Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 9

Old 11-05-2019, 02:34 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Sending you all a giant hug as I want to let you all know how much I truly appreciate you. I would not be this far along on my sober journey without you, and your compassion, insight and friendship has been and continues to be invaluable to me. Thank you

Palmer: Your niece sounds super cute, it sounds like you guys had a fun evening enjoying the festivities! I must say that I'm with you on Halloween, I'm much more of a Christmas person (I know it's still only November, but I figure since Halloween is over now, I can say the word?!)

I apologise in advance for the slightly damp tone of today's post, but felt I needed to come and just get it out there and off my chest. I've been really struggling lately. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I feel as though I am running through this life trying to do a million things, falling short on all fronts and not taking any time for joy along the way. I also feel incredibly guilty saying that and for feeling this way, as I know how privileged and blessed I am compared with some who are really struggling, and that I really have no grounds for complaining. Hubby and I also had a big argument yesterday morning over nothing in particular and everything in general. We made up by the end of the day, but everything just feels so laboured these days, in all that I do. I feel as though my body and mind are going through the motions of life on survival mode or something? Anyway, I'm sure not much of that makes sense and I apologise for the negative post, just thought it might help to come and just write it all down to clear some space in my head.

Have a wonderful day all and hopefully I'll be back with a more positive post later/tomorrow. Take care all
Old 11-06-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Aww, NewChapter, thank you! I appreciate you too - there is no way I would be looking at almost 2 years of sobriety without you guys. NO WAY!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling unbalanced, I wish I could interject some positivity but honestly, I'm right there with you. My new job is exciting and challenging and I'm glad I made the switch. It's also stressful and frustrating, and I'm already looking ahead 1-2 years to try to compete for a promotion back in our "mothership" organization where I may be able to get more flexibility. The good news is that my husband is traveling this week, so if I want to be a slug this evening and not talk to anyone (in between sports practices), I can.

So sorry to drive through and spew my negativity, but it is what it is, I guess! Hope all are well.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Hi friends. Sorry for the long absence. We have definitely been in war/crisis mode at my job. I’m not exactly coming up for air because we just have more deadlines by COB Friday, then another contentious hearing, then more court deadlines, but I’m just taking a small humanity break.

NC what you are saying about the no time for joy makes so much sense. It’s precisely how I feel and exactly what I want to change. I have made choices that led me to where I am now, and I need to make some different ones. I hope that the eventual job change will help—and at least allow a bit of mental space to think about how to change my old patterns.

Speaking of old patterns I am sorry the binging has resurfaced with the ramped up stress levels. I guess the relationship between the two is fairly easy to observe. But how to stop it? That is the challenge. I know I am stating the obvious. I just kept writing something brilliant would come to me but instead I just made the paragraph longer . Just know I am rooting for you.

PS I am envious of the candy duty shift. I ended up having a really nice time but it was stressful to go from 90 mph at work to making small talk with friends and their neighbors who I didn’t know. Some day I will get to stay home and pass it out!

I too am so grateful for all of you. Definitely struggling in sobriety but having accountability and support here helps tremendously.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

NL & Palmer, I'm sorry you both appear to be right here in this overwhelmed boat with me, however I am so grateful that we at least have each other for support and a place to come vent and empathise, it really helps.

Palmer: I totally get the looking ahead mentality - I'm already projecting myself forward in my mind to next September when at least my Masters (hopefully) will be completed and done. I hope you took full advantage of the 'slug life' last night! haha I love those rare occasions where my husband is out playing tennis in the evening and I don't have work or riding so have the house to myself to just potter/veg.

NL: It sounds like you are well and truly in the trenches at work right now (even more so than the usual workload, which is really saying something!). I am sending you a giant hug for the great work that you do. Thanks also for the kind words re: binging issues. The funny thing is, sometimes you do need to just hear a situation put simply; your comments have added some perspective, thank you.

