Notices

Class of May 2020 part 16

Old 10-14-2021, 09:32 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Odd coincidence for me in that Bill Clinton is in hospital with the exact same condition as my dad. Sepsis that started with a Urinary Tract Infection. They are the same age too pretty much and have heart conditions. Although, I'm quite sure Bill Clinton is not an alcoholic and didn't delay seeking medical attention like my father.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Free.

Restful day. I’ve done almost nothing.
Saw the doctor earlier, been relaxing since.

Hope you day is good.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:41 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

WL, I'm so sorry about your dad. That is a hard place to be in, for both of you. Is he on hospice care? Working in nursing homes, I noticed that the ones on hospice did the best. They get more care, better pain management and spiritual care as well. I'm thinking of you both and sending positive vibes.
I have been so tired. Today is my one day off, I'm back at it tomorrow. I'm not sure how long I can keep this up, honestly. I may have to find a less active job. I would hate that, but as things are is not good. It's a big adjustment to the residents to have a new activity person, too, so they are giving me hell. It's like the kids in elementary school who are mean to the new kids. I can get past that, I know it will be better soon, it's the exhaustion that is probably not going to just go away. Vitamins, water, healthy food and early to bed. It may be my stamina will improve. Thanks for caring!
Nmd, so sorry about your hens. That would be tough. Don't feel bad, you felt you had them in a safe place. I hope your solution is easy and effective.
Willow, Thank God its Saturday! There is rest for the weary after all. I can't imagine having pythons as a natural animal in your environment. Sounds terrifying! We do have rattle snakes, but honestly I've never seen one. There was a dead snake in the road and my daughter-in-law, Merry, said it was a copper head. But I don't know. Snakes are just awful all around.
I'm grateful that as tired as I've been, I haven't been having strong drinking thoughts. It crosses my mind on the way home from work, but more as an old habit. I come home and have a big glass of grapefruit juice with lots of ice. My new addiction, and it's much better, even though it is a lot of calories.
TC, sorry about your moccasins, I'm glad everything else made it, though. So good to hear you're recovery is going well. You are much too young for euthenasia.
Lots of love to all.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:50 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Karen ~ I think it must be exhausting working so full on again.....it is going to take a bit of time to get used to for sure. s
Old 10-16-2021, 06:54 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Free.

Quick check-in. I’m awfully tired.

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:18 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Free.

This is my 33rd day sober!

I hope to relax today. I’ve been throwing myself into so many projects lately. After 8 or 10 days of it I’m sore and creaky.

If it warms up a bit I’d like to do a bit of fishing.

I hope your sober day is warm, peaceful, and rewarding.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:04 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
nmd

congrats on 33days TC! A relaxing day and fishing sounds great

Thanks Willow and Karen. It was really sad losing hens, especially the younger ones. I tried catching the mink in a no-kill trap, but no luck so far. Our hens are too "chicken" to go outside once it snows, so they are ok in the coop for a while anyways. I can't imagine having pythons. :-O Venomous snakes are pretty rare here, and generally shy- copperhead and some rattlesnakes, but I've never seen one. I only know about the rattlesnakes because when I was younger I used to go rock climbing at the rattlesnake conservation area in southern Ontario

Karen, hopefully the residents stop giving you a hard time. My wife works with disabled adults, presently one with autism, and it is very taxing work. It takes a special kind of person to do that job I think

WL, I remember my Grandfather saying something similar, that he would never want to end up in "a home", but he developed Alzheimer's late in life and that was the only option. The positive thing with his dementia, was he also forgot any shame he would have had being in a nursing home. He forgot he smoked a pipe his whole life. He forgot a lot of his racist beliefs. Dementia is terrible, but he had a few good years and a decent quality of life before he passed. It was kind of a second childhood until the disease progressed further.

Hopefully your Dad can at least be comfortable and have a good quality of life. It doesn't always work out that way, some people in nursing homes don't do well, but it's not always bad and there is hope.

Hoping everyone is having a great relaxing Sunday
Old 10-17-2021, 07:58 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Free.

Hope your day is good nmd.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:11 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Just a quick hello as it’s Monday morning and I’m off to work shortly.
We had a good weekend away, got a temporary water tank hooked up to the roof to collect rain. We couldn’t do the big water tank because my partner needed a bigger spanner than he had, but at least now if it rains we can collect some rain water

Well done on 33 days TC! That’s over a month!

I hit 5 months on Saturday and I’m very grateful. I still have big AV moments and I’m just going to have to keep at it, one day at a time. I hope the AV moments get less frequent and less strong with time. I don’t know that they’ll ever completely go away, but as TC said, we have to keep working it.

Karen I’m thinking it will take time to adjust, both for you with the unaccustomed activity and the residents with a new person. And if you can’t manage it, that’s ok too. Maybe talk to your boss/friend about it? Maybe you can do less days? Or job share with someone perhaps? I’m back to my 3 days a week this week, which I’m very grateful for, but I’ve already agreed to do extra work on one of my days “off” this week. I’m not very good at saying no… But I have already decided to not work at all Friday! I need a day to catch up on chores 🤷‍♀️

WL I hope there’s some good care available for your Dad

nmd it’s very sad when we lose animals, including chickens. And especially when it’s traumatic like that. One of my old hens is getting really old. She’s super friendly and it will be sad when her time comes.

We have lots of snakes here big pythons that swallow things like chickens and cats. Plus the nasty deadly venomous ones like coastal taipans and brown snakes. Ugggh. I’m not a fan…

Anyway, off to work!

hi Suze & Dee and everyone else here
Old 10-17-2021, 06:49 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Free.

Didn’t fish. Worked on a stair project in the back yard.
Was sunny and sheltered.
I enjoyed it. The new stair will be so much nicer than the eyesore that the previous guy DIYed. Gross.
It was rewarding.
Maybe I can fish a bit tomorrow.

Have a good evening all.
Happy lunch Aussies.

Cheers.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:59 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

My dad thinks he is on a cruise ship so I am a little relieved that he isn't self-aware of being stuck in a hospital room all day. Delirium is reversible but each patient is unique. Could take 6 months or it may not happen at all. No prognosis can be given yet. He's now been in hospital for a month. When this is all over, I will go on a very long trip and try to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

Hope everyone is well!
Old 10-18-2021, 02:35 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

WL, there's a kind of sad but funny joke amongst long-term care workers that if we ever get dementia, we hope we think we are on vacation and not at work. I hope your dad is doing as well as possible, and I hope you are, too.
My residents seem to be warming up to me some. That is a big relief. And, I talked to my boss and only work three days this week, five next week, then he said he'll keep it at four as much as possible. So nice.
You're right, it is an adjustment, and I'll keep taking good care of myself and will do fine. I'm so grateful, really. I just don't do tired well, I get cranky.
It's beautiful weather here. How is everyone doing?
Old 10-18-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Enjoying the beautiful weather, but tired and cranky as well

Very glad your work week will be adjustable love. And of course the residents are warming up to you. s ❤️
Old 10-18-2021, 04:37 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I’ve been tired and cranky too. Maybe it’s the moon? 🤔
Old 10-18-2021, 04:42 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Oh yes!!! The full moon is in two days. ❤️
Old 10-18-2021, 05:06 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Yep I reckon that’s it ❤️
Old 10-18-2021, 05:17 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Free.

I’ve been off the mark too. Some crabbiness. Some swearing while working on things.
Since many of us are crabby, I agree, must be the moon.

Highs of 43 to 50F over the next dozen days. As low as 21F (-6C) for a nighttime low. Coat weather.
I might not get all of my fall projects done. Not too worried, such is life.

Hope we can all get centred again and enjoy the cruise on the sober bus!

Old 10-18-2021, 05:46 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hue hugs dear TC.....and for everyone xx ❤️
Old 10-18-2021, 11:01 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Free.

To you too venus.

G’night everyone.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:26 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hugs to you, too, Venus!
It could be the moon! Also, I heard tonight is one of the best nights of the year for watching for shooting stars. Maybe they are interfering with our contentment moonbeams. I thought it was funny, what I heard that William Shatner said about going up in space; "The earth is not flat, I checked.'. Of course, all the flat earth conspiracy folks will just say that he was in on it all along.
Lots of chores today. I'm up early, feeling good and ready for a beautiful day.