Notices

Class of March 2019 Part 2

Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Wow thanks, FR and MG, I think its great that we here on SR can be ammunition for the success of others. I didnt have any sober role models until I started spending time here. there is so much wisdom and dignity floating around these boards. A rising tide lifts all ships.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Kinsoku, I’m with you in terms of disliking shopping and not wanting to spend money but once I finally treat myself to something nice it feels good! Especially when we aren’t spending money on alcohol it’s great to reward ourselves. FMB congratulations one month is a big deal! I haven’t checked in for a couple of days. Just been working and keeping busy. Feeling much better lately and getting some energy back I think. Have definately been sleeping so much better since not drinking. Have a great day everyone
Old 04-04-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Kinzoku, I built so many. The battleship Tirpitz, the sister ship to the more famous Bizmark. The panzer IV battle tank was a favorite. The Sherman A1. Much of my time was spent in military figures. Putting facial expressions on a1/32 scale soldier required plenty of patience. My final piece was a diorama of a U.S. Military supply convoy in a log jamb on the European front. Multiple Wiley's jeeps, a large 6 ton transport, custom built concrete bunker on a muddy road running through the countryside. Probably spent over a year on it. I still have it on display in my basement. Too many years of kids "touching" has left many pieces broken and missing. Oh well, maybe I won't start up again. I don't think I have that much free time.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Day 24

Finalround that is so cool! You should post an image sometime. I wish I had the patience for that kind of stuff. I tried warhammers when i was younger that was too much even.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:39 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
Kinzoku, I built so many. The battleship Tirpitz, the sister ship to the more famous Bizmark. The panzer IV battle tank was a favorite. The Sherman A1. Much of my time was spent in military figures. Putting facial expressions on a1/32 scale soldier required plenty of patience. My final piece was a diorama of a U.S. Military supply convoy in a log jamb on the European front. Multiple Wiley's jeeps, a large 6 ton transport, custom built concrete bunker on a muddy road running through the countryside. Probably spent over a year on it. I still have it on display in my basement. Too many years of kids "touching" has left many pieces broken and missing. Oh well, maybe I won't start up again. I don't think I have that much free time.

Thats awesome FR, what a great way that would be to learn History
Old 04-04-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi All....long but good day, winding down here at home in day 9. I hope I start to get some energy soon LoveDD, I'm dragging but I have been keeping myself pretty busy but making time to just rest too.

Hope everyone has their plan for the weekend and I’m going to work on mine, here to a sober weekend!
Old 04-05-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Thanks MG.

Here is how I plan for weekends.
What can I do that doesn't involve drinking? Then I just fill in the blank.
It's going to be a mild weekend so lots of stuff to do outdoors.

Have a solid Friday everyone?
Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

happy friday
morning check in for another day
have a good one folks!
Old 04-05-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy sober weekend to you all

D
Old 04-05-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi All....a long day and just settling in after a walk with the dog....it is pretty out. Made some tea and going to take it easy., winding down in day 10.

I took a walk in the woods with my dog before work yesterday and picked a bouquet of wildflowers, Indian Paintbrushes, lambs ears and bird bells for my Mom.
I grew up living in the woods and being out there yesterday was so nice. Have a good weekend everyone
Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Day 25

Went out with friends.

I've had a long sober stretch before where I went out with friends who drank, it really honestly doesn't bother me.

I'll say that its odd only in that I have a superpower where I'm way more competent socially than them.

And my bills are way smaller. That's nice.

I felt some depression as I was coming home, I think its just there is a lot changing in my life right now and it can be a little scary.

Sometimes its like...the people who care most about me don't understand me, and the people who are my acquaintances understand way more. That's weird eh.

I'm rambling cus I'm tired.

Happy Friday everyone.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

A few years ago I had stopped drinking for a year. I wasn't drinking as heavily then as I was this past year. Early on I had gone out with couple of friends. I ordered tonic and lime all night. They assumed it was a mixed vodka drink. I got a sandwich and fries also and my bill was $13 U.S. Theirs was over $40 each.

