Notices

Class of February 2021 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-26-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

GIad to see you dear Scott. s

I know it can be crazy-making to work out what happened....I aIways used these times to add extra recovery tooIs....strengthen my resistance so to speak. s
Old 02-26-2021, 11:44 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hi Scott, I'm glad you're back. What's working on your good weeks? What are your big triggers on the opposite weeks? What can you do a little more or a little less?

I started making small changes last fall and I kept doing that and trying to choke off the alcohol more and more days. In the past I quit abruptly and it didn't stick. This time I tried a different way. It was not moderation. It was just changing habits to do more of what helped and less of what didn't. Each month got a little better and now I finally got a month clean. My changes started last September. The first step was taking a walk and I kept walking (in some form). I also have posted on SR every day in 2021. That has helped too.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:48 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I find you inspirationaI dear siIversky. HonestIy. ❤️
Old 02-26-2021, 11:56 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Thanks Silversky. It seems that when I have a good sober streak I don’t work too hard to not drink and then bam. It happens. I need to revisit all of the things I have written this last year to remind myself what will happen to me. I’ll also post here more frequently. I also need to not head out alone for awhile so I don’t just stop for a bottle. I like your ideas of small changes and I actually am doing that when I’m AF.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:02 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Keep trying Scott. It took me a long time to get this far but its worth it. Hands down getting sober was the toughest thing ive ever done, mentally exhausting but its worth it.
I had to change my whole home routine this time and it was a game changer for me. I walk everywhere constantly hydrating and eating good food. I think im as happy about the weight loss as staying sober. Stay strong
Old 02-26-2021, 03:00 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here every day really helped me Scott - to change you need to make changes - even a little one like post/reading here each day may help you change that cycle you're in.

D
Old 02-26-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I’m tired of the cycle and need to break it. I had 4 months last year and many more good stretches. I can do this.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Been a long day today. No sleep last night. But I’m sober. Kinda sucky withdrawal this time. In bed early tonight.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Morning from Wisconsin. I am so grateful to not be waking up sick this morning. I actually got a full nights sleep. Hopefully the withdrawals will start to subside soon.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:55 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Morning dear Scott and everyone. s ❤️
Old 02-27-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Glad you feel and slept better Scott. I'm in a neighbor state, Illinois. Our weather is slowly improving as we inch towards Spring. I like the idea of getting through the early weeks mostly inside and then being more "grounded" when the weather improves. Spring is my favorite season, when nature awakens and the days lengthen. I want to plant a tree this year, mainly to create more privacy near our patio. But now I'm thinking this tree might serve another purpose. You know a symbol of growth and resilience for surviving the seasons of life. Why not?

Old 02-27-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

That's a beautifuI idea siIversky! ❤️
Old 02-27-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I’m really enjoying the warm up as well. I wonder if the cold snap triggered my relapse. I hadn’t thought about that. We had -30 a couple of times in the morning. Stuck inside, its cold, might as well drink. It was the same time. I’m going to write that one down. I love your tree idea.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:14 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Busy thread - lots going on - lots of battles being fought and rejoined - just wish I could wake up - still, all this sleeping is very pleasant and some incredible dreams - like when you really don't want to wake up and when you do, you just want to get back there

Happy sober day and night to all.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:35 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Hi gang. I’ve been reading, but didn’t have much to say, and was busy. My daughter had some anxiety and needed my attention that last couple of days, but I think she’s sorted out her situation. She’s transferred to a new university this semester, and with the pandemic, most things are remote, and she’s never had the usual orientation and advising you’d get under normal times. So, she had a rough day, but it lead to her dealing with some issues with her credits. Anyway, I think she sorted out her situation.

My husband had a birthday yesterday, so was also busy making him a cake...raspberry white chocolate cheesecake. We got takeout, but will have a family dinner tonight because our daughter was able to come home today.

I’m excited to see my daughter. She’s a good support for my not drinking. She not a regular drinker, rarely has a couple. So, it’s nice having a companion around who’s not drinking on a weekend evening, in addition to simply being happy to see her. 😊
Old 02-27-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silversky View Post

I just ordered the book "Rational Recovery" and it will arrive tomorrow. I have done some reading on Addictive Voice Recognition on SR and elsewhere but never read the book before. That "mood" I had Monday is still the beast lurking in the shadow. The AV appearing as a "mood" still has an agenda. Even if I can't hear distinct thoughts, I know what the mood suggests. I'd like to learn more.

Anyone else read this book or find AVRT useful?
I also ordered this book recently. I have read about 80 pages so far. I like the overall philosophy, although I don't like some of the potshots the author takes at AA and the 12-step recovery programs and organized religion.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:38 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Last day of February sun shining and feeling great. Going to head off for my 10k walk listen to a few recovery elevator podcast and take in some beautiful views along the way. Day 90 today longest time sober since i started my fulltime boozing career at the tender age of 16. Have a great sober day everyone.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:48 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Al

D
Old 02-28-2021, 02:52 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AL48 View Post
Last day of February sun shining and feeling great. Going to head off for my 10k walk listen to a few recovery elevator podcast and take in some beautiful views along the way. Day 90 today longest time sober since i started my fulltime boozing career at the tender age of 16. Have a great sober day everyone.
Congrats, Al! 90 days is 😎.

I am on a week, basically , following my bust , but it doesn’t feel like it. somehow just feels different, like I am finally getting it.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:58 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tanky View Post
Congrats, Al! 90 days is 😎.

I am on a week, basically , following my bust , but it doesn’t feel like it. somehow just feels different, like I am finally getting it.
Good for you Tanky.
It might be the wonderful sunshine we are having here today talking, but im noticeably more energetic, and feel mentally sound after these 90 days😁.
Id love to be able to have a drink like some people do but i know i cant. For me i now understand there's no upside to it for me and for everyone i affect around me. Its like Stephen Fry says "you cant change by wishing it away". This change ive made is hard work but its worh it. The first month was torture Xmas ect. The second difficult but i joined you all and the support here was fundamental in staying AF and still is. Im rambling sorry. Stay strong everyone.