Notices

Class of April 2020 Part One

Old 04-09-2020, 02:56 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

I rarely drink Coke, I was just wanting a burst of energy. It didn't work. My go-to drink instead of alcohol is fruit juice, which is not on the diet at all. I may still have one glass tonight. And I don't have to quit smoking entirely for a little while. No sense in making myself nuts or getting stressed, you're so right, Venus.
I'm still feeling really lazy. Day three. All I have to do today is not drink alcohol. So, I'm just going to keep being lazy tonight. Looking for a good movie.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

What kind of movies do you like? I have tons. s

And yeah, fruit juice is deceptively fattening.....you can squeeze fresh OJ.....gosh that is good. xx
Old 04-09-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Well, oddly, I am not into romantic movies usually. I should avoid dark movies, but I do like them. I would actually love to watch a scary movie tonight. I know there was a list of good Netflix somewhere on here, but I can't remember where. What kinds of movies do you like?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

It's a docu-series and ridiculously off the wall from start to finish, but have you tried Tiger King on NetFlix???
Old 04-09-2020, 05:08 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Not scary so much....but I do love thrillers. Big time.

I have scary for you darling.....have you seen "It" and the sequel? Gosh....I have a ton of scary movies for my husband who loves them....I will do a proper list tomorrow, but you can also google Netflix movie lists......Netflix scary movies. xxx ❤️
Old 04-09-2020, 05:11 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

This is day 2 for me. I’ve been away for quite some time. Happy to be back.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Hello dear Stomper....super awesome to see you!!!! s xx ❤️
Old 04-09-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Welcome Stomper!!! Keep going. You can do this!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:59 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Day 10

Welcome to all the newcomers.

Last night was definitely the hardest so far in terms of feeling negative, anxious and confused. Sometimes one is faced with so many conflicting thoughts that it is impossible to compartmentalise one subject from another, leading to an overall feeling that is akin to depression. Issues all mash into one to become a wall of noise that is deafening. That’s how I felt last night and I took myself to bed at 8:30pm.

I woke up this morning at 2:30am and realised I wasn’t going to be able to fall asleep again so I’ve been sitting here by candlelight downstairs as Mrs JT and the faithful pooch sleep upstairs. It’s one source of comfort to know that they are nearby, asleep and safe as I ruminate about things that, I admit, might never happen.

My stomach upset and pain seem to be gone now. It took the best part of three weeks (when the first symptoms expressed themselves). Mrs JT thinks it might be COVID-19 related as I had a constant dull headache as well and was so fatigued I just had to sleep whenever I could. I’m not sure it is related to the virus (although there are reports that in the minority of cases it can hit people in different ways to the typical sore throat and dry cough symptoms). Regardless - I’ve never been that ill or fatigued for so long before and I’m just pleased to be the other side of it no matter what it was. Personally I am sure that one way or another my body was just giving up to the constant abuse of alcohol. I’m realising now that I am still suffering (hugely) from my behaviour. My mental state still lurches into very bad places in spells and I resist nihilistic feelings for what they are and try to reject them as such.

I also wonder and fear that for all my protestations around never drinking again, if this is just a false dawn? With pubs, bars and restaurants closed - and the fear of going to the shops as an alternative, am I only succeeding to stay sober by accident? We all know there is a difference between causation and correlation. Is it simply a coincidence that I am dry at the same time as the lockdown or am I only sober due to the lockdown? Clearly I hope and believe it is the former and not the latter.

I’ve still not managed a weight and resistance band workout yet at home. I’ve been too weak and tired. However I did manage two 3.5 mile walks in the middle of nowhere (where I live for new people to this group) so I’m lucky in that I can observe 100% isolation and social distancing but still venture out twice a day.

Anyway - strength and support to you all. I sure need some by way of return right now.

Stay Safe. Stay Home. Stay Sober.

#WOL

Regards,

The JT Family
Old 04-09-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

I didn't buy the gin . I did buy a few non alcoholic beers and downed one in the car as a form of relief once I was home I was safe as not allowed out again.
It's sunny here today so that will help my mood . Need to set the kids started on homeschool web tv now . I hope I don't eat crap all day . It's so sad that all the healthy foods like nuts and advacardos ect are so expensive compared to junk food, now we have no money coming in I have had to cut many luxurys out the shop. were Lucky we have lots of fruit trees in the garden for the kids to eat healthy and I will be living of eggs from my chickens.
Have a blessed sobor day xx
Old 04-09-2020, 09:48 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
I didn't buy the gin . I did buy a few non alcoholic beers and downed one in the car as a form of relief once I was home I was safe as not allowed out again.
It's sunny here today so that will help my mood . Need to set the kids started on homeschool web tv now . I hope I don't eat crap all day . It's so sad that all the healthy foods like nuts and advacardos ect are so expensive compared to junk food, now we have no money coming in I have had to cut many luxurys out the shop. were Lucky we have lots of fruit trees in the garden for the kids to eat healthy and I will be living of eggs from my chickens.
Have a blessed sobor day xx
At least you didn't buy the gin!!! I've done the "form of relief" drink in the past and it's hard to not do. At least it was a non-alcoholic beverage! It's a good step in the right direction. Keep you chin up! You're working so hard and we're all here for you
Old 04-09-2020, 09:51 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Stomper

D
Old 04-09-2020, 09:53 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

JT / I've had similar thoughts that I'm really just sober because of the pandemic and the messaging everywhere to just stay home. And our family has been incredibly safe in terms of venturing out (ie. I am the designated shopper and other than that we take walks together, sit outside, etc.). I really think that's just my AV trying to trick me into barging into the liquor store ASAP after things settle down. I told my AV to shut up and that by the time that opportunity rolls around I will have beaten the poor AV down so badly he won't be able to get up. I see this now as a real opportunity to pause and reflect. To get off on the right foot in terms of sobriety. As always, be sure to check in here with the group. We're all in this together. And with that it's time for some Zzzzz's. Take care. Be safe.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:29 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Slept from 3pm to 1am. Unusual sleep patterns are a hallmark of early sobriety for me. It's so much more quieter out than I'm used to I can sleep soundly. Used to constant sirens all night because my building is situated on a major artery through the city for emergency vehicles.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:25 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morn all x

good that u skipped the gin strawberry x

nothing much to say this morn so i will just do my pledge, so i pledge i wont pick up today, day 3

have a good day x
Old 04-10-2020, 12:28 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Hi...think it's been 3 days today, my sleep being irregular and not really needing to know what day it is has me a bit confused about that...

Today I went to the meat shop, waited in line 6ft apart for around 1/2 an hour to get in. They were only letting 7 people in at a time. Then repeated that scenario to go to the produce market...meh. Stopped on the way home to pick the best pizza in town, then went home and crashed. Been drinking lots of water everytime I think about drinking it seems to help.

Our new place (that I love, and way nicer than the last) is right next door to a busy pub with great food and an outdoor patio. Kind of happy they had to close
But their Beer and Wine store is still open every day 9am to 9pm. It's literally a 5 minute walk away. Sigh...at least I can't see it from my side of the building.

It's been a pretty good day and I'm feeling very tired so maybe It'll be a good sleep tonight. Sweet Dreams April friends...
Old 04-10-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Wastinglife hello! I'm not an essential worker. I still have my job fortunately but I've been working at home for the last 4 weeks. I was actually working remote a lot before, but it's different when it's your choice and you can go out!

I'm in the Yonge and St Clair area. I go out once a day for a walk or jog. I try to go early in the morning, less people.

Made it through yesterday. Every day seems so long.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Day four! Something I thought of while reading the posts saying, Maybe I'm Just Sober Because of the Pubs being closed: When some people go to inpatient treatment, part of the reason is to give themselves 30 days with no opportunity to drink so they can get a start. But that doesn't mean it's a false start.
That would be tough, living right next to a pub, Patterson.
I'm hoping to feel better today. I want to get some things done. I hope everyone has a great day, easy time staying sober.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsmaria View Post
Wastinglife hello! I'm not an essential worker. I still have my job fortunately but I've been working at home for the last 4 weeks. I was actually working remote a lot before, but it's different when it's your choice and you can go out!

I'm in the Yonge and St Clair area. I go out once a day for a walk or jog. I try to go early in the morning, less people.

Made it through yesterday. Every day seems so long.

Hope everyone is doing well.
My building faces north from yonge/bloor. I can see yonge/st claire from my window. Wave! Haha. Only 2km away. I also go out for walks to keep sane.

I'm locked in alone. Going g stir-crazy so ordered a Nintendo classic mini console haha. Should be delivered tomorrow. 30 games from the 80's on it. That should help with alcohol cravings because boredom is something I see as my biggest threat to staying sober now.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:24 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Welcome Stomper! I'm glad you're here.
Wow, Wasting and Itsmaria, it's so nice to find that you are near another of our class members, isn't it? Knowing that I had another class member close by would make me feel really good.
I've never had time for friends except when I was sober, which has not been nearly enough to create true lasting friendships. Today, I'm not feeling alone though. A big part of that is having SR.
Also, I'm practicing meditation and connecting to my inner soul, which I believe is connected to the collective human soul and to the one spirit. That probably sounds like silly stuff to many, and that's okay, it helps me and I am not asking anyone to join me.
I also have my family all around me, and we do have some issues but mostly it's good to have them around and though they may not feel the same about having me around, hopefully that will change as I stay sober and get well mentally and physically.
I've had a fairly productive day. I had no idea how much dust was in my bedroom. That may be contributing to me not feeling well, since I'm allergic to dust. I'm almost done getting it all out, and look forward to breathing some clean air.
See you all later!