Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 56

Old 05-11-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Also, why didn't any of you tell be me being a parent is so hard? lol

Any suggestions on dealing with teething? The teething rings are too big for him. We tried to give him a gum massage but he didn't like it.

My wife is such a great mom. But I can see the sadness in her eyes that she has to go back to work soon. For mother's day, I got her a wi-fi digital picture frame for her office. I can take pictures and send them directly to her desk. She's been texting me photos every day when I'm at work and it makes me feel so much better.

I was in California a couple of weeks ago for my first business trip since the baby was born. I must have watched a 30 second video of him cooing around 100 times on the flight and in the hotel. It was HARD being away for a week.

This weekend is my final push for work. Just have to close out three projects and present to clients next week. It sucks that my leave will likely include packing up our apartment, but this house is perfect for our family. Beautiful kitchen. In-law suite downstairs for my wife's family when they visit. Deck and patio for entertaining. Office for work (both my wife and I will be working from home more). Backyard for the kid. Best school district in the state and top 25 high school in the entire country. Walking distance to the train to get me to the city.

I grew up in a row home in north Philadelphia (not a nice neighborhood). I've never had a backyard. I slept on a futon on the floor until I was 13, when I finally got a real bed. I wasn't allowed to go outside and play because there were drug dealers on the corner. I never had friends over because their parents wouldn't let them come near my neighborhood.

Just want to give my son what I never had growing up - a home that feels safe and fun.

Anyways - back to work!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you DD----
Went to the doctor appts this week---ugh.----will fill you in when I find out more.
I thought all this testing stuff was done. Ugh----wrong....
take care and Happy Mothers Day Everyone !
It's my Daughters Birthday and I posted on FB and didn't get a response so, Not sure what is going on there.....as a mom we always worry.
Babs
Old 05-12-2019, 12:47 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Happy Mothers day to those who celebrate it today.

DD, my Gson grabbed one of Mollys chew toys when he was teething - horrified his mum, but man, he gnawed that toy!
I'm so glad you are enjoying your little man and that life sounds like it is going well for you.

Babs, I hope the tests all come back normal x
Old 05-12-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Hello and love to all....and dd honey, don't look at me.....never had kidlets.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

hi ! Just to let you know ---my sister is coming by train tonight
she has a eye Dr. apt. and will be staying a few days. I'm really looking forward to her visit.
Will be in touch she is only here till Sat. Morning----
Hope everyone is doing ok.
Hugs
Babs
Old 05-14-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

xx
Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Got a message out the blue last night from my niece saying she is 4 weeks clean. I truly hope for her sake she makes a go of it this time. She managed to stop heroin for a while when she was pregnant and in the early years of her sons life as she was regularly tested by social services. Unfortunately it didn't last and her son has been fostered and recently adopted by a family who give him all the love and care he missed in his erratic parenting.
My neice started her journey to hard drugs after the death of her father from liver cancer. She began sniffing gas with a friend then smoking weed. She never dealt with her grief and her mum never knew how to reach her, as she had her own grief and was not the most maternal of women. I don't think she really ever confronted her feelings of that period of time. I tried to help her many times, even gave her work in the home I ran when she was clean, but she could never fight the addiction for long, and did everything to get money for drugs.
She says that this time she is quitting for herself. I want so hard for hers sake for it to be true and lasting.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:36 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing her all the best Toots

D
Old 05-15-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Toots, I hope she succeeds!

Babs, I hope you have a good visit with your sister.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Oh Toots I'm so rooting for your niece! It's a positive sign that she's reaching out to you, no?

Did I share that my 8 year old has dyslexia? Here in Florida any 3rd grader who doesn't pass the state standardized reading test has to repeat the year. He has worked so hard this year and made such strides but he's still very behind in reading and in very real danger of failing. Today the school gave him a test that if he passes will allow him to move forward even if he fails the FSA. They didn't tell me he was being tested today. Not that it would have mattered but, I don't know, it seems like kind of a big deal and maybe somehow I could have prepared him for it. His tutor talked me down but I'm a nervous wreck.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Toots hope your niece continues staying clean.

Duff I hope your son did well on his test, they should have made you aware of the test though.

Just got back from the orthopedist. As of Monday I am cleared to go back to work! Now just to do all the stuff I could have been doing around the house for the past month!
Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Ken, glad to hear you are cleared!

Duff, for the parent of a young child, hearing about an issue like dyslexia is especially tough. I have a niece and nephew with dyslexia and although they had some rough times, both are very successful (the one with the more severe case is now a college professor and department chair).
Old 05-16-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Ken, glad to hear you are cleared!

Duff, for the parent of a young child, hearing about an issue like dyslexia is especially tough. I have a niece and nephew with dyslexia and although they had some rough times, both are very successful (the one with the more severe case is now a college professor and department chair).
Sass, I LOVE hearing stories like your niece and nephew's! I see how hard my little one works and I do believe he'll know what it takes to be successful when he grows up. Thanks for sharing .
Old 05-16-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Very pleased for you Ken.

Also hoping that your niece finds the peace of true sobriety this time toots.

And Duff, no, that is not right AT ALL.....they made a huge mistake not allowing you to prepare him, and if (God forbid) he doesn't pass, you can use that to push for a re-test. Hope your lovely boy wasn't too stressed out.

If I may share with you ~ my BIL had dyslexia, quite severely, and he was the same age as your son when he was diagnosed. With a great mum, and great determination, he never let it stop him....he has two degrees....in law and finance. And he is very successful.....he is still a slow reader, but how much does that matter?

Life gives us lemons sometimes, for sure. But people like my BIL show me what we can do if we really work at it. xx
Old 05-16-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Another great story shared! Thank you, Suze. I can never hear enough success stories of children with learning disabilities who go on to achieve great things!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Duff the opticians I worked at had a test card to see if different coloured lenses could help with reading for dyslexics. One girl saw major improvements when she began wearing yellow lenses.
Also, my SIL who is dyslexic struggled with her education but in later years ( in her 40's) put herself through a social services degree. The uni provided help with a personal aide at times and the tutor was really understanding.
It seems ridiculous in this day and age that someone with the intellect to study at their grade level might be held back a year because of motor neural difficulty with one aspect. I would absolutely question the test, and whether it is discriminatory against his condition.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Hi Toots! I have heard about dyslexics having success with lenses, we've had his eyes checked of course but not specifically for this, something to check out for sure. And you are correct, it is discrimination. Florida passed a law several years back which is great in theory but does not address those with learning disabilities. Any 3rd grader who gets a 1 (out of 5) on their reading standardized test must repeat 3rd grade. There are a few good cause exemptions but they include impossible standards for a student with a learning disorder. Most states have a law that a child with an individualized ed plan (IEP) is exempt from being held back but not Florida. I have to work on getting him through this year then I will be looking at getting the laws changed - put this law degree to use for something good . I know there is an argument for repeating grades when a student isn't at grade level but the problem here is that simply repeating the same material in the same manner isn't going to help him accelerate - he needs to keep moving forward with his accommodations.

Then on the other hand his older brother got one of the only perfect scores on the reading FSA in the State last year. They gave him a special celebration and he received an award from the governor. It's not easy for my little one to follow in his big brother's shadow...but he's proud of him and he tells everyone about his brother's score.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Duff, I am betting that your younger son may well achieve more than anyone expects. He is fortunate to have you for a mom, in there fighting for him.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree Duff that having an understanding and supportive parent is more than half the battle

enjoy the weekend everyone

D