Notices

Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 4

Old 03-14-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Thanks, my husband is very ill indeed now. Mobility dropping by the day.

This sponsor issue you share about. One word keeps popping into my head - bullying!

It comes over like you feel and are being bullied. That if you don't do exactly what this lady says, you will be dropped.

As you know there are lots of ways of working the OA program. Some more rigid than others. Some weigh and measure, some don't, some report food daily to sponsors, some don't. Our trigger foods vary greatly.

There is no one size fits all. I feel it is about you deciding what will work best for you.

Glad you are writing about it.

Thank you PW- very grateful for you this morning.

I hope your appointment today gives some more clarity on how to help your husband further. I am truly inspired by the surrender you embody. While I am getting better at it I am no where near the place that you are with it.

I can be one to overreact. I don’t think she would actually ever drop me. Even after my text about the whole dietician thing when I mentioned that I was frustrated, she said the choice was mine. And that she is only sharing with me what worked for her.

I am on step 4 right now and I feel a little abandoned by her. She basically gave me the info for step 4 but we have not talked since last Thursday. So I am kind of lost although I have done my own research on how to get started and she did tell me to call with any questions.

I am seeing that this group is a bit rigid compared to the sponsor I had last year who instead would ask me to send what I had eaten at the end of the day. But I think I need the planning instead. I have already been cheating on my plan and changing my meals around. I told her that this morning in my daily writing. I just have a hard time with the feelings I have at the end of the day when I do not want to eat what I have a planned. I would like to be able to choose between two abstinent meals instead. Going to see if that is an option.

I relapsed last night. I did a relapse protocol this morning and it took me an hour. I feel ok about it. I mean I am not happy by any means but I am still choosing to love myself instead of the usually self hate, shame and guilt. I see that a lot of things caused my relapse and that it lost likely started with my resentment over the food plan.

Anyway. Back to day 1. I would have had 3 weeks today. But it’s okay. I have never in my life gone 21 days without sweeteners so this is a new milestone for me. Going to keep moving forward. I know now that I can do this. I just need to keep moving forward on step 4 and I am sort of at a stand still.

Thanks for listening.
Day 1.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

I am pretty sure I have already told you I think this method of sponsoring is way too controlling Sunny love: bullying is the perfect word for it. In my opinion.
I actually think that's why you relapsed last night.... more hugs. And yes, it will be fine....you are doing this....maybe a sponsor a bit more like PW's would be good. ♥

And PW love....I hear you....this is pretty scary for you now. I am so sorry. Are you looking at palliative care.... Here for you love.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I am pretty sure I have already told you I think this method of sponsoring is way too controlling Sunny love: bullying is the perfect word for it. In my opinion.
I actually think that's why you relapsed last night.... more hugs. And yes, it will be fine....you are doing this....maybe a sponsor a bit more like PW's would be good. ♥

And PW love....I hear you....this is pretty scary for you now. I am so sorry. Are you looking at palliative care.... Here for you love.
Thank you friend. I don’t have any other options as I do not want to go to face to face meetings. I like the fact that I can do this all over the phone. It just works with my schedule. I will talk to her about my concerns and see what we can do. She mentioned I could just ask the dietician to look at my current meal plan but I don’t know that she would do that. I think I am worth the $165. I should just do it so I can say I tried. I am obviously still hanging onto the idea that I have control over all of this and I just don’t. If I had control I would not have relapsed.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Good morning, all,
I am enjoying this discussion on OA, sponsorship, etc. As an AA member, I was never a very good sponsoree. I attached to women who gave me enough room to just check in, and honestly, that was pretty inconsistently. I think more of my sponsorship came in the form of working with groups of people, i. e. coffee after meetings, etc. I have resisted OA, in part, because I am unlikely to work a rigid program or answer to someone.
Having said all of that, I cannot help but wonder if my resistance has anything to do with recent sugar slips. Had another one yesterday--just one ice cream sandwich, but sugar nonetheless. It was an impulse choice, and I immediately regretted it. I am ashamed of my lack of discipline.
The truth is, I have felt restricted lately. My pattern over the years (for many of us, I think) is to restrict-rebel-binge. I've been frustrated by having so few choices, even though that is probably all in my mind. For a while, I was feeling good about my "recovery." I was pretty satisfied with three meals & two snacks; sugar was not tempting me. Now I am obsessed with food. I think about it all the time: What can I eat? What is off-limits? I don't know how my thinking became so distorted. My therapist calls my sugar indulgences slips, not relapses, but how long can I sustain this? I feel that a binge is in my future, and I hate thinking this way.
I really have not committed to a program--OA or anything. I'm not sure what to do. Lately, I have loved my exercise (two new classes), but otherwise, I feel pessimistic. I do contract work, and there hasn't been any recently. I have some scheduled for next week, so maybe I will feel some purpose then. I just don't like relying on external things to feel good inside.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Thank you friend. I don’t have any other options as I do not want to go to face to face meetings. I like the fact that I can do this all over the phone. It just works with my schedule. I will talk to her about my concerns and see what we can do. She mentioned I could just ask the dietician to look at my current meal plan but I don’t know that she would do that. I think I am worth the $165. I should just do it so I can say I tried. I am obviously still hanging onto the idea that I have control over all of this and I just don’t. If I had control I would not have relapsed.

