, 07:55 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

No excuses Hodd i will have to use them once they arrive, even the kids (young adult and teen) are excited.
Its so hot today town has been quiet but the beach from last weeks photos is impossible to get to if you drive a car they are parked everywhere. I went for a walk instead before work and the black berries are almost ready and ripe. 😋 yum.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:50 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

No excuses Hodd i will have to use them once they arrive
I should hope so too. It must be great exercise.

I’ve just blown £200 on my first wetsuit. My triathlon “career” has been stunted somewhat by my poor swimming. I see new club members who can barely swim improve and breeze past me in pool events. Apparently a wetsuit helps with buoyancy, and I need all the help I can get 🙂
Old 08-12-2022, 11:57 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Bought my first as well in France this summet when i fell in the last night i found it hard to get used to. I can swim no problem but found it difficult to coordinate my legs as they were floating as i was kicking 😅.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:50 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Theres not much to say today only its hot and humid 😫. Could you only imagine being hungover in this. Unfortunately I can. Thankfully filling up on water and taking a dip in the sea instead to keep cool.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:26 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Waited till 9pm before doing a (still slow) 5km run yesterday, but it was still like running in the Amazon 🤣 A lot of my swimming buddies are away, and I’m definitely not venturing out on my own for a cooling swim. We should enjoy it though, AL, it’ll soon be September!
Old 08-14-2022, 01:56 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Well if heavan is real i found it this morning. Up 6.30am in the water for 7am. Stayed out for 90 minutes ventured into town out to the fort across the harbour (to the beach from last week) stopped for a while and meditated with the sun on my face it was bliss. Then back into town. I think i was photographed many times by walkers close to the water. Next up a nice walk before it gets to hot again.
Keep it up Hodd.
I always was jealous of those running or kyacking around as i never thought it would be me. Times change thankfully for the better. I can honestly say i didn't think i would be doing this today. So happy i did.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:37 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

I don’t think there’s a sedentary drinker on the planet who doesn’t come over with regret and envy when seeing a person their age running or cycling past, AL. Now I’ll be nasty and say there’s probably not a runner/cyclist on the planet either who doesn’t pass a mob flopped in some beer garden and think “rather you than me”. I quite enjoy it 🤣
Old 08-14-2022, 04:59 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

I'm with you there.
i llook on with pity these days at everyone sitting outside the pubs full of laughter looking like they're having a great time, that sounds all wrong 😅 but thats what i saw already today, what i wont be looking at is what it will probably be like later, not to mention tomorrow morning for them.
Much happier this way discovering new ways to enjoy myself.
Just look at that view