last part here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-one-20.html

congrats to everyone on their milestones today no matter what they are

D
Old 11-27-2022, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just in case anyone doesn't know

We'll move this thread at the end of the month so that the new monthly thread (December 2022) can take its place here in Newcomers forum.

This November 2022 thread stays intact, but moves to the Daily Support forum.

Some members, may prefer to move to December's thread, but there's no rule about that at all - stay here, move, or post in both - it's really up to you

I wanted to remind everyone you're all very welcome to keep posting in this thread.

It will keep going!

D
Old 11-27-2022, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey folks - i’ve been reading SR since september. quit drinking on sep 7 just as a break and then had a major panic attack on sep 10 which i had never had anything like that before. doc said it was probably alcohol related so i’ve stopped since then, except for a couple polite “taste” sips of my wife’s beer in the first few weeks when i was still figuring out what i was actually doing. the doc gave me some valium which i’ve used about 4 times since sept and am now going to try to not use again. so not sure when my “sober date” is but i’ll say sometime before thanksgiving 2022.

ive been drinking nightly for 21 years but usually in moderation - couple standard units spaced out in time. but quarantine and stress sent me into a worse place. by 2022 i was drinking around 5-7 units nightly and noticing health problems.

never thought i had a problem but since i quit i’ve had massive anxiety and periodic panic attacks. it’s all very new to me. anyway i’m just trying to relax and take it day by day. really appreciate all the counsel i’ve read on here so far. it’s helped a lot
Old 11-27-2022, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome originalname

D
Old 11-27-2022, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Originalname, Welcome!

You've made a great decision to stop drinking. It's likely that the anxiety and panic attacks will ease up as you continue with your recovery. Trying to relax is a good plan. Meditation can help too, if you're interested in trying that. Anxiety can be helped by using 'belly breathing':

Sit down in a comfortable chair, sit up straight and put your hands on your belly or if it's more comfortable you can lay down.Close your mouth and take a slow, deep breath in through your nose. When you breathe in, you want your belly to fill with air and get bigger like a balloon. The hand on your chest should remain still, while the one on your belly should rise. Tighten your abdominal muscles and let them fall inward as you exhale through pursed lips. The hand on your belly should move down to its original position.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Original! I’m glad you’re here! Welcome.

The forecast is calling for snow here in the PNW. 1/3 dogs is on the bed with me keeping me warm.

Stay strong everyone.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

End of Day 379 and the long weekend. Ready to push the next couple of weeks until the holidays begin. Wishing you all strength and a great week ahead.

Good night from Seattle.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 57. Motivation needed to get in better shape and eat better. Can do it as I have in the past but I always felt it a chore to do so. I need to welcome the work and effort as a blessing as some my age can’t anymore or he e never or aren’t here on earth any longer. Best to all today.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 3 here. Switching Primary doctor today with a 1st visit. Seemed like I was always angry after visiting my last one. He was always talking down to me like I was an idiot. Life's too short to put up with that. Feeling even better today. Hope everyone else is off to a great start to the week!
Old 11-28-2022, 05:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good move, dear Bob. ❤️
Old 11-28-2022, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats to Self and Runner! Those days continue to pile up for you! Well done!

Bob - congrats on day 3! Glad you are feeling better.

Day 4 for me. No strong urges for me over the weekend so I’m thankful for that. Went to an in-person AA meeting Friday and virtual meetings on Saturday and Sunday. Also went to a virtual SMART meeting. I’m trying to feel out which of these programs I think would be more beneficial to my recovery. I love the convenience of online meetings though it was also cool to go in-person (that was my first in-person meeting ever).

Not much else for me to report. Another busy work day, going to an online meeting today, going to get a meditation session in at my lunch break and am going to focus on the things I can control today and try to keep a grateful mindset. Most importantly, I won’t drink today.

Have a great day all!
Old 11-28-2022, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just caught up after the long weekend. I can't login on my phone for some reason and I didn't open my laptop over the break. A lot going on here.

Welcome to all of the newcomers. So good to see you all.

Bobdrop, I'm glad you are switching doctors. You are right, life is too short to be talked down to like that. Great job on day 3!

RunnerF, me too. I am going to run a half marathon in the spring. There. I said it out loud. Now I need to start training. I'm with you, I'll be 57 in March, so these days I'm recognizing the blessing of being able to move as well as I do. Great job on day 57! I'm grateful for your consistent posts.