My sponsor and I work entirely over skype, messenger, email etc. We are thousands of miles apart. There are loads of people available online.

I don't want to go to 3d meetings either. I tried the ones local to me. There are three a week, all of which had very little recovery, did not use the Big Book and one of them, well they were bonkers!! Am I allowed to say that? Too late, I did.

Of course you are worth $165, the point is that it sounds like you would just be paying it to appease someone who really doesn't need appeasing.

Anyways I am sure you will decide how you want to take this forward.

I would have relapsed too with the stress of all this.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
My sponsor and I work entirely over skype, messenger, email etc. We are thousands of miles apart. There are loads of people available online.

I don't want to go to 3d meetings either. I tried the ones local to me. There are three a week, all of which had very little recovery, did not use the Big Book and one of them, well they were bonkers!! Am I allowed to say that? Too late, I did.

Of course you are worth $165, the point is that it sounds like you would just be paying it to appease someone who really doesn't need appeasing.

Anyways I am sure you will decide how you want to take this forward.

I would have relapsed too with the stress of all this.
Thank you for that last comment. It makes me feel better about my relapse. I do think some food I ate triggered the allergy first and then the emotional stuff on top didn’t help.

May I ask how you found your sponsor? I didn’t know there were more options out there. I am happy so far with my sponsor though and I sent my info to the dietician yesterday. I have nothing to lose and I have to stop thinking that I know all of the answers. That is my ego talking. And my ego keeps me stuck in my disease.

Hope you are doing well and that your husband is feeling more comfortable.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

From Bitten Jonsson, sugar addiction expert: (English is not her first language so please excuse the typos)

“Different expression/coping mechanisms of sugar/flour/processed foodddiction

It is extremely important to distinguish between harmful use and addiction by making SUGAR®, se information on my website . A person with “harmful use” is able to use many tools to learn eating in moderation which is what a lot of "experts" without addiction competence advice addicts to do, not understanding that it will be sending someone “on a wild goose chase” and leading an addict deeper and deeper in to the illness with a more severe denial and dangerous disease development with more severe consequences.
I use to say that we Sugaraddiction Professionals are “the last house on the street” i.e clients seek help from us when they have tried everything else.

If someone has a sugaraddiction, pathological eating behavior’s are often a way to try to control the addiction/drug which of course is impossible, the only solution is to work with abstinence based treatment i.e. remove the drug, sugar/flour/processed foods. Some have developed a process-addiction alongside the sugaraddiction for example overeating, volume addiction, restriction, screens, exercise addiction, and also other intake addictions such as alcohol and nicotine ( most common ) .
My experience is that sugar / flour always comes first, before other outlets, sugar is the gateway drug. We are talking today about a disease with several outlets but there is a need for expertise to investigate this and too few have that competence yet. Treatment facilities state you "should take one drug at a time" usually alcohol or some street drug’s, but I do not agree at all because when you are newly sober it often happens that you use sugar as a replacement or go back to your primary addiction and it disturbs biochemistry so the risk of relapse in to alcohol/drugs is huge.