I've been struggling with drinking thoughts on and off, not in a way that I'm about to pour a drink or go to a bar or anything, but definitely an increase in thoughts of 'wouldn't it just be so much easier to get wasted and numb out the stress for a night' kind of thing. Staying vigilant and staying close to SR as I know these are the kinds of seeds that sprout roots if not weeded out early.

On a positive note, after a challenging jumping lesson on Saturday, I had a great lesson last night jumping with no stirrups. This has restored some of the confidence I desperately need ahead of the winter league competition starting Sunday.

Thinking of you all and sending big hugs and positive vibes
Old 11-08-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Just popping by to wish everyone a great, sober weekend. Hoping y’all manage to get some breathing space and a little down time.

Big hugs
Old 11-10-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in on a freezing but beautiful Sunday morning here. I have the start of what feels like a cold, so (for once) I'm trying to head it off through some rest and self-care. Unfortunately, what I call "self-care" these days is often in the form of food, food, and more food, mostly, sweets. I keep thinking back to a year ago (pointless, I know) when I was in much better shape, eating right, and exercising. I'm sure you all are tired of hearing me repeat myself on this point, and I am too. However, the bright spot is that when I was drinking, I would have used these feelings of powerlessness against myself, spinning down in despair - whereas now, I can at least recognize my problems for what they are, things that can be fixed if I am simply willing to take action to solve them. Easier said than done of course, but can still be done.

Tomorrow is the one day of the year that my office is closed, but schools are open. Typically, I mentally pack as many things as possible into this holy grail of a day, but this year, I'm going to try something different - see how I feel, and go with it - a novel concept that will likely fall apart, but at least my intentions are set.

NC, how did your jumping event go? I am right there with you on the drinking front, definitely not at all ready to undo my sobriety, but "interesting" thoughts are creeping in. I found myself at the grocery store looking at some hard seltzer thing and thinking, "hmm! Look at that!" As you said, it's critical to pull these thoughts out before they can take root.

I hope all are well, and I'll check back soon!
Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Wishing you guys a very Happy Monday - I hope this week is productive and as stress-free as possible for everyone.

Palmer: As you know, I am right there with you on the food/sweets battle ground - I empathise, friend! I've tried to pull back and be more disciplined since last Monday, which I thought I'd done a pretty good job with, except that I've now stayed the exact same on the scales since last Wednesday. Not exactly encouraging! You are absolutely right, though - we shouldn't beat ourselves up about when we were in better shape, or exercising more or whatever. The focus must be forwards and also, how many things have improved since this time last year that you have not thought to give yourself credit for? Not just last year, but think of how far you've come across the board since quitting alcohol. I guarantee that this person today is so much more present, involved and balanced than that person and that has been a hard fought battle (and continues to be from time to time). So I think that's a long winded way of me saying that you should be kind to yourself and cut yourself some slack, because all in all, you're totally killing it!

I love your idea of just going with it today and not trying to run around like a crazy person squeezing so much in. I hope you also manage to carve out some relaxed time for yourself, free from work and kids - even if it's just time to grab a quiet coffee.

My jumping event went relatively well, thank you! I was so nervous, but the people running the event were so friendly and welcoming and it was pretty relaxed in that way, though the place itself was super nice! We knocked one rail unfortunately, but it was a good experience and I know what I need to work on over the next few weeks for the next three Sundays of the league. Having said that, we did get off to an unfortuante but kind of funny start. One of the other riders was helping me to mount by giving me a leg up, but my horse saw something interesting and walked off (something he usually never does) - while I was already mid air - and I missed the saddle and kind of landed on his bum, so he bucked me off! Thankfully I landed OK and on my feet, and a slight twinge to my ankle was the only injury sustained. The worst thing was my bruised ego as two other riders saw it happen! I guess we have to laugh at ourselves!

Have a great week, All!
Old 11-13-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hello, long lost NL here for a sign of life post.

Palmer ahh the holy grail. I could def use one of those days. I was close on Monday but one of my kids had school and then we had to go into the office anyway to get ready for a legislative hearing anyhow

NC happy to hear about the jumping event and learning from it. But sorry about getting bucked! Definitely think humor and self-compassion are the right responses!

