Notices

Class of January 2021 Part 2

Old 01-07-2021, 08:42 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by relena View Post
I'm glad you have access to that Puck. My income is also 0 at the moment. We have a hospital like that, and they have their own large network of doctors and clinics. I just don't want to go because I still owe them a large amount of money.
I hear you about owing money.. I filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy in November. That was one of the last nails in the coffin of my drinking career.

PS: What video game is your avatar from? That little creature looks familiar lol
Old 01-07-2021, 08:45 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Might be something I need to do one day as well.

He's the magic bean seller in Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:47 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by relena View Post
I'm sorry you had to go through that. Might be something I need to do one day as well.

He's the magic bean seller in Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Omg, YES! My favorite console game of ALL TIME

I knew that looked familiar!
Old 01-07-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning. I almost don't want to post this. I don't even know why or how it happened. Yesterday I was walking feeling great went home and my wife suggested we go out for diner so we did. The place we went is a place they know me.... so I didn't even order it, but they brought me a beer and I stared at it for literally 30 minutes just talking to my wife, and then I drank it. I then, of course, proceeded to have a glass of wine before bed. Just that little bit absolutely screwed up my entire night sleep. I don't know what to do, I feel like I failed. In the book that I am trying to read daily, "the alcohol experiment" the author said to forgive yourself if / when this happens but I am just so mad right now. I've never really felt "guilty" after drinking but I do right now. Very, very guilty and furious.

If anything it was a reminder that I just don't like it anymore. Reflecting on it, there was nothing that it gave me other then pain and restlessness. I'm going to memorialize it and try to lock this moment in my head. I am literally compelled to do something I used to like, don't anymore, and don't want. My body is just done with it.

Need to find new routines. I walked right into a trigger and wasn't prepared.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Gutcheck View Post
Good morning. I almost don't want to post this. I don't even know why or how it happened. Yesterday I was walking feeling great went home and my wife suggested we go out for diner so we did. The place we went is a place they know me.... so I didn't even order it, but they brought me a beer and I stared at it for literally 30 minutes just talking to my wife, and then I drank it. I then, of course, proceeded to have a glass of wine before bed. Just that little bit absolutely screwed up my entire night sleep. I don't know what to do, I feel like I failed. In the book that I am trying to read daily, "the alcohol experiment" the author said to forgive yourself if / when this happens but I am just so mad right now. I've never really felt "guilty" after drinking but I do right now. Very, very guilty and furious.

If anything it was a reminder that I just don't like it anymore. Reflecting on it, there was nothing that it gave me other then pain and restlessness. I'm going to memorialize it and try to lock this moment in my head. I am literally compelled to do something I used to like, don't anymore, and don't want. My body is just done with it.

The only thing you can do is forgive yourself and move forward. We have all failed before in the past. Many, many times. Just have to get back on it. Now you know to avoid that trigger in the future.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:31 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I can't speak to anything Annie Grace says.....I do not agree with her on very much.
But I do think absoutely you can frogive yourself.....and learn from this dear GC. s

You can say no to going out to dinner, or you can tell your wife beforehand that you are not drinking so that she can support your choices. s
I think it would have been very hard to be in that situation. Very hard.

The way I see it is you had two drinks.....and you didn't end up drinking six beers and then a whole bottle of wine.
You made yourself stop. Isn't that a huge win?

Look at your progress.
And look at how last night made you feel....you can put that in your toolbox for sure. s xx
Old 01-07-2021, 09:45 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
BMH

I need to join but it's hard to start that first day. I've done 30 and 60 day alcohol free stints in the past but can't seem to start now due to the anxiety.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I can't speak to anything Annie Grace says.....I do not agree with her on very much.
But I do think absoutely you can frogive yourself.....and learn from this dear GC. s

You can say no to going out to dinner, or you can tell your wife beforehand that you are not drinking so that she can support your choices. s

The way I see it is you had two drinks.....and you didn't end up drinking six beers and then a whole bottle of wine.

