Notices

Class of January 2021 Part 2

Old 01-07-2021, 12:21 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
Wow, lots of people here this January! That's great. I was part of, well, sept...oct...nov..and dec's classes lol. Each month I got farther along, usually into my day 20's. Today is day 4 for me. Really tired of starting over and riding the same roller coaster. I finally start feeling better and it's like an excuse to drink again. Sleep was awful last night, with the craziest dreams. Hopefully tonight I can get a few solid hours in. My hubby and I are having the hardest transition through this, 20 years of drinking together will do that. He says we always talked about quitting and then one day i just did and he wasn't prepared for that. I said i got tired of talking, actions and all...enough for now.

I can't even pretend to keep y'all straight, but from what I've read everyone is adjusting and even those who have tripped, have come back quickly.
I hope hubby is okay! I know what you mean about crazy dreams. And yep, in the past I'd quit for like a week and be like "I feel great! Time to enjoy a drink like normal people do" Except my drink would last 2 months.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Gutcheck, I’m glad you decided to stop. I wouldn’t look at the experience as a failure, since you’ve learned something from it, and thankfully, didn’t continue drinking. As long as your AV doesn’t see that as some measure of control over drinking, I think you can hang onto the unpleasant feeling of it as a deterrent to future drinking.

I was mostly a wine drinker, but in my recent escalation, I enjoyed Irish Whisky, in part to keep carbs lower, being diabetic. You know, watching those carbs while drinking myself silly! 🤪😩😞
Anyway, just got rid of an empty 5th of that. We have a nearly full handle of Tito’s vodka that my daughter bought(with the family credit card), and a bit of rum. I don’t do any sweet drinks, no mixers, no soda, no juices, so they don’t haunt me, but was thinking of having her take it when she moves Saturday. She’s 21, and not a big drinker. She felt like a drink one night, and that was the best value, 😂.

She has a couple every few weeks, maybe. Imagine that? I’m thankful she seems not to have that hollow leg gene her father and I have. She’ll have two, drinks super slow, and stops. As I recall, I rapidly fell into binge drinking, even when very young and only an occasional drinker. Not sure what to do, because I don’t really want to encourage her to drink. If we can ever entertain again, we’ve definitely got friends who’d drink it.
That is great that your daughter drinks responsibly. I never had that mind frame. I realized from day one, when I started drinking as a late teen/early 20s, I drank to get DRUNK. Shots were always my favorite. I never drank slow or to enjoy it occasionally. My goal was to be plastered and party, because that's what I thought one did. I had that mind frame from the very beginning and it took me years to realize that's not the right way to drink. I thought everyone did it, but lots of times I was the drunkest of them all. Ugh. More shame...
Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Easy

Throw it out

Old 01-07-2021, 12:26 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BMH View Post
I need to join but it's hard to start that first day. I've done 30 and 60 day alcohol free stints in the past but can't seem to start now due to the anxiety.
Welcome friend and stay with us!!
Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Wow, lots of people here this January! That's great. I was part of, well, sept...oct...nov..and dec's classes lol. Each month I got farther along, usually into my day 20's. Today is day 4 for me. Really tired of starting over and riding the same roller coaster. I finally start feeling better and it's like an excuse to drink again. Sleep was awful last night, with the craziest dreams. Hopefully tonight I can get a few solid hours in. My hubby and I are having the hardest transition through this, 20 years of drinking together will do that. He says we always talked about quitting and then one day i just did and he wasn't prepared for that. I said i got tired of talking, actions and all...enough for now.

I can't even pretend to keep y'all straight, but from what I've read everyone is adjusting and even those who have tripped, have come back quickly.
Stay strong we are all in this together
Old 01-07-2021, 12:47 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and to the group dear AL48!! s ❤️❤️

And Phoebe love....I am with Fish and Dee: turf it. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-07-2021, 01:07 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I missed Phoebe's last paragraph about whether you should give the Tito's to your daughter or not...I'm with those that say chuck it!
Old 01-07-2021, 01:15 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

My mind was never able to process only having a couple of drinks. Sounds like misery!
Old 01-07-2021, 01:21 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by rosegoldrose View Post
That is great that your daughter drinks responsibly. I never had that mind frame. I realized from day one, when I started drinking as a late teen/early 20s, I drank to get DRUNK. Shots were always my favorite. I never drank slow or to enjoy it occasionally. My goal was to be plastered and party, because that's what I thought one did. I had that mind frame from the very beginning and it took me years to realize that's not the right way to drink. I thought everyone did it, but lots of times I was the drunkest of them all. Ugh. More shame...
Sounds exactly how I drank from the very beginning, Rose.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:14 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

If I were alone in the house, and had booze around, I’d toss it. I know husband and daughter will not be happy if I do that. He doesn’t even ever drink hard liquor, ever. It’s a frugal yankee thing. He’s that way when I clean the fridge! I’m not feeling any desire to have that stuff. Wine might tempt me, but not right now. He would definitely hide it somewhere, so I don’t see it or know where it is.

I do understand the point. I might feel strong right now, but there will come a day where I’m not, and best to not have ready access.

My husband still drinks. There will always be beer in the house. Though, to his credit, for the first time ever, like ever since I’ve known him, he’s gone these 6 days sober with me! Oh, he did abstain after a surgery for awhile.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

I never understood people who have liquor collecting dust at the house. 🙃 lol
Old 01-07-2021, 03:23 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Long day today, but survived. Almost at a week now. Hope you all had happy, healthy days friends.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:24 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Day 7 done. It's been a good week. Roll on week 2.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
I never understood people who have liquor collecting dust at the house. 🙃 lol
there's always liquor in my house cause of my hubby ;(
Old 01-07-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 days dear Alba!!!!!!! ❤️
Old 01-07-2021, 03:31 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rodyda View Post
Long day today, but survived. Almost at a week now. Hope you all had happy, healthy days friends.
Congrats to you too love....that first week is tough huh? So happy for you. ❤️
Old 01-07-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlbaSober View Post
Day 7 done. It's been a good week. Roll on week 2.
congrats on a week! Usually by day 7 i start feeling way better. I'm on day 4, my no sleep high anxiety day...but each day is a day forward.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

congrats on a week! Usually by day 7 i start feeling way better. I'm on day 4, my no sleep high anxiety day...but each day is a day forward.
It can be your last no sleep/high anxiety day.....and you're right by day 7 you'll start feeling better. There's so much to look forward too by actually doing nothing. In theory it's absolutely simple. Think positive plans.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:41 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your week, Alba!
Old 01-07-2021, 03:52 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

there's always liquor in my house cause of my hubby ;(
Oh I know that was just a lame attempt at making a joke. I know that's a tough situation!