Calmself - Day 379 is awesome! - But by the time you read this it is day 380 and that is even better. Have a great week!

Peke - great job! You are sounding much more peaceful, even with your fears. Keep going.

Anna - thanks for the meditation reminder. And for all you do.

Originalname - so glad you are here. I also suffered with a lot of anxiety and panic attacks from drinking. The further I get from the last drink, the better I seem to get. You are in the right place.

Dee - thanks for the new thread and for always being here with great words of wisdom.

Day 50 for me. Grateful for a sober Thanksgiving with family. Had the granddaughters Friday, Saturday and Sunday and now I am worn out. They are a handful. And so much fun.

Have a great Monday, friends. Make it a sober one.
"Nothing matters more than that we remain sober, because when we remain sober, everything matters more. " - Jim Anders
Old 11-28-2022, 06:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post
Congrats to Self and Runner! Those days continue to pile up for you! Well done!

Bob - congrats on day 3! Glad you are feeling better.

Day 4 for me. No strong urges for me over the weekend so I’m thankful for that. Went to an in-person AA meeting Friday and virtual meetings on Saturday and Sunday. Also went to a virtual SMART meeting. I’m trying to feel out which of these programs I think would be more beneficial to my recovery. I love the convenience of online meetings though it was also cool to go in-person (that was my first in-person meeting ever).

Not much else for me to report. Another busy work day, going to an online meeting today, going to get a meditation session in at my lunch break and am going to focus on the things I can control today and try to keep a grateful mindset. Most importantly, I won’t drink today.

Have a great day all!
Glad you are trying new things. You will find what works for you. Great job!
Old 11-28-2022, 06:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Happy Monday. Day nine for me.
Hi Calm!! It’s been so cold where we live!! Brrr. Congratulations on your one year plus status!!
Yay Runner!!
Good plan, Bob. If your pcp isn’t a good fit, then move on.
Hi Bobbi!

They’re calling for snow today. 2/3 Pekes get their dentals today. This is usually very pricey, lol. Their teeth cost more than mine to clean because they have to be sedated. I haven’t told them that they’re going to the dentist yet lol. I love the vet and her staff. I always bring them donuts from our local bakery.

Pain in lower back and lower right abdomen kept me up all night. I will call my pcp today. I couldn’t sleep last night.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

congrats to everyone on their milestones. I’d love to mention everyone by name but I’m on my phone and it’s too difficult to scroll back. Plus I have night brain from working a night shift. A little loopy!!

Peke you asked me about my fear of doctors a couple days again and I cannot thank you enough for doing that because all though I haven’t written it down yet it’s certainly given me a reason to dig through it. Then once again I’m given a sign that this is where I need to be. Bob talked about getting a new practitioner and how he felt talked down to like an idiot. That was my original trauma. I will write more when I’m not on my phone but that was and is the root of my fears.

I just learn so much being in the company of all you wonderful people. Thank you so much.

Jojo
Old 11-28-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

RunnerF, day 57 is great.

Bobdrop, good plan to change your doctor if the one you had was not a good fit.

BassetDog, I'm glad to hear you're on Day 4.

Bobbie, Day 50 is a great accomplishment. Good for you for having the goal to run a half-marathon.

Jojo, I'm glad you're finding comfort here at SR.

Peke, I'm glad you're calling the doctor today.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey all-just dropping by to say hello. All good here.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jojo- that’s a great start! I’m proud of you. Let’s work with this!! Even if you don’t make a plan right now, at least you’re addressing your feelings and your concerns. How are the antibiotics working? Is there any improvement?

I choose to be happy. 😊
Old 11-28-2022, 12:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, it turns out all of you were right. Went to my new Doc. It's another Doctor in the same overall group. As I suspected, my last Doc trashed me in their notes. (Kinda like the Seinfeld episode where Elaine couldn't get away from her medical charts) I saw a little of it on the computer screen. I would get asked specific questions that very much related to problems with the last Doc. At the end, the new one said that I actually seemed like a nice person and she would be happy to be my Doctor. Wow. My suspicions about him were true. Anyway, glad that is over and behind me.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day one. I am ready to really give it a go again. I will check in often. Time to get a new routine in place, that has aways been key in the past.