Look at your progress.
And look at how last night made you feel....you can put that in your toolbox for sure. s xx
I don't know anything about the Alcohol Experiment book, but the whole point of the Naked Mind was to view alcohol as poison, right? I mean, I already knew that, but that's what I got from it.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I think if you get something out of it that helps you that is great Puck. s
Old 01-07-2021, 10:01 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BMH View Post
I need to join but it's hard to start that first day. I've done 30 and 60 day alcohol free stints in the past but can't seem to start now due to the anxiety.
Welcome dear BMH. s

I know it can be hard to find that first day.....maybe it doesn't have to wait though?
Now is a good time.
Sending love and support. s ❤️
Old 01-07-2021, 10:13 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

Look at your progress.
It was a very strange experience to stop because I literally wasn't enjoying the experience... I told myself that. This sucks. So I made a tea and went to bed mad at myself.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:18 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
I don't know anything about the Alcohol Experiment book, but the whole point of the Naked Mind was to view alcohol as poison, right? I mean, I already knew that, but that's what I got from it.
It's so far, one of those books that I am on the fence about. It is very very phycho-babbleish (I just made that up). But she gets deep into cognitive dissidence which I kinda like because it makes sense. You have two minds, one that has learned to rely on alcohol and one that is telling you this is not good for you. I'm not done with it yet but it seems to be a progressive lesson on how to reset your subconscious to take the willpower out of the equation.

Allan Carr's book, which didn't work at all for me had the same approach. It's basically trying to get you to not "want" alcohol anymore by learning about what it gives vs what it takes. His version was read the book over and over, this one so far is a bit different.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

It's so far, one of those books that I am on the fence about. It is very very phycho-babbleish (I just made that up). But she gets deep into cognitive dissidence which I kinda like because it makes sense. You have two minds, one that has learned to rely on alcohol and one that is telling you this is not good for you. I'm not done with it yet but it seems to be a progressive lesson on how to reset your subconscious to take the willpower out of the equation.

Allan Carr's book, which didn't work at all for me had the same approach. It's basically trying to get you to not "want" alcohol anymore by learning about what it gives vs what it takes. His version was read the book over and over, this one so far is a bit different.
Gotcha! I read the Naked Mind last year and although I thought it was good, it was just stuff that I felt was common sense for the most part. I think if you ask any sane person if they think alcohol is a healthy substance they would say no it isn't. And we all know how our culture/society glorifies drinking in the media... books, films, advertisements etc... so by looking at it as poison you're trying to re-train your subconscious. That's pretty much what I got out of it.

I mean in all honestly it wasn't news to me alcohol is deadly. I always knew that but I just didn't care, bottom line.

Same deal with cigarettes... speaking of which I am happy as **** to report I quit in late 2019. Always read that cigarettes were the hardest to quit, but it was quite easy for me at the end. I smoked off and on since age 18. I just totally had enough of it. Hated the taste, hated the smell, everything about it.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:13 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Wow, lots of people here this January! That's great. I was part of, well, sept...oct...nov..and dec's classes lol. Each month I got farther along, usually into my day 20's. Today is day 4 for me. Really tired of starting over and riding the same roller coaster. I finally start feeling better and it's like an excuse to drink again. Sleep was awful last night, with the craziest dreams. Hopefully tonight I can get a few solid hours in. My hubby and I are having the hardest transition through this, 20 years of drinking together will do that. He says we always talked about quitting and then one day i just did and he wasn't prepared for that. I said i got tired of talking, actions and all...enough for now.

I can't even pretend to keep y'all straight, but from what I've read everyone is adjusting and even those who have tripped, have come back quickly.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

So he came home love? s xx
Old 01-07-2021, 11:25 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Gutcheck, I’m glad you decided to stop. I wouldn’t look at the experience as a failure, since you’ve learned something from it, and thankfully, didn’t continue drinking. As long as your AV doesn’t see that as some measure of control over drinking, I think you can hang onto the unpleasant feeling of it as a deterrent to future drinking.

I was mostly a wine drinker, but in my recent escalation, I enjoyed Irish Whisky, in part to keep carbs lower, being diabetic. You know, watching those carbs while drinking myself silly! 🤪😩😞
Anyway, just got rid of an empty 5th of that. We have a nearly full handle of Tito’s vodka that my daughter bought(with the family credit card), and a bit of rum. I don’t do any sweet drinks, no mixers, no soda, no juices, so they don’t haunt me, but was thinking of having her take it when she moves Saturday. She’s 21, and not a big drinker. She felt like a drink one night, and that was the best value, 😂.