Okay hopefully more some day. I’m keeping it brief so I can actually go do yoga, something I haven’t done in way too long. I haven’t been able to do any exercise in way too long. Hoping that changes starting today.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi all

D
Old 11-16-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Hi Dee! Thanks for stopping by. And hi to all others. Hope the weekend is going well for you!
Old 11-18-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

I hope everyone is keeping well. Apologies for my relative silence, the days of last week kind of just blended and passed in a whirr.

NL: Happy to hear you managed to squeeze in some yoga. I booked in for several classes last week and didn't make a single one - need to really fire up my motivation to find tome again as my waistline is rapidly expanding and I can also feel my back seizing up a lot more after riding without the yoga to help ease and strengthen the muscles.

Hi Dee and Palmer, I hope all is great with you both (and anyone else out there!)

So I am super happy to report that my sweet boy and I took first place in our class at the second week of Winter League showjumping competition. I still feel there is a lot of work to be done but one lady did come over to compliment me and say that I rode really nicely, which was such an amazing and lovely thing to hear. I also got the most amazing messages from the owner of the horse (I lease him full time) saying that she has never seen him look so healthy and happy with any other rider and that his whole temperament has changed over the last year since I've had him and that we are a super match together. It made me feel so happy, especially since this lady is tough as old boots and wouldn't be the type to flatter generally speaking.

Work and school are busy but I've had a little breather from assignments and deadlines for school for the last week, which has been really nice. The binge eating has unfortunately flared with a vengeance, however I have vowed to take back control this week.

Take care all
Old 11-19-2019, 03:39 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Hi all, I just typed up a whole long post and then accidentally deleted it! In summary, I wanted to give HUGE congrats to our awesome NC on her first place jumping win, as well as the sincere and meaningful compliment about the amazing care and development of your horse!!! I'll be back as soon as I can, hope all are well!
Old 11-19-2019, 03:45 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

NC that is so wonderful to hear about you and your horse! I know there have been some fits and starts but hope you are proud knowing you stuck with it and have gotten to a good place with him. Hope you can get into some yoga soon too. I’ve only done a couple short classes but it definitely helps me feel more human. Do you have any thoughts on why the eating is flaring up? Just the lack of time to focus on self care? Are you doing a lot of deprivation and beating yourself up? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. That sounds tongue in cheek but I really mean it as a question. Just wondering what comes before it. Or maybe it’s more the desire to escape. That is what I find myself most grappling with these days. Something I could do while living through this nonsense with my job that would also just take some of the edge off. Instead of figuring out how to speed up my plan to not just live through nonsense with my job.

My husband came home drunk last night and was super mean again. It gets so old. Yet another situation I need to figure out a bigger answer for.

But for right now I’m just going to drink a bunch of coffee and putz around the house and/or work out.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hello! Just saying hello and hope everyone’s ok out there.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 11-23-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Hi all! Proof of life post for me too. I had my presentation yesterday to close out the big part of the side project I've been leading since April. I felt unprepared and stressed out, but I think it went pretty smoothly anyway based on the feedback I got. The CEO and CFO were both very nice and told me several times to "come home" back to the large parent organization. I think I entertained the idea with them more than I should have, because as this project moves to implementation, they need someone to lead the new office. I now have a call set up with the CFO for next week and I'm seriously wondering why I couldn't have just left this project free and clear and focused on my new job for the next 10 months or so - then considered a switch, which has been my plan? UGH.

It's still good to have that phase of the project behind me. The woman who gave me such a hard time barely said anything to me, and made her disapproval of the way we planned for this presentation known in a passive-aggressive way (there are 2-3 other people who are on board with her - fellow malcontents). Anyway, I could have done things better and differently but it's behind me. Now I just need to pretend I like them until this officially closes out in December/January.

Sorry to complain so much. I need to move forward and appreciate the fact that I hit 23 months sober last week, that I have a chance to spend time with my family over the holidays, and that I may also see the other side of our family this weekend (who we normally celebrate Thanksgiving and Black Friday with - I live in a family of men, so my SIL and 20-year-old-niece and I generally hit the stores and have some laughs).

