Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 64

Old 02-04-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Hi Undies

One day at a time works for me and I’m on day 36 this time around.
Keep it up...36 days and

I probably have more time than the majority of people and less responsibilities....so I don't know if I'm obsessive...but I find I can dedicate myself to 4 threads....1 is very active and at times hard to keep up with...the other 3 not so but no less supportive and enjoyable.

I personally could add some meetings or going to the Solutions Club for coffee or a soda.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:53 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi Willow68.

I'm sorry to hear you drank after that year+, but glad you are here and posting and back on day 36!! The One Day At A Time thing is so true - sometimes I think I just have a series of Day 1's - I mean that in a positive way

I hope everyone is having a good day - appreciate all the support!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:35 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Evening Undies!

Had an awesome day fishing today. 30+ catfish in the cooler.
Weather was decent. Great day to be alive!

And Sober👍👍
Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Day 15 here. Glad to be a part of this group!
Old 02-05-2020, 12:09 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome Noam, congratulations on getting through those first two gruelling weeks!

FK, what do you do with all those fish? I mean, do you eat them all, or give them away? I've never tasted catfish. Sounds like you could supply a restaurant all on your own!

Willow, I've never left SR, I don't trust myself alone with my sobriety and I'll have 7 years next month. 7 years. Heck, I still recall those days on this thread when seven weeks was miraculous to me, and then when I got 7 months I was so proud. I only achieved sobriety with the help of SR. I opened my heart and soul here, and guys who were strangers and are now friends, helped me to heal. I come here daily, check 4 threads, two are pretty quiet, so it doesn't take too long to catch up. But daily I am reminded of what I am, and why I will always need to remain vigilant for the rest of my days. AV might shout it's head off in the early days and convince you you cannot live without a drink. But once you hit and begin to maintain recovery, and live a sober life, it is all too easy to become complacent. AV changes it's voice then, become sly and wheedling, telling you it's safe, it's ok to drink again, you've proved your sobriety.
No. Too many here are proof that there will never be a day in my life where it is safe to drink.
And that is why I am here every day lending whatever support and encouragement I can to you guys . Because strong as I feel in my sobriety, without the daily reminder of how low I sank, how scared I got for myself, my life, my marriage I would become complacent. And that is my biggest threat, and greatest fear.

Wisc, recovery is not about stopping drinking. Anyone can do that for any period of time, but they will drink again. Recovery is about getting to the root causes of why we drank, it is about confronting frightening realities, it is about finding ways to forgive ourselves and finding peace. You are working hard at your recovery, and have much more to deal with than many others here, myself included. I am proud to be part of your support group and cheerleading squad.

Have a lovely Sober day my Undie friends!
Old 02-05-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

toots - I just had to log on quickly and say congratulations on your 7 years. Speaking as someone who was so thrilled to have recently passed the 7 months mark I can only say that really is some achievement. Hats off to you. I also wanted to endorse the comment you made in an earlier post (when I wrote about my brother's death) about families being complicated. That's exactly it of course when it comes to conflicted feelings.

Hi wisc, Willow, Noam, MITA, Fkshkiller - I think I can see from your posts why you chose that name, at least to fish bit! - and all Unders. I enjoy reading your posts and I'm grateful to be part of this group.

I struggle to post on each of my 'chosen' threads too not because I have an all-encompassing social life (!) but more because at the moment I do quite a lot of grandchild care and that means starting very early and ending up mostly just fit to sit and do nothing much. But I totally agree about guarding against complacency so although I'm a bit of an intermittent poster I intend to keep my membership of SR as active as possible.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Evening Undies!

Had an awesome day fishing today. 30+ catfish in the cooler.
Weather was decent. Great day to be alive!
And Sober👍👍
Awesome you could be The Fish Slayer!
Old 02-05-2020, 02:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Checking in....coming out of isolation to be physically with people, and in touch with SR members, being helpful in so many different ways. Recovery is where it's at....and I'm grateful for one person helping another to overcome addictions.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Toots, I do eat lots of fish. I vacuum seal it so it will last a year or so in the freezer. I also give some away.
Yesterday also is not indicative of a normal fishing day. Lol. I usually catch but 30+ os a great day.

