Notices

Class of May 2020 part 16

Old 10-11-2021, 01:24 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I hope your work week goes well Karen! I’m working all if this week, and I’m tired already and it’s only Tuesday lol. I’m trying to squeeze in a little exercise before work each day, but getting out of bed early enough to do it is a real challenge. After work isn’t an option as I’m exhausted. Ok, here goes, it’s nearly 6.30am and I have to start getting ready at 7 to get to work on time, so I’m off to drag myself onto a yoga mat lol.

How’s your Dad doing WL?
Old 10-11-2021, 06:34 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving, TC! Belated. I hope it was great.
I should be doing exercise before work, too. I just hope I can get through the day!
I'm going to bed early these days, like a granny!, but it helps a lot with the energy.
Hugs and happy day, night to all.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I go to bed early too, usually about 8 or 9pm latest. I don’t know how I’ll stay up for social events now lol 😂
Old 10-12-2021, 04:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

No change in my father's status. Suffering from Sepsis and alcohol withdrawal simultaneously did a lot of damage. There was signs of cirrhosis of the liver. Still shocked his drinking got so bad since dad dropped me off at rehab 10 years ago and was counseling me during the long drive. Retirement, my mother's death, and the pandemic have combined for my father to turn to alcohol I'm sure. He was always fatalistic and refused to ever see a doctor despite being a doctor himself.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doctors are often the worst patients.
I'm sorry its been such a shock for you WL.

D
Old 10-12-2021, 06:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Very true Dee. They don't like reversing the roles to patient.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Free.

WL I think you’re right about the contributing factors weighing upon your dad.
We all try to keep a stiff upper lip. Often to our own detriment. The pandemic has been hard.

For me, though I wasn’t willing to admit, the pandemic affected me quite a lot. At one point I was scared to go to work. I quizzed my boss and his boss about why we were bringing students together.

I hope you can see your dad regularly, perhaps becoming a shoulder he can lean on.

Have a good night/ day my sober friends.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm on my morning dash to get ready and thought of all of you. Only a moment to spare, but wishing you all the very best sober day.
So sorry WL, that is so hard!
I'm glad I'm not the only one keeping granny hours. It is kind of nice in a way, though.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
nmd

Been keeping up with everyone's posts on my phone, but posting is kind of awkward. Happy belated Thanksgiving TC&WL!

I'm early to bed and early to rise as well Karen. I try to stay up to watch some shows but I usually fall asleep 5 minutes in

It was a busy weekend with family visiting and dealing some health issues with the in-laws. I didn't get around to cutting my lawn, and my neighbor cut our front lawn last night. I'm not sure if I should interpret that as an act of friendliness or annoyance on his part, it wasn't that overgrown. It was a little strange, but I'll thank him when I see him next. He's usually cutting his lawn daily and it can be comical if it's not when we are eating dinner on the deck. We think it's his way of getting away from his family drama

Sorry it's been such a rough time with your Dad WL.

nmd I was wondering how you get your pumpkins so big. Do you give them super dooper fertiliser?
I use chicken manure and a bunch of fertilizers, but It's the seed really. If the parent plant produced giant fruit, you have the best chances. Giants are a different species as well - cucurbita maxima. Jack-o-lanterns are cucurbita pepo, same as zucchini, acorn squash, and a bunch of other squash.

Have a good day friends!
Old 10-13-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Free.

Hi all.

I have a hundred things I’d like to accomplish today. (6 or 7 really)
I’m gonna choose to be happy accomplishing two things.
I’m well fed, well rested.
I’ll set up my work area, be sure to have some drinking water around. Steel toe, safety glasses. Proceed.

Basically, I’m hoping to slow my excitement a bit and proceed calmly and happily.

I started building a ceiling in a small area downstairs where one was never built. I put some framing up just to learn how terribly crooked and untrue all the surfaces are. I’m a carpenter with 30+ years in. This little ceiling is going to employ nearly every skill I can muster.
It is inset (recessed) so scribing my finish to fit won’t be an option. Several measurements and maybe a cardboard scribed template…..
anyway, last night rather than continue and drive myself angry, I gathered my tools, swept the floor, relaxed a few minutes then went to an AA meeting.
I’ll approach the ceiling project witha healthy mind. That should help.

I have strair treads to replace on 3 outdoor stairs. I have some landscape/ zero scape to try to accomplish before the snow arrives (snow forecast for tomorrow).
I’d like to list my car and little dirt bike for sale.

Much to do.

Be well friends!

Sobriety first, the rest will follow.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:06 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Oooh TC once you get your projects done, I have a bunch of projects you could come and do at my place My partner is a carpenter too, but he has so many partly done projects around the house that I wouldn’t know where to start. Some he started more than 5 years ago
The ceiling sounds quite tricky, but you will feel such a sense of accomplishment with it.
We have a hole in our ceiling that was created when a water pipe burst a few years ago and my partner cut a hole to access it. I’m sure it will get fixed one day, along with the other things

We have chickens nmd and I agree, the manure is great fertiliser

WL I really feel for you with what you’re going through with your Dad, it must be very difficult for you

Karen I hope work is going well.
I’m still trying to fit a little exercise into each day. Yesterday it was only 10 minutes, but that’s better than nothing! Have a good day guys
Old 10-13-2021, 05:42 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Free.

