Notices

One Year & Over Part 77

Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Hi Overs -

Andy - fingers crossed for DD. Congrats on staying at your goal weight. Enjoy your coffee

PJ - Thx for sharing. That would shake me up to. Sending you a hug.

V - Sending you a big hug

Mags - hope the injections were incident free.

Sass - hope the cases stay down in your area

FBL - gratitude is one of the tools I need to use more...I think we all could. Sounds like a great topic to cover in your book.

Bekind - I’m so sad for the poor ducks. What a horrible incident. Hope the injured ones heal.

Well, Hubby and I took a day of grandparent sitting to go for a hike - first kid free day together in over a year. After 2.5 hour drive we reached the trail head and got the call that baby K was throwing up, and home we went.

Baby K couldn’t keep water down and threw up 10+ times, so to be conservative we went to urgent care to get a COVID test since we had been on that plane.

Turns out AZ is NOT like CA - they have all the COVID people sitting in the same small waiting area as all the other patients - no spacing. The disregard for effective protocols was jaw dropping scary.

At check in we were told it would be an hour. It took me 30 mins to fill out all the insurance and medical history bc we are out of state, and we waited outside in 100 degree weather. When I turned in the paperwork I was told it would be another hour.

Mind you, I have a small child who is can’t keep down water for hours at this point - it’s not a medically good situation to keep us waiting outdoors in the 100 degree desert.

30 more mins pass and I go in to check status - told it was going to be another hour, and they told me there they do not see patients in order of medical priority. We could wait inside with all the other Covid patients.

At this point I got momma pissed. I gave my daughter a sip of water, we went inside and sat in the chair the furthest from all the patients but next to the receptionist and she proceeds to collapse on the floor and vomit in less than a minute (into the Tupperware container) and can’t stand herself up.

Thankfully they got the picture and magically we were next to be seen.

Baby K got her nose swiped for her test and didn’t cry but clearly didn’t like it. I got mine next, and after I was done baby K looked at me so concerned and asked me ‘do you feel ok?’ I guess I wasn’t sufficiently convincing with my response so she took the wet washcloth that I had been using on her face to comfort and cool her, and she rubbed my forehead with it while saying ‘this will make you feel better mommy.”

I don’t think she had the energy to speak before this point, so I know she was trying really hard bc she felt so horrible. It was really sweet. Can’t say I’ve ever felt so touched having someone smear their vomit wipe on my face before.... ha ha.

Thankfully K was able to start keeping down water a few hours after that without other complications and we are (well were until stepping foot in that place) COVID free, so we have a happy ending to the day.

I can appreciate everyone’s anxiety around COVID a whole lot more. In CA I was a slightly laxed person vs the norm bc we do see the grandparents weekly and here I felt like the crazy person being gaslighted by following standard CA guidelines. It’s not a comfortable place to be. I’ve never had culture shock before, but I think that’s basically what I’m experiencing now, ironically being in the US :/. Sigh.

But hey, I got a vomit wipe facial
Old 10-23-2020, 11:32 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Oh! And today baby #2 is officially viable. He is also kicking up a storm and I am starting to see my belly moves when he kicks Yay!
Old 10-24-2020, 04:45 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

SE, great news on baby #2 progress! I am floored by your description of the lack of covid awareness! Given that, the crazy situation makes more sense.

PJ, so sorry to hear about your son’s attitude. There is a lot to be said for forgiveness and understanding. I can only hope your son will come to a better understanding of that.

Have a safe and happy day, Overs
Old 10-24-2020, 05:24 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

PJ, that must have been quite an emotional shock. I am glad you came here to talk about it.

SE, what a hellish trip this is becoming for you. Things are rapidly getting worse in my state. I believe yesterday was the highest daily case count since the spring, and the US hit a record one day high. Ironically (not), my school district is about to embark upon a hybrid system of bringing back students a couple days a week. Fortunately, they are still allowing a stay at home option. I can't but imagine this all going horribly awry this fall. It's all science folks.

FBL, glad your project is wrapping up!

Hang in there everyone!
Old 10-24-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I have no words Serene.....frowning here. What a horrendous experience!!
So was it gastro?

And also YAY, congrats momma. s xx
Old 10-24-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
At this point I got momma pissed. I gave my daughter a sip of water, we went inside and sat in the chair the furthest from all the patients but next to the receptionist and she proceeds to collapse on the floor and vomit in less than a minute (into the Tupperware container) and can’t stand herself up.

Thankfully they got the picture and magically we were next to be seen.
S, that is horrific; however I still got a chuckle out of your method of getting baby K seen. Also giggled a bit about the vomit facial . . .ah parenthood.

I got out of the house to fill the car with gas and ran by to check on the ducks. Ducks aren't eating so nephew is feeding them with a tube. It all seems like a good science lesson.

Also I got the first good yoga session in in over a week. I am always falling off the exercise wagon. I wish I could still run.