Now, I still get together with friends and socialize. I just leave at 9-10pm. By then all the fun is done and it just becomes a drinking event. Which I would usually be the last to leave. Now I'm out just after the peak of the night, drive home sober, get a good nights rest and have the hole next day to do whatever I want to do. And, I remember the events of the previous night.

As far as those who know us best not seeming to care as much, I think there is a dynamic that goes on there that makes it seem that way. My mom is a recovering alcoholic with 35+ years of sobriety. She is a sweet and wonderful woman but when I told her that I stopped drinking because I'm an alcoholic she waved it off as me being too serious.

Remember, addiction is a very personal disease. It's about us and up to us. Just keep doing what you know to be best for you, kinzo. For me, it doesn't matter what others think, I know I can't drink. And now I really don't want to. I feel absolutely fantastic lately. 48 years old and I get more done in a day than most do in a week. I have energy, ambition, passion.

Hell, it's Saturday morning, I'm up at 630, just because, well rested with coffee in hand, going to be a beautiful day today and it's all mine for the taking.
I don't want to miss another minute of what life has to offer me. Good and bad. I'm ready.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Just checking in with my classmates. The past few days have been super busy. I submitted my resume last week for a higher position in a different department where I work. The Exec Assistant called to schedule an interview, Wednesday morning. I am so happy to be sober. Whether or not I get the position is irrelevant, but knowing I’ll be able to present my best self is awesome.
Happy Sober Saturday!!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Originally Posted by nycway1 View Post
Good morning all! Just checking in with my classmates. The past few days have been super busy. I submitted my resume last week for a higher position in a different department where I work. The Exec Assistant called to schedule an interview, Wednesday morning. I am so happy to be sober. Whether or not I get the position is irrelevant, but knowing I’ll be able to present my best self is awesome.
Happy Sober Saturday!!

Thats great nycway! great attitude....enjoy your weekend!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Thanks Mariah! I have good days and not so good days, always have to try and stay positive.
Wishing you a great weekend too!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Day 26

Thanks Finalround! I totally agree. In this case I didn't mean drinking so much, although at times people close to you don't or refuse to get it. That bothers me less and less as time goes on.

There is a sadness of losing friends who will only see as "my drinking buddy" who suddenly, they have lost. But good people stick around. I'm lucky to have a father who has gone from a heavy drinker to a very moderate one in his old age and a mother who has never dealt with that problem.

And I don't get into relationships with alcoholics, never have. I have no idea how I've avoided that lol

Anyways, its day 26 and I'm checking in because I'll be staying at my lady friends tonight and I wanted to make sure I got my daily post in.

I hope you all have a great day.

I'm struggling with job anxiety but I have no desire to pick up the bottle.

What else, oh yeah I was thinking a bit about why I relapsed two years ago. I might make a dedicated post at some point.

One day, a good day, I just went into the bar with some friends and had a glass of whiskey for no reason at all. Isn't that scary? I didn't need it or want it. I just was maybe tired of the albatross around my neck "I CANT drink". I wasn't ready to accept that.

This is my issue. I refuse to believe there are things I can't do.

Perhaps I should think " I will NEVER do that". That's coming from me, not the outside.

Just thoughts.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Great job NYC. Keep us updated on how the interview goes!
Old 04-06-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Great post final round! The decrease in amount of the restaurant bills is definately a small perk of not drinking!
Old 04-06-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

High anxiety the last couple of nights when I get home from work.....chill job with no stress so not sure why I’m so anxious. I’m sure glad I have medication to help me manage and know not drinking is going to help me manage it better but it sure gets tiring to feel like this

Home for the night, turned cold and rainy and I’ve got the fireplace on and the heat up. Start of a 3 day weekend and going to make it a good one
Old 04-06-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

I'm stopping by (figuratively) to send my greetings from the January 2019 class. I was (like using the past tense) a serious daily drinker for twenty-something years. This is the longest stretch of sobriety that I've had and it has been worth every minute of the struggle. It's nice to hear about how all of you are supporting each other! Please let me know, if I can help (although I'm pretty new at this too). Best part: no hangovers and not wondering (even when I'm down) whether it's the alcohol acting or me.