Old 07-30-2022, 04:35 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Administrator

no more FINE than normal tho, right?

D
Old 07-30-2022, 04:47 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
p***enger

I been way worse. Basically if we're on SR, we've probably all been worse, right?

Old 07-30-2022, 04:54 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Administrator

true

D
Old 07-31-2022, 06:44 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Good stuff, Courage! Self-acceptance has been a battle for me, but the more I just "let it be" it seems the happier I am (or something like that!).
Old 08-01-2022, 06:04 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

FBL hit it on the head as always. Self acceptance is always a struggle for alcoholics. That's one of the reasons why we drank. I think having a new baby in the family will change the overall dynamics between you and your son Courage. Once I had kids, I understood a little better the attitudes and decisions made by my parents. Not that I necessarily agree with them, even to this day, but I know they tried. I hope your son will realize, despite all that you have faced in your life, that you tried to be the best and that you can still spread love. Being a grandparent affords you the ability to pick and choose the quality of your family time a little more. You don't have to be the disciplinarian and lead diaper changer. Your grand child will benefit from your life experiences that you will share over their lifetime. I think many folks become better grandparents than they ever were as parents. Call it experience? Wisdom?

I did a concert road trip for the first time in a while. Went to Merriweather Post Pavilion between Baltimore and DC to see Phish for the 26th time over 30 years. The lead singer/guitarist Trey Anastasio has been very publicly sober since 2006, and the band is playing as well as ever. There is also a sober meetup between sets for fans who need it, just like the Wharf Rats of Grateful Dead lore. It was a great time, and worth the 250 mile roadtrip!

FBL, I am glad that you have stepped up in responsibility at your job. Now is the opportunity for you to show how your many years of hard work and knowledge will enable you to step into the shoes of an industry legend. Though saddened by the loss of your boss, I am happy for the empty palette life is putting in front of you at this time. To mix metaphors, I know you will knock it out of the park!

Take care all!
Old 09-09-2022, 11:27 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Yo, how is everyone doing? Can't believe it is nearly official fall now. Up in front of the computer ahead of a 4:00 am shift.

I had a great run of five concerts in nineteen days over three states. It was a blissful stretch for me. It so reminded me of my younger days trying to follow the Grateful Dead around during the summer. Going to work with two hours of sleep after a concert is a lot easier when one doesn't drink for sure!

Courage, how is school playing out for you this fall? Are you shopping at the local new supermarket by you often? I hear it has become one of the top stores in the city already.

FBL, I that Fran is doing better which is good news. How is the latest project going with all the tumult that has occurred this summer following Joel's passing? I hope both you and your mother are doing well.

I finally did one of those genetic tests that abound these days. I was surprised to find that I was 62% German and Belgium heritage, and less than 32% from the United Kingdom. I assumed those percentages would have been reversed according to family lore. I am also 2% Neanderthal, which perhaps excuses some of my more boorish behavior over the years, lol.

Have a good weekend all!
Old 09-10-2022, 07:35 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey sg, nice to see your post.

Five in nineteen is quite a feat. Who's still good out there?

I'm on sabbatical this semester. I tried to postpone it, but the request was denied -- the admin wants to see as little of me as possible. Basically sabbatical means I don't have to teach. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have to do committee meetings either, but the consequences of the explosions we set off last spring have now reached the top of the institution & the lawyers. So I have to show up at these strange meetings and kind of "testify."

Had a big meetup with daughter-in-law-mother-of-future-granddaughter and kind of figured out how to get along with her, which is just not to act natural. Not actually fake, but nice-nice. So that's squared away for the time being.

sg, your store is doing *huge* business. I was there on Labor Day and the line was piling up through 3 aisles of merchandise (and kept very well organized by staff, btw).

FBL, how are you? What's it like taking on more leadership at work? Putting any of your own ideas in the works?
Old 09-12-2022, 05:21 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My current book project is nearing completion. We will start taking orders soon. Not sure how well it will do as it's based on a publication that only hardcore radio people really cared about. I'm hoping that our company's name and reputation will sell it to our customers. My next project is Volume 2 of our flagship book and the last one Joel worked on before his death. It's strange not having him around, but also takes the pressure off in a lot of ways.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:30 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
p***enger

Are you getting many orders, FBL? Fingers crossed for you <3

sgb, are you affected much by SAD this year? Are you getting any sunny days?
Old 10-04-2022, 04:35 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks, Courage. Orders have been flying in...looks like a winner! The new boss is looking it over and once she's done with it, it'll go to the printer.

Otherwise, things are smooth sailing in my world.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:36 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great to hear FBL! I am happy the company seems to have made a smooth transition during such personal turmoil.

Courage, I just started taking an antidepressant designed for SAD this week. I take it fall through early spring, then drop it, as per my doctor. It helps to prevent those dreaded depression spirals and thoughts of drinking.

How is your sabbatical going? Are you missing teaching in person?

Take care all!
Old 10-04-2022, 11:31 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
p***enger

Glad to hear good news from both of you!

I still go in to work on research & writing every day to a secret space where no one looks for me, but there are no meetings (except to keep a hand in on the explosion here that never stops exploding) or teaching, and I don't miss either one. Trying to attain a distance that can be sustained until I retire.

Hi Dee!
Old 10-04-2022, 01:05 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Courage
Good luck with the research and continued flying under the radar!

D
Old 11-24-2022, 08:49 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
p***enger

Happy Thanksgiving, POSTers!

Old 11-24-2022, 09:29 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you had a good day Courage

D
Old 11-25-2022, 03:37 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope all had a good day. I spent the previous two days keeping the floral section in my store filled with the hundreds of cases I ordered. Back at it today, but at a quieter level.

Best wishes all!
Old 11-25-2022, 04:29 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Had a nice, relaxing Turkey Day.

Sadly, Fran is back in the hospital.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:30 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that FBL.

D
Old 11-27-2022, 06:20 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
p***enger

FBL, I hope she's getting good care. How are you holding up? You've had a lot on your hands since the boss died.

sg, being surrounded with flowers sounds kinda nice I hope you didn't get caught in a stampede. I went out west to see my some family, catch some sun, and stargaze. You chose a good username, imo.

Dee, how are you?

All's well at my end. The volcano erupted, and the earth quaked, and there were lots of after-tremors and so on, and I think my colleagues and I are just about settled down for the next decade of seething (but suppressed) animosity. We all wore togas and pounded on tables, and I wrote a self-righteous jeremiad, simply a) to annoy people, and ii) because I'm a full professor and I can. Now no one wants to talk to me, which is quite pleasant.

At home, husband and I are getting along swell when we're not screaming and sobbing, and our son, his wife, and the baby-to-be are perfectly friendly as long as we don't see one another.

Someone told me yesterday that our lives are practicing for eternity. Who knows if we'll ever know eternity, but I know I practiced for my idea of hell for most of 50 years, and got reasonably good at it. So I'm doing something different now, and if I have no idea what it is, that just means I still can learn.

muchas smoochas!

Old 11-27-2022, 06:58 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm ok thanks Courage - had some recent falls but getting back to full health now
I'm glad you escaped unscathed through all and any volcanic activity
D