Yeah, haha, Willow, a couple of these projects are ones that I’ve been ‘planning toward’ for 2 or 3 years…..
Now that I’m well I’m enjoying the rewards of getting a few things done.

Today is my non-meeting night so I think I’ll relax, have a bath, watch a show, have some device time.

Good evening/afternoon everyone.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

The week is going pretty good, Willow, Thanks.
Good to hear from you, Nmd. We don't see enough of you.
I just came to check in and read posts. I'm up too late.
I hope you all have a good day, night.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
nmd

I could use your carpentry skills TC building a new chicken run. We had a mink make an appearance over the weekend and we lost a few of our hens. :-( The rest are safe in the coop for now, the windows have hardware cloth (quarter inch holes) and the doors are latched. Mink can fit through a one inch hole and this is my first realization we have them in my area. They will just kill indiscriminately, so luckily it happened on the weekend and I was able to scare it away. (They are really good climbers too). I need to build a covered "outdoor run" wrapped in hardware cloth, no holes even up but the roof line. My old run was just garden fencing zip tied together which was fine to keep out racoons, hawks and coyotes, but not one of these little weasel like killers.

I feel guilty because I should have known better, but there's not much I can do now. I built our coop, so it shouldn't be too bad, but it will probably take me a full weekend and lumber which isn't very cheap right now.

Garage door guy is coming today to replace the spings, it will be nice to have the fixed at least

Sorry I've posted infrequently. I usually logon every couple days at least, a lot more than I post, I just don't always feel I have anything worth sharing. I check off the thanks on posts I've read but more times than I can count I've fallen asleep before bed before I finish posting anything. :-D

Have a great sober day guys
Old 10-14-2021, 08:34 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Free.

Good morning all.

nmd, a 1/2” hole will keep a mink out, but likely not a Least Weasel. They are the smallest ones. I’ve heard of many people reducing to the 1/4” product for those critters.
Would a bantam rooster win with it’s daggers?

The actual wood construction of the shed is maybe the failing point. Spaces around doors. Spaces where your rafters meet the wall. Even spaces where your siding laps can provide access.
You may have to become a falconer.

Cool and rainy here overnight. Had it dropped a few more degrees would’ve been a snowfall event.
I have some exterior stairs to rebuild. Luckily I can detach them and rebuild them in my garage.

I emptied my garage into the yard yesterday in order to seal the concrete before winter. Was a great idea until it RAINED.
I was out in the dark covering the hoard with poly. It worked really well except a pair of moccasins I had placed on the deck and didn’t notice at night. They are going to be tight for a while.
They are authentic, indigenous-made, leather moccasins that my wife got made for me a few years back. I’ll have to condition them back to health somehow. Does anyone have a good process for this?

Have a decent, sober, day all.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:29 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My dad is not going to die anytime soon but he will be in his worst nightmare. Mentally and physically incapacitated in a nursing home just wasting away until death. Both my parents always mentioned that would be their worst fear. My grandmother had dementia and spent the last 2 years at the end of her life being spoon-fed and staring out the window.

The thought of my dad dying that way is what really keeps me up at night. He would prefer to be euthanized but I know that's not an option. He may miraculously recover his mental facilities but I still don't see him living more than 6 months.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I’m sorry to hear that about your Dad WL It’s so sad when people are no longer able to look after themselves. Hopefully he will regain some quality in his life for his remaining time, but sadly I know not everyone has good quality of life towards their end

nmd I’m sorry about your chickens Those mink and weasels must be sneaky little things to squeeze into those small gaps. Snakes are our main predator here. My sister sadly lost a chicken to a python and we lost a cat to a python. We were devastated. It didn’t get through the mesh but squeezed under the timber framework against the brick pavers. We had a “safe” outdoor cat enclosure off the house that obviously wasn’t safe enough

TC it rained here last night too! Yippee When I first read your post I thought it said you put all your garbage out in the yard and I was thinking, what on earth is TC up to doing that, making landfill to raise the concrete level? Then I read it properly I hope the moccasins recover.

TGIF! I’m so tired, we’ve been short staffed at work all week and insanely busy! And I am so glad I only have today to work and then it’s the weekend and we’re heading out to our bush block tonight for a couple of nights.
Karen you must be tired too. I think it’s maybe Thursday night where you are. It’s Fri morning and I’m off to work.

Have a good weekend Maysters
Old 10-14-2021, 04:49 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was taught to stuff wet shoes with paper or tissue to draw out the moisture and help keep their shape.
Some sort of conditioning shoe cream will help after that?

D
Old 10-14-2021, 05:25 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
The actual wood construction of the shed is maybe the failing point.
disregard all text relating to above line.

Sorry nmd, I misread your post.
The chickens are safe in the coop, but not so much, in the run. I get it now.
Yes, a person can build quite the nice run with hardware cloth. Sounds like a good project.

Karen, I hope work is treating you well. Hope you are getting good rest.

Willow, same, hope you can get some rest and rejuvenation.

Dee, I think I’ll head out there shortly and stuff those shoes. That’s a really good idea.

WL, the rules on “doctor assisted dying” will be eased somewhat in March of next year.

I looked into the euthanasia rules when feeling powerless in my addiction.
I’m quite ok with becoming a hallmark (euthanasia) case due to alcoholism if recovery evades me.

Anyway… today is good.

30 days sober today.

Not without temptation, but with more action toward wellness now.

Have a good thing peeps.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:48 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope it helps TC