How is everyone else? NL, I know this is your first major holiday without your brother. How is your family, and what are your plans? On another note, I was thinking of Sunflower - how is she doing these days?

Hi and hugs to NC, Dee and Scotty, who will hopefully pop in soon!
Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Also a sign of life post! I guess it's the time of year but it's been crazy busy here and seems as though it's the exact same for you guys. Sending hugs to get through the worst of it. thinking of you all even when I don't get time to post!

NL & PS, thank you so much for your kind congratulations re: jumping win, it really means so much to me! Show three of four tomorrow and then next Sunday will be the final instalment. Though it is a lot of fun, I think I'll be happy when it's over, too as I still get super anxious for shows and they are a lot of work and pressure, so will be good to have some time back and to just enjoy riding in a more casual way for the rest of the year.

NL: Thank you for your insights and thoughts around the eating. To be honest, I think that you hit the nail on the head with the 'escape' explanation. I think that when I feel stressed and anxious, I look for something to help me numb out / escape the situation, or 'push the feelings down', literally. Whereas this had been alcohol or food before, I think now that the former has been removed from the options list, I have subconsciously doubled down on the latter. Hoping to rein it in though and have done better that last couple days. It's just so important to stay vigilant for signs, just like with the AV for alcohol.

I'm really sorry to hear that your husband has been acting mean. I can imagine that does get old real quick, not least of all when you have so much on your plate right now and immature, inconsiderate behaviour from your spouse is the last thing you need. Sending hugs

PS: CONGRATS on your presentation!! Sorry that the CEO/CFO are trying to draw you back into their orbit, perhaps you can make a plan ahead of the call next week as to how you intend to steer the conversation to gently but firmly outline your position and your focus for the next year. I'm sorry that lady acted in such an unprofessional manner; it never ceases to amaze me how long people are willing to hold grudges and refuse to take the highroad even when (especially when, in fact) they are in the wrong! I think people like that are simply too closed minded to consider alternative perspectives and lack the emotional intelligence to simply move forward and get over things. It sounds as though the people who matter were really impressed, which is what counts at the end of the day.

Major congratulations on 23 months! Wow. What an achievement. I was reading a book about the sunset strip in the 80s/90s and its crazy how my whole perspective on alcohol and partying has just completely flipped. I have always loved the hair metal / rock scene from back then and always kind of revered the bands from that time; GNR, Motley Crue, etc. However, reading this book just made me feel super sad for everyone and all I could think was what an empty, hollow life that must have been. The devastation and plight of addiction really doesn't get any more glamorous no matter how much fame, riches and beauty you throw into the equation. In the end, an addict is an addict and the abuse of alcohol and drugs is always a lonely road, no matter how many people you have around you. It made me feel really grateful for my sobriety and helped to kick the AV back into touch after a few appearances of late.

Hi Dee! Hope everyone is doing well out there, take care
Old 11-24-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

I apologise in advance but just need to get a mini rant off my chest please. Thank you guys for giving me a non-judgmental space in which I can do that rather than drinking. So I made a real mess of today’s competition and my round was totally embarrassing and just plain awful. I also had some personal stuff happen that I wasn’t expecting nor was I prepared for, which was really awkward. On top of that, I had a really frustrating incident leaving the stables in my car with a woman driving in who was being a total a-hole. Then I got home and had a letter via email from a big client to terminate their contract and as I was reading it l realised a massive part of my back tooth had chipped off and fallen out and as it’s Sunday, I’ll have to wait and see if I can get an emergency appointment.

I am SO sorry to bring the rain cloud, I just feel like I needed to come and unload rather than explode. THANK you guys for being here, you have no idea how much I appreciate y’all.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend
Old 11-24-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Administrator

NC I'm sorry you had a bad day
I hope tomorrow will be better

D
Old 11-25-2019, 02:15 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Feeling better this morning for sure and my dentist has given me an emergency appointment for later to fix my tooth.

Hope everyone has a great week ahead!