So tomorrow another Zoom mass with my family, try to get a bit of exercise in and fix some things around the apartment.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

I think, Sass (and all) because of my behaviour when boozing- my sons do not quite know how to put aside the hurt of the past and deal with a getting- onto- 5y sober me now. Oh well. Like all of us- the best I can do for my family is leave them be, out of love and respect, keep strong in my recovery and always, ALWAYS seek to better myself. To try again and again, with hope.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

SE, sorry your outing was cut short. Pleased baby K is ok now and your both your Covid tests are negative. It is scary how the hospital has people bunched up. What happened to keeping distance.

I have FBL to thank about daily gratitude. He mentioned it on overs once and I went to find the gratitude thread on SR and write most every day. It really does help.

PJ, I feel you’re doing the right thing by your family and who knows what the future holds. one day at a time.

We’re visiting in-laws today. I’m not sure if we’ll go into lockdown here and not be able to visit soon, covid is getting worse. We’ll see.

Have a good Sunday my friends, be safe xxxx
Old 10-24-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:23 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am really glad you baby K and baby #2 are ok SE

D
Old 10-25-2020, 02:06 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

PJ, one of the most difficult things in recovery is trying to overcome years of negative behavior in loved ones minds while we were drinking. I am sure you, as did I, say and do a lot of hurtful things while using. Friends and loved ones deservedly need time to see if the new and improved you is legitimate. It is painful, but a process that can't be rushed. Ironic that we now grieve for loved ones and friends since sobriety, while they grieved for us while using.

Glad the babies are doing well SE. Brilliant Mom move at the testing site.

FBL and Mags hit it on the head when talking about daily gratitude. It's the little things each day that make it worth while.

Best wishes all!
Old 10-25-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Daily gratitude is one of the big factors that has and still does help me stay sober. We started that in my IOP and were directed to add to it every day. I was amazed to find out how many things I had to be grateful for. I think that is a major factor in my getting through the strictures of the pandemic without going into a lengthy depression.

PJ, I hope for you that some day your sons will find it in their hearts to forgive you. Until we experience and recognize our own pain and our own failings and forgive ourselves, I think it’s hard to forgive others. It’s a painful situation for all involved.

Bekind, I am one of those people who frequently manage to fall off the exercise wagon. I just continue to climb back on!

Have a good day, Overs!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:22 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Lovin' all the talk about gratitude! Me and Ev just did a video about it yesterday: Benefits of Daily Gratitude

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 10-25-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Checking in from the armpit of a snowy Sunday afternoon . . . . apparently this storm won't put the fires out but will at least help.

So today: Zoom Mass with family, reconciled a credit card account, 25 min of yoga (I can take all day to get through a yoga session), cleaned my Dad's bathroom, called a high school classmate who had a death in the family, ran laundry.

Now to do 5 more min of yoga, read a few more pages of my Spanish novel, and check charges on another month of credit card statement.

Onward Overs!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Thx for the well wishes. We are all healthy and and baby K only had the 24 hour bug. We are back home now and will take another test next week to cover our bases - this time from my local office that has good practices - want to protect our grandparents

I hopped on quickly b/c I *think* tomorrow is V's bday - I'm not sure if it's sober bday or the original bday. But I'm excited to celebrate the wonderful V and all her awesomeness even if I have my dates all incorrect

PJ - sending you a hug. You are giving them a respectful gift by giving them space to heal. Forgiveness takes effort - I have quite a few people no longer in my life b/c of my actions. It hurts.

If you do want to connect, maybe a gentle, easy to turn down reach out of "hey I happened to see you by coincidence and it reminded me how much I wish we could catch up - it's been a while", etc. Sometimes it's hard for people to initiate, and something low stakes that they can bow out of may/may not be an opportunity to start a different type of healing....and to keep offering every so often as timing can be key. A different approach - sometimes I write letters of what I would say and just keep them on my computer - I feel better after I just get it out of my head. ((((Hugs)))).

FBL - I look forward to checking out your post later this evening. Thank you for sharing!

Hope everyone wakes to wonderful coffee tomorrow!
Old 10-25-2020, 10:58 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs,

SE, I’m glad all is well with ‘breadroll’

FBL, I very much enjoyed watched your ‘Benefits of Daily Gratitude’ . It’s a good thing you do.

And while I’m mentioning gratitude I’d like to say I’m truly grateful for SR and all of you, in helping me get my life back.

Have a mindful Monday, my friends. xxxx

Old 10-25-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I too am grateful for SR and the wonderful folks here whom share their daily life moments.

Here's to a mindful Monday friends!
Old 10-25-2020, 11:57 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.
outside inside
Have a good day everyone.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:17 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Being here daily and paying forward where I can are not only part of my vigilance but also my gratitude for my sobriety.

SE some good points there for PJ.

My mum is having some health issues, my brother and SIL are as usual arming for her, but I'm deciding whether I need to travel down for a few days. I'm already going down later in the month to help her through the first anniversary of my dads death, but may need to visit sooner. I can't expect my brothers family to hold down the fort indefinitely. We will see how things are over the next few days.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:06 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Magsie

Toots, sorry to hear your mum’s having health issues.

Andy it looks like we’re going to have rain most of the week, but so far it’s very cold but dry.