Old 04-06-2022, 04:08 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

15 years is an amazing achievement Dee!
Old 04-06-2022, 05:28 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Dee! Thanks for all you do at SR.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:07 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm 59 hours before takeoff to London and Rome. Before that all I have to do is survive 2 days at work, including at least one standup performance in front of a Committee with a capital C. I did one (plus an encore) last week in front of a lesser-ranking but more-hostile capital C, and 15 minutes afterward I got so weak I almost fainted on the sidewalk of Lexington Ave and ended up vomiting in the gutter. As my sister said, now I'm a real New Yorker. When I was a drunk, I once vomited in a paper bag on a bus, and once in a kind of little corner outside a building, but never before in a gutter, that I can remember. Good times!

58 hours and 48 minutes!
Old 04-11-2022, 06:51 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks guys

those capital Committees must be rough Cour.

D
Old 04-11-2022, 07:40 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
p***enger

It's kind of appalling to ask people to take my words seriously when I have little confidence in the truth or importance of what I have to say. If my ego were stronger, or I had a stronger sense of justice, I guess it would be easier. On the other hand, when I'm not actually having to speak the words, my years of drinking probably help me, because I'm less invested than others in the outcomes of these professional battles. I know my priorities.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:12 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be hard to deliver things you dont necessarily believe in, but have to job wise, if that’s what you mean.

D
Old 04-12-2022, 05:41 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

What Dee said is on point. I am not certain how strongly you believe in your case and how much you are a performer acting out your expected role of your job. You seem to be taking it pretty hard if you are attempting the fake it to you make it route. It is very scary to actually be able to say what you want to say when you are enmeshed in the power structure. There are huge consequences if you misplay your hand.

I hope you have a great time hopping around Europe!

Old 04-27-2022, 07:30 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm baaaack! Europe-hopping was great. Now I'm googling "ostracized at work," and my friend & colleague is half-joking about suing over defamation. Fun times! You may wonder, "courage, you're the one who doesn't care about or value anything, why are you all riled up about your ****ing job?" The truth is that I still don't care much, but said friend & colleague does, and she has far better judgment and character than I, so I've kinda sworn to back her.

Something I learned in AA, and these forums: Some of us drunks (obviously) don't have good sense. So if you're like me, and don't, and you find someone who really does: follow.

How are the rest of you all?
Old 04-27-2022, 09:51 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm good thanks Cour - great to see you back

D
Old 04-28-2022, 06:00 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad you had a good time Europe hopping Courage!

How long do you foresee yourself working at your current job? That dictates how much bs you can and need to put up with, in my opinion. It's no fun working in a toxic work environment. Are you tenured at your current post or can you investigate other educational avenues? Follow your friend but not blindly so.

Best wishes all!
Old 04-28-2022, 01:52 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
p***enger

sg, 8-10 more years. I'm tenured and my profile isn't of such prestige that another institution would swoop me up. At my rank and 16 years in one spot, I'm not very marketable. I started looking for side hustles -- it's either make $ on the side so I can retire sooner, or take a lot of long weekends but work more years to afford them.

You wrote a while ago
I am hoping to wrap up this stage of my work career in three or four years, then do something of my choosing to close things out.
Sounds beautiful. Care to share any thoughts about "your choosing"?

FBL, what's floating your boat these days? Are you still very active with the facebook recovery work? I really admire how you've continued to grow (or shrink, with the weight loss) as your recovery matures. Tips appreciated, please.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:56 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I don't know what lies ahead for me, but I continually feel nudges that a purpose will avail itself to me down the line. If I had a job that I enjoyed like FBL does his, it wouldn't feel like work.

What kind of side hustles are you looking for? Tutoring would be a natural choice for you. Are there other fields of endeavor?

How is the book progressing FBL? Have you gotten any disc golf in yet?

Have a good day all!
Old 04-29-2022, 04:27 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Things are rolling along in my world. Went to the eye doctor for a follow-up this past Monday and FINALLY my 3 year nightmare is over! He did give me a new eyeglasses prescription, but said if I was comfortable not wearing glasses, then I should probably just continue. Basically, my left eye is 20/20 for close vision and my right eye (the one that gave me all the issues) is now 20/20 for distance, so between both eyes I now have one perfect one, LOL!

As for my current book project, I now have about 3 weeks left of the research phase before I can start running print-outs for editing. So, still a ways to go yet. Three weeks from today, I'll be sitting in on a radio show in Minnesota. The host is a big fan of our books, so I'm sure he'll have lots of questions for me. He plays music from 1955-1990, so it'll be fun to co-host for a few hours. I'm an old radio guy and I always love getting back on the air from time-to-time.

I'm still fairly active in my FB recovery group. I no longer host a regular meeting, but I still fill-in as host when others can't make it. I still attend the Saturday morning meeting that I used to host. It's kinda like I never really left. My recovery is now a way of life, as I think it should be. Sure beats the old way, for sure.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:20 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am happy your eye situation has been resolved FBL.

Good to see you are well on your way to completing another book project. How has your Mom been doing?

Have a good weekend all!
Old 04-30-2022, 07:34 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
p***enger

Great posts, sg & FBL --
FBL, I echo sg's thoughts on your and your mom.

For side gigs, I'm looking into consulting. Hoping to find the right person with an established client list to partner with, so I don't have to start from scratch.

On recovery-related news, I had dinner the other night with someone I hadn't seen since 2005. We reconnected because I have a dead profile on LinkedIn -- how odd! Anyway, she had drinks, and I didn't, and we talked a very little bit about how our disconnection coincided with the road to my bottom, and changes in her life.
She asked me if it was hard to give up drinking!!

All I could say was, "Very!"
Old 05-02-2022, 05:25 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Mom is doing pretty good these days. I'll be visiting her on her 85th birthday (May 21) as part of my Minnesota trip.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:22 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi Guys,

Been here on SR for a while but just discovered this thread, some very interesting stuff.

I’ve always been big on side hustles. My first attempt at sobriety in 2009 got me into music production, it was part of my recovery plan.

Sobriety didn’t last long then but the music stayed and I’m now close to finishing my first album, doing it all myself.

stargazer - I think you are on to something with finding this purpose, connection, whatever it is. I had a crazy experience last year which finally gave me the courage I needed to leave my corporate career so I can get some of that purpose from work. This means another side hustle as I ll start studying to become a therapist.

Sobriety has been essential for both these things. The music went on and off over the years, mainly due to how much I was or wasn’t drinking at any given point. I’ve been sober almost 5 months now, so early days but it feels solid, and I think finding that purpose was both helped by and will keep helping with sobriety.

Looking forward to getting to know more about everyone here as time goes by.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:38 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread MrPL

D
Old 05-02-2022, 08:47 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I’m enjoying catching up on everyone’s posts.

Courage - Glad the trip to Europe was successful and is over! I have lots of experience navigating office politics landmines. If people could put as much effort into work as they do making power plays…

sg - Glad to hear you’re enjoying the process of searching for meaning. I agree that’s half the fun!

FBL - Glad to hear your eyes are healthy, and that you’re enjoying the sober routine.

MrPL - Welcome! It’s nice to get to meet new people in recovery.

I just wrapped up 4 months in my new role at work. I’ve been learning a lot, working on a different side of projects, and getting to know new people. With the pressure of a new job, I’m grateful that I don’t drink.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:44 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome, Mr. PL! I'm a big believer in doing what you love for a living. I realize how lucky I am to be working my dream job for 30+ years now. I hope to never retire.