Rose, I struggled to find a name to fit when I joined and this is what I came up with.
I do like wiscs suggestion of Fish Slayer though. A little less morbid. Oh well I am the Fish Killer

Good morning to all my fellow undies! May your day be bright and sober!
Old 02-05-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Toots, I do eat lots of fish. I vacuum seal it so it will last a year or so in the freezer. I also give some away.
Yesterday also is not indicative of a normal fishing day. Lol. I usually catch but 30+ os a great day.

Rose, I struggled to find a name to fit when I joined and this is what I came up with.
I do like wiscs suggestion of Fish Slayer though. A little less morbid. Oh well I am the Fish Killer

Good morning to all my fellow undies! May your day be bright and sober!
You are the fishkiller and sober
Old 02-05-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Now that I've read the backstory, I like FishKiller - direct and honest Sober is the only way to do it.

Hope everyone is having a good day!!
Old 02-05-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

end to a great day...slight changes in lifestyle choices has helped.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:01 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good stuff Wisc!

MITA I must admit, I like fish killer - direct and totally to the point! And as an added bonus, annoys the heck out of the 'catch and release' mob!
Seriously, I am all for using nature's bounty as was always expected of us; for food, clothing and shelter. It was when profit came into things we ended up making a pigs ear of it all!
Old 02-06-2020, 01:57 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Awesome post Toots, thank you ❤️
Old 02-06-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all Unders - from a very. Right but very cold London.

Fishkiller - we like you just the way you are!

Spot on post there toots.

Nothing much to report, other than I am still sober and intend to remain that way. Did I say nothing much to report? That would have been epic at one time!
Old 02-06-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks MITA!
wisc, change is hard but the rewards can be great. Even the little changes can bring big things! Good for you!
Toots, I practice a little catch and release myself depending on the state of my freezer stock.😁
100% on the for profit crap. We are in a big battle against a large corporation that comes in the Bay and scoops up tens of millions of tons of bait fish evry year not to mention the bycatch they dont want to talk about.
Rose, you are too kind. I'm really starting to like myself better.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Healthy lifestyle changes and the reward was sleeping in bed for over 8 hours of solid sleep!

20 full weeks of sobriety today.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:04 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

👍👍
Old 02-07-2020, 12:21 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Toots said it beautifully. I need to visit SR daily to help me from becoming complacent in my recovery. There was a point a couple years in where my monthly group, which was my main support thread initially, slowed to a trickle, and I had not discovered other threads to follow for support. Like Toots said, the AV is cunning and changes its voice as we change. I have read many stories here on SR of folks whom have had a big chunk of sober time and decided that they could handle one drink at a wedding, or on a plane, or on vacation, and went out again for years. That's why I spend time on SR daily to remind myself who I am and that I need to remain vigilant each day. Without SR, I know I would have gone back out again.

When I was an undie, I liked to reread my early posts, and relive the raw emotions that I was feeling. If any of you ever feel the slightest bit over confident, I recommend doing that. Or keep a journal if that is your style.

Toots mentioned that just quitting drinking is not the end all be all for us. It took a few years to recover and rediscover who I am and grow emotionally into an adult after using alcohol for three and a half decades to medicate my feelings. The journey is not easy, but it is rewarding. I look at my teenagers and hope that I am setting a good example as a parent by dealing with life on life's terms each day, and not popping open a beer or bottle of wine the second I get home, like I used to.

Life has so much promise once we put the bottle behind!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:45 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Great post SG! I know you are a great example to your kids, and also as they grow you will be able to share your experiences to help them understand the grip alcohol can take. And yes, I sometimes look back on my blogs to see how far I have come. The journey through recovery to feeling comfortable living a sober life is not easy, - if it was there would be no addicts - but it is eminently worthwhile. It's impossible to make someone who is actively dependent, understand how much happier their life could be without, but those of you here now are just beginning to see that life can be and will be better. But it doesn't just take stopping drinking, it takes honesty, personal inspection and personal growth and change.

Wisc, congratulations on 20 weeks and on a good night sleep! (What's the secret I'm a dreadful insomniac)

FK, I hear you, the big guys also have the big guns, regardless who has moral right on their side.

Rose, nothing to report is epic! I recall the Chinese curse 'may you live in interesting times' - it's anything for a quiet life for me these days!

Thank you Willow, is bf still staying sober?