She has a couple every few weeks, maybe. Imagine that? I’m thankful she seems not to have that hollow leg gene her father and I have. She’ll have two, drinks super slow, and stops. As I recall, I rapidly fell into binge drinking, even when very young and only an occasional drinker. Not sure what to do, because I don’t really want to encourage her to drink. If we can ever entertain again, we’ve definitely got friends who’d drink it.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:37 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
Gotcha! I read the Naked Mind last year and although I thought it was good, it was just stuff that I felt was common sense for the most part. I think if you ask any sane person if they think alcohol is a healthy substance they would say no it isn't. And we all know how our culture/society glorifies drinking in the media... books, films, advertisements etc... so by looking at it as poison you're trying to re-train your subconscious. That's pretty much what I got out of it.

I mean in all honestly it wasn't news to me alcohol is deadly. I always knew that but I just didn't care, bottom line.

Same deal with cigarettes... speaking of which I am happy as **** to report I quit in late 2019. Always read that cigarettes were the hardest to quit, but it was quite easy for me at the end. I smoked off and on since age 18. I just totally had enough of it. Hated the taste, hated the smell, everything about it.
I hear you on smoking! When I was in my 20's I used to use it as an excuse to go on break. I hated it. Was very very easy for me to put down. This, not so much. Thanks for your support man.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Gutcheck, I’m glad you decided to stop. I wouldn’t look at the experience as a failure, since you’ve learned something from it, and thankfully, didn’t continue drinking. As long as your AV doesn’t see that as some measure of control over drinking, I think you can hang onto the unpleasant feeling of it as a deterrent to future drinking.

I was mostly a wine drinker, but in my recent escalation, I enjoyed Irish Whisky, in part to keep carbs lower, being diabetic. You know, watching those carbs while drinking myself silly! 🤪😩😞
Anyway, just got rid of an empty 5th of that. We have a nearly full handle of Tito’s vodka that my daughter bought(with the family credit card), and a bit of rum. I don’t do any sweet drinks, no mixers, no soda, no juices, so they don’t haunt me, but was thinking of having her take it when she moves Saturday. She’s 21, and not a big drinker. She felt like a drink one night, and that was the best value, 😂.

She has a couple every few weeks, maybe. Imagine that? I’m thankful she seems not to have that hollow leg gene her father and I have. She’ll have two, drinks super slow, and stops. As I recall, I rapidly fell into binge drinking, even when very young and only an occasional drinker. Not sure what to do, because I don’t really want to encourage her to drink. If we can ever entertain again, we’ve definitely got friends who’d drink it.
Easy

Throw it out
Old 01-07-2021, 12:18 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all! Day 5 for me. I am still stuffed up nose and congested. No fever though.
I'm actually kind of glad I have this head cold because I usually am able to abstain during sick, so maybe I should welcome the timing?

Gut, don't beat yourself up, I've been in that position as well! Thank you for posting and telling us what happened, it's something we all need to think about because it will happen. Next time, I'd say, Oh no thank you, I'm not drinking right now due to diet (or something). No need to tell them the real reason unless you want to. But like venuscat said, you didn't go nuts on a bender so that is a victory! And you feel guilty, you don't want to drink any longer so that's good too. It will be okay! Today is a new Day 1.

Lixie, I applaud your honesty as well, what you said is exactly why I lurked for upwards of a decade before posting bc I wasn't ready to be held accountable or told I shouldn't be drinking (I wasn't ready to quit). Stick around and keep with us and post...we're here for you!

Work has been really busy for me today and I'm about to run out of kleenex...I can't step foot out of the house being sick so I will send my daughter to the store. It's a good thing too because I can't be tempted to buy any booze and I have none in the house.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:19 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back Gutcheck. Yeah it’s hard to deal with an opportunity like that ( and part of you will see it as an opprtunity) the first times but the more you deal with it the better you’ll get.

I’d send it back with no hesitation nowadays. Thanks...but no thanks.

congrats on your week JJ and Puck and anyone else having a milestone today.

and on the not grown-up thing....

yeah I was the worlds oldest teenager but the thing is... once I stopped drinking and I started dealing with problems and difficulties sober, I grew up a lot in a very short amount of time.

Many of us may start this journey immature but we don’t have to stay there

D