Here are some of the ways in which a “sugaraddict’s” tries to “control” the cravings and develop a “processaddiction”

Volume eating, eating large amounts of everything, even abstinent food.
Many think they eat due to emotional unstability but few realize the chaos is due to severe blood sugar swings, i.e they eat due to false feelings created by the drug itself.
Overeating and purging, can be starving at times, different diets, exercise, so on.
Weight obsession.
Self-starving. Restriction behavior
Fasting for periods.
Purification, detox program, intestinal cleansing, purging.
Fashion diets, raw food, paleo, LCHF, dash, vegetarian, vegan, constantly trying new diets
Switching between bingeing and starving. Periods of fasting with binge eating.
Calorie counting
Strict keto, but lot,s of Ketobread, Ketodesserts.
Obsessed with weight
Gastric By Pass, Sleeve, Aspiration and such
Feed others, make sure others eat a lot, but restrict themselves
Celebrate everything, a chance to eat their favorite drug of choice
Eat to counteract lack of energy (energy depleted by the drug )
Grazing, chews on something all the time but spits out

And I am sure there are many more ways sugaraddiction expresses itself. If it is and addiction, it is an addiction and has to be treated first.”
Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by murrill View Post
Good morning, all,
I am enjoying this discussion on OA, sponsorship, etc. As an AA member, I was never a very good sponsoree. I attached to women who gave me enough room to just check in, and honestly, that was pretty inconsistently. I think more of my sponsorship came in the form of working with groups of people, i. e. coffee after meetings, etc. I have resisted OA, in part, because I am unlikely to work a rigid program or answer to someone.
Having said all of that, I cannot help but wonder if my resistance has anything to do with recent sugar slips. Had another one yesterday--just one ice cream sandwich, but sugar nonetheless. It was an impulse choice, and I immediately regretted it. I am ashamed of my lack of discipline.
The truth is, I have felt restricted lately. My pattern over the years (for many of us, I think) is to restrict-rebel-binge. I've been frustrated by having so few choices, even though that is probably all in my mind. For a while, I was feeling good about my "recovery." I was pretty satisfied with three meals & two snacks; sugar was not tempting me. Now I am obsessed with food. I think about it all the time: What can I eat? What is off-limits? I don't know how my thinking became so distorted. My therapist calls my sugar indulgences slips, not relapses, but how long can I sustain this? I feel that a binge is in my future, and I hate thinking this way.
I really have not committed to a program--OA or anything. I'm not sure what to do. Lately, I have loved my exercise (two new classes), but otherwise, I feel pessimistic. I do contract work, and there hasn't been any recently. I have some scheduled for next week, so maybe I will feel some purpose then. I just don't like relying on external things to feel good inside.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Your actions have nothing to do with self discipline- sugar causes a chemical reaction in our body- it is a drug! You are not to blame for the cravings or for the fact that you feel you can't stop reaching for it.

I'm sorry you are feeling so down at the moment- I would imagine not having a steady income/job would leave most of us feeling stressed or worried about things.

Your therapist is only going on the info that she feels is right- if you are not trying to avoid sugar all together than perhaps it is a slip. But if you are trying to abstain from sugar then I would say it's a relapse. But really, the lingo is irrelevant. You sound overwhelmed by all of this and I can understand and relate to that feeling. It took me a long time to figure out what foods my body can and cannot eat. The only way you will know is by trial and error. Also, if you are constantly thinking about food my guess from my own experience is that you are eating a lot of carbs and that you may be carb sensitive. The only time my obsession with eating went away was when I switched to keto. I'm not saying this is what you need to do, but perhaps it is an option for you? Maybe you are more carb sensitive than you realize? I could be totally wrong too. You could just be overwhelmed but all of the conflicting information out there about food.

Sigh- I feel I've just confused you more and I am sorry. I want to help you like I want to help myself and all of us suffering. Let me know what I can do . Sending big hugs your way today...
Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Well, I don't see any of us as suffering per se....I see us as champions, determined to win this battle. We have some painful scrimmages, but all in all we are gaining ground.

Mixed metaphors much?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post

May I ask how you found your sponsor? I didn’t know there were more options out there. I am happy so far with my sponsor though and I sent my info to the dietician yesterday. I have nothing to lose and I have to stop thinking that I know all of the answers. That is my ego talking. And my ego keeps me stuck in my disease.

Hope you are doing well and that your husband is feeling more comfortable.
On a site similar to this one.

Thanks about my husband, he has been very ill all day. I made sure I went out and had some fun and self care.

Last edited by PeacefulWater12; 03-15-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: i was waffling on
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

(((PW))) ♥♥

Here for you love 100%....please PM if you want to talk....I don't want to intrude but I would love to chat if you want.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

(((PW))) ♥♥

Here for you love 100%....please PM if you want to talk....I don't want to intrude but I would love to chat if you want.
Thanks that is kind of you. Sorry I didn't answer your question a few posts back. Regarding Palliative Care.

It is in place, at present hubby is with the Community Chronic Illness team, as his condition progresses, he will be referred to other teams, one of which is Palliative.

Actually I am saying this wrongly! Ok - reality is <<< I >>> have put it all in place.

I write as if it has done itself. It has not. I did it all.

Do you know what he has done to contribute to his care? A big fat nothing! Other than moan and criticise, of course!!!

Lots of eye opening codie stuff here for me to learn from. A gift to me for my learning. A stinky one but a gift all the same. One I will take and use to its fullest to learn from.

I look back now and think "what the heck was I thinking, taking all this on". Becoming caregiver for a person who does not co-operate and who is in a world of denial which he protects verbally fiercely if anyone challenges that denial.

Food wise I am on track.

Thanks for your kind offer of PM'ing.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Well, I don't see any of us as suffering per se....I see us as champions, determined to win this battle. We have some painful scrimmages, but all in all we are gaining ground.

Mixed metaphors much?
Interesting post, Ms Cat.

My current take on my various addictions are that I adopted them when I needed them. To help me through growing up in a raging alkie, dysfunctional home. The fear and insecurity was soothed by sweet foods.

Other addictions added in along the way, however it got to where they were no longer a useful tool for me, they became the problem.

I have heard this in 12 steps meetings plenty of times. That the initial solution became the problem over time.

How I see it is that I am correcting and updating old behaviours. Changing my default. Like a computer updates!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

I PM'd back

I couldn't do it.....wouldn't....I think you are amazing....but I don't think it is at all codie: I think it is upholding your marriage vows....I was having an awful few days, and just a text form a friend that said: for better or for worse, not always easy huh? Wow....it made such a difference to me.

Your husband is very lucky that you are such a good wife love.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I PM'd back

I couldn't do it.....wouldn't....I think you are amazing....but I don't think it is at all codie: I think it is upholding your marriage vows....I was having an awful few days, and just a text form a friend that said: for better or for worse, not always easy huh? Wow....it made such a difference to me.

Your husband is very lucky that you are such a good wife love.
Thank you. Caring for a very ill spouse is never easy, but add in the alcoholism and the thinking and attitudes that come with it and urgh!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Checking in this bright, cold but sunny morning.

Having a good declutter from my home - again.

I love to live simply yet I gather all manner of complicated rubbish!

I know I thrive when I "keep it simple".

I have a fabulous and very simple program so - note to self - just get on and do it. I look to add in all sorts of complications and insane rules.

Then I notice what I am doing and have to clear them all out.

So my beautifully simple plan for today is -

eat my lovely safe foods, jot them down as I go, to keep my focus clear, eat the amount my body needs and likes.

Be the person I want to be.

What is rather amusing to me is that me (Mrs Eating Disorder for 40 years) is often asked for advice on fitness and healthy eating. People see the outside appearance of me and want what I have. Haha, I doubt they would if they knew the inside stuff!

My neighbour just complicated me on how slim and healthy I look. That she envied me!! Riiiight!
Old 03-17-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Bang on track with my food today. Enjoyed it.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:35 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Checking in at the start of fresh week. My goal being to eat kindly and well each day, enjoy serenity. Keep myself in gentle balance with my food, actions and thoughts.

Been enjoying some Big Book workshop podcasts. So uplifting.

I notice to keep my eating healthy and eating disorder dormant, I need to address the whole of my life. If I do that, the food takes care of itself. I don't have to need to take the first bite of one of my compulsive foods therefore setting the cravings off.

My favourite meal at present is eggs scrambled in butter, with cheese melted over them and chunks of avocado. Good sprinkling of salt. Along with lovely cup of tea. Delicious and brings solid chemical balance in my body.

Have a peaceful week all.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I would love to get those podcast links love....been quite a while since I did a BB workshop...

Happy Lovely Monday all....it is bright and sunny and the birds are singing.

s
Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I would love to get those podcast links love....been quite a while since I did a BB workshop...

Happy Lovely Monday all....it is bright and sunny and the birds are singing.

s
This is my current favourite.

http://www.experiencethebigbook.org/episodes/

I am also a fan of Joe&Charlie which the man who does these workshops is. His style is similar.