Notices

Class of May 2020 part 16

Old 12-18-2021, 05:37 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
:-D

The problem I have is all of my TV is through streaming apps these days. There's not a standard interface for managing any of them, each app that runs on a roku/appletv/firestick is it's own software and the roku/etc/ itself is a mini computer with it's own OS. By design, you can't record anything from streaming, and you are at their mercy to control things like volume and closed captioning.

The best I can think of is to run external speakers and have some sort of advanced audio control between the audio source and speakers. Someone I "zoom" with is an audiophile and likes to run his computer audio through and old tube amp. Works great until he forgets to warm it up before a meeting :-)

Commercials have the volume jacked up intentionally, and I've noticed some programs or apps have a different baseline volume so it requires a constant adjustment. I agree though, it would be a great feature of streaming devices (or tvs) to be able to regulate that within a range.
I can record whatever I want from streaming. Just saying. xx

And the mute button is my friend.

And hello dear nmd ❤️
Old 12-18-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
nmd

Glad you got your internet sorted out WL.

It back to snowing here after the wind storms and extreme warm weather last week. It's actually quite pretty outside with a light dusting

Hi Suze!
Old 12-18-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Free.

I just caught up. Love all of your perspectives on the t.v. thing. If I’m quick with the mute button all is good. (much less so when wife is yielding the remote).

Willow, I’m glad your Christmas ‘do’ went well. I hope you had some memorable moments.

I had a Christmas lunch with coworkers. It was good.

I’ll work Monday, then off for 10 days or so. Wife and I will be doing some painting and flooring. Will probably be making an entrance built-in for the back door area too. I’m actually hoping to buy a piece that works there instead of having to build it. Kristi has a plan. Normally if she oversees design and I build, surprisingly, it goes well.

It’ll be darned cold here for a stretch according to the forecast.

Off to read a couple of chapters. I want to continue to be mindful of being sober, so reading keeps me centred a bit.

Happy Holidays!!

Old 12-18-2021, 01:47 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Glad you enjoyed the Christmas lunch TC
We have a work Christmas lunch next week. I’m working all week, then off for a couple of weeks, which I’m really looking forward to
Old 12-19-2021, 01:10 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Free.

Into my 21st day sober.
I get an anxiety pang (feels like a heart palpitation) four or five times a day. Might just be the nature of the beast. Not sure.
Off to grab my med Rx, one has run out. Might contribute to the anxiety pangs. I don’t know.

Will be shopping for paint also.
I’m tired.

Cheers.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:14 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Good idea to get the meds TC, maybe it will help.

One more week of work then holidays! Yay!

Have a good day/night everyone
Old 12-20-2021, 01:34 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit flat today maybe it’s the lead up to Christmas, I’m not sure. Maybe I’m just tired.
AV thoughts floating around but I am not going to act on them. I might go to bed early and try to get a good long sleep.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:45 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
nmd

I got a fitbit that came with the health program I'm doing and spent a bit of time yesterday tinkering with it. I definitely don't sleep enough. :-D I need to get to bed around 9/9:30 because I get up so early if I want to get a full nights sleep. It's pretty cool to see all of the charts of sleep cycles and resting heart rate though.

TC- maybe your anxiety pang really was a heart palpitation? I used to have them much more frequently when drinking heavily (not to mention acid reflux and a whole host of other issues). I did a 24hour holter test and a stress test and the results came back showing I had a type of palpitation that wasn't dangerous. On the flip side, for a few years, my wife mistook her anxiety for vertigo. It's weird how physical and phycological stuff can go hand in hand.
I hope your meds help though. Don't work too hard on your holiday!

Off to have a little breakfast and run
Old 12-20-2021, 04:44 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Free.

I hope work is going well this week Willow. Holidays soon.

nmd, will seek to follow your lead a bit on healthfulness. (a bit).
Once I get this lower abdomen pain answered and sorted. I’m thinking it would be nice to get on the recumbent bike and firm up a bit. My core, if you will, is pretty soft. I haven’t done anything physically taxing from a while.
I do carpentry and chainsaw work sometimes, so not totally inactive I suppose.

I hope everyone is feeling good heading into the holidays.

Maybe Dig will check in soon. Hope our other members will pop back in too.

Hi venus and D as well.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:07 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hi ❤️

I go to bed around 9/9.30 every night.....I tried to stay up later the first year or two after I got married but I was miserable. I need 9 hours sleep to stay healthy body and mind, and I get up around 7....a bit harder when it is -5C, nothing for Canada and the US but Willow and Dee will be like
Old 12-20-2021, 12:28 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Omg -7????? Suze, that’s not compatible with human life, let alone getting out of bed

I go to bed about 9 and get up about 6, but it’s light at 5 in summer (now) so I’m often awake earlier.

I’m thinking a fitbit would be a handy gadget to have nmd. I wouldn’t mind one myself
It might encourage me to exercise more

TC work is busy in the lead up to Christmas, but the time flies! It’s so good not having a stressful job, even when it’s busy, it doesn’t do my head in like my old high stress (and higher paid) job. I get less money now but the reduction in pay is offset by the reduction in stress and anxiety and drinking triggers for me

And speaking of work…. Hi ho hi ho…. See you all later x
Old 12-20-2021, 04:19 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Free.

Holidays!!
Old 12-20-2021, 08:38 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Yay for holidays TC! Only a couple more days for me
Old 12-21-2021, 01:21 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

What are you doing for your holidays TC?
Old 12-21-2021, 03:26 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Horrible time to be suffering depression. The loneliness is getting to me. My father has been moved to a long-term care home but likely not allowed to visit because of the new variant of Covid19.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry WL. T his virus is no respecter of holidays or families.
Even tho we may not have the Xmas we want we can still commit to not drinking tho - it hasn't worked in the past, won't work now.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:35 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

WL I hope your Dad can be comfortable. And hopefully your antidepressant medication kicks in soon.
Dee’s right, drinking won’t help anything. I keep reminding myself of that.
No matter how crap I happen to be feeling on any particular day, drinking will only add to it, making me feel even worse afterwards, so it’s not worth it.

Every single day I remind myself that drinking is not a viable option.
Day 220 today.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:46 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

next part here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-17-a.html (Class of May 2020 part 17)