Notices

Class of January 2019 Part 2

Old 01-16-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Welcome Andy!

Like many of you I'm also suffering from intense irritability. Every little thing is driving me crazy and I know I'm being irrational but I can't help it. Trying to keep a lid on it as much as possible. I know it's just a phase I'm going through that will pass.

Still exercising every day which is a good outlet and it's great being in a routine, My sweet tooth has went insane! I went out and bought a load of healthy sweet treats to enjoy and I'm working them into my calories on a daily basis. Is anyone else dealing with the intense sugar cravings still? It's not something that's bothering me

The only thing I'm worried about at the moment is when January is over. At the moment I've told everyone I'm quitting alcohol because I'm doing dry/sober January which a lot of people are doing after Christmas. I'm just worried about when January is over. I definitely am not going back to drinking but I just need a plan. My partner is doing it too and is already dropping in the odd hints about how much alcohol is a miss and she can't wait to have a glass of wine etc.

Started reading the naked mind. A few chapters in so far so I'm gonna read more tonight. Day 16 down
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Andy1

D
Old 01-16-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
JJ9

Wow! I just stood at my kitchen sink for about 20 minutes debating myself on whether I should pour myself a drink (only one very strong one left in the bottle) which I reasoned would give me a nice buzz but wouldn’t give me any negative effects. I literally dumped out my water (left my ice in the cup) and went to pour the vodka but at the last second I poured it in the sink instead of my glass. That was a close one! I cannot believe how seriously crazy I felt standing there going back and forth with myself. So ridiculous! But the challenge is done. Nothing left in the house. Day 16 will be done soon.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

@Hope 528 just wondering how you are feeling now? Hope you are feeling a tad better.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Anyone else a nightowl, that just wishes it would stay night? Lol
Old 01-16-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

I used to be a night owl, now I have no energy. I can manage to stay awake for only a few hours a day then I’m depleted. I do feel great after I drag myself to the gym and do a workout but then I eat dinner and have to rest. I’m on antidepressants but I am hibernating like a bear. At least the nightmares have calmed down but the vivid dreams continue.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Finally! Made it to the 2 week point today. Had my doctors appointment today (for BP) and it was lower. No additional meds needed. Tomorrow my goal is to start working out again. Have a good day everyone!
Hope
Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

What's up all. Just checking in on this rainy day. Spent my whole day indoors trying to be productive and keep busy.

I hope you're all well.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Some people reading this might remember me but it's been a long time. It's really hard for me to write this but I returned to drinking a couple of years ago after living sober for over four years. Maybe at some point I will feel like explaining in detail what happened, but not right now... what it comes down to is that I fell into the age old trap of wanting to believe I was cured and could drink normally.

After spending a good deal of time messing up my life, I am back. I have a partner I care deeply about who I think I would lose if I did not quit drinking again, because I keep starting stupid irrational fights with him when I am drunk But beyond that, I want to get healthy and have a clear mind again. I am scared about what I might have been doing to my liver and I have missed being able to sleep well and having the focus that comes with sobriety.

I'm scared that I will fail at this again but it's too risky not to try. My partner has been completely supportive and has been handling this like a champ. He was not in my life yet the last time I was sober, and I've only recently confided in him about all of that, but he's totally handled everything I've thrown at him and is proud of me for trying again. Which is helping.

This is way more than I meant to write for my first post back... but I'm glad to be back here again.

So here I am, class of January 2019, day 5.

SBTS
Old 01-16-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you've struggled but I'm very glad you made it back SBTS

D
Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
It's brilliant when a day goes to plan like it has for me today. I set a lot of goals and I completed them and it has left me feeling positive.

Gym - 06:30 (Weights) = DONE
Meeting - 10:00 (Long Journey - Didn't have to go - but was good that I did) = DONE
Lunch - 12:30 (with important client) = DONE
Gym - 15:00 (45 minute run on treadmill) = DONE

Happy
Good for you! Nice job. You must have felt fabulous at the end of the run.
Keep it up. I made it to the gym, I did weight, lower body & some core work. Love the high that I get from it. I guess that I should go more often. :-)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

day 16

Hello friends, Day 16, still SOBER! Yay! Had a decent day at work, I am hearing the AV. They say things like, your friends don't like you anymore, you are worthless, you are not a good person......Knocking my self esteem down.....The voices kind of went away after the gym but I can still hear them whispering in the background. I don't like the voices. Kind of making me a little weepy. It is almost bedtime. Hope that I can get a good nights sleep. We will chat tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone making milestones and moving forward today

D
Old 01-16-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Welcome Andy and welcome back STBS. JJ9: great you didn't give in to AV.

I'm grateful that I stayed sober today for day 16 but I was definitely more triggered than usual. I skipped meals and went to work. Being hungry after work is my biggest trigger; I can't keep skipping meals.

I still get slight rashes on my liver; so, that must say something about how much pressure I was putting on it. It's a reminder of the poison that I was consuming. I need a routine for sleeping and eating.

I'm grateful for everyone's posts. They keep me going. Thank you.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I’m new. This is day one for me (again) . . . Sadly there have been multiple previous attempts at recovery. I hope to finally be successful. I’m turning 50 this year, and I’ve been abusing alcohol for 31 years. That number is staggering. Anyway . . . It is what it is. I look forward to learning from others along the way.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome jrents

D
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Welcome jrents! This is a great group of supportive people taking it one day at time just like you. I've been trying to get sober for the last ten years and have never been consistent or taken it seriously. But you and I are close in age. I can tell that it is taking a toll on my body in a serious way. We're here for you.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

welcome Andy, jrents, and soberbythesea. So pleased you're with us. SBTS, 4 years is amazing. I'm sorry you went back to the drink, bu I'm glad you're back on the right path.

I don't have a lot to say tonight. It was a good day with a much better mood than yesterday, so I'm thankful for that.

Noaddedsugar, I am eating so much better, but I do allow myself to have a sweet treat at the end of the day. It's just enough to have something to look forward to, but not too much to become a new addiction.

I'm nursing a bit of plantar faciitis, so I've had to cut back on running. That's a bit frustrating for me, since running is my outlet. I'll take it easy though and hope this heals quickly. I still enjoy walking and getting to the gym when I can (which isn't very often.)

Anyway, wrapping up day 17 and so please to be a non-drinker.

Goodnight, friends.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
Welcome jrents! This is a great group of supportive people taking it one day at time just like you. I've been trying to get sober for the last ten years and have never been consistent or taken it seriously. But you and I are close in age. I can tell that it is taking a toll on my body in a serious way. We're here for you.
Thank you. And yes, the toll on the body is obvious. I looked at my reflection today and noticed I look awful . . . Tired, red eyes, bloated coughing due to reflux, a second chin . . . The man in the mirror looks awful. Time to be honest about the health of the patient.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
@Hope 528 just wondering how you are feeling now? Hope you are feeling a tad better.
I feel a lot calmer today. Today was